The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-17-2015, 05:03 AM

Default Which would you prefer?

Could use a little help deciding on which guitar to buy. I'm currently deciding between a couple of brands like Furch/Stonebridge, Lakewood, Larrivee and Breedlove, but I'm open to any suggestions or recommendations.

I have a budget of around $1500 give or take. I'm looking to get something smaller than a dreadnought and will be using it mainly for writing songs with (mostly light pick strumming with some fingerpicking.)

I usually tend to lean towards warmer tones and more importantly well balanced tones. Nothing muddy or overly bright will be great. I would really appreciate it if you could take the time to give me some recommendations. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2015, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Hi Sabsjl,
Welcome to the forum. What music stores are near you? This is one of those decisions that takes a wee bit of legwork. (I enjoy the process of trying out different guitars.)

I'm partial to 000 or OM sized guitars for balance. Of the brands you're interested in, I have most experience with Larrivee: I own a Larrivee parlor guitar that travels with me.

There are several Furch owners on the forum who'll chime in.

Ditto for Breedlove. The really good news is that you've got a good budget to work with.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 05-17-2015, 07:50 AM

I agree with Jim. Welcome to the forum!
Old 05-17-2015, 08:07 AM

I almost made my mind up to get a Furch G22CR, but I've heard cases of the guitar swelling up in high heat and humidity due to thin braces. And I currently live in Singapore where it's constantly high in those areas. Has anyone experienced that before?
Old 05-17-2015, 08:25 AM

With the humidity in Singapore you are going to need to monitor it no matter what brand it is. If it were me I would likely look into a nice Gibson slope shoulder, then make sure to regulate the environment that it was stored in.

Best of luck in the search!

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 05-17-2015, 08:58 AM

If I lived in a place with constant high humidity I would look into Rainsong or Emerald. I'm serious. Take the worry out of the equation. My Rainsong Shorty did cost a little more than 1500, it's true, but It was worth it. Aside from relieving my anxiety about how it will react to the weather, I think it sounds as good as many wooden guitars in its price range.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:36 AM

Default Choices

Breedlove has a Spruce over Myrtlewood Dread that's made here in the states and has a great tone and playability. I was very impressed with it.

Its a little bigger than you said you're after, but it's at your price point. It would be worth auditioning if you can find one.

Just a suggestion.

Last edited by PTC Bernie; 05-17-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:49 AM

Sounds like a J-35 or used J-45 would fit the bill if you want a warm, balanced tone.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 05-17-2015, 09:55 AM

what SJ VanSandt said....do yourself a favour and consider an Emerald or Rainsong. Carbon fibre means no humidity issues and the sound is wonderful. I am biased as I own an Emerald
Old 05-17-2015, 10:01 AM

I recently bought a Breedlove Oregon dread (spruce/myrtle) and a Lakewood A-14 auditorium 12 fretter (spruce/hog). I'm delighted with both of them, but they are both bright guitars, although the Breedlove, like Kim Kardashian, has a terrific bottom-end. I think that may be due to dread size. Much as I like these guitars, I would not recommend either to someone that tended not to like bright-sounding instruments - I happen to prefer them to darker sounding ones.

If I were looking for something darker/warmer, I'd be strongly tempted by Seagull's new Studio Artist Concert spruce/rosewood number. It's dead on your budget, and it looks really nice.

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/n...ase--SASCH.htm
Old 05-17-2015, 10:03 AM

Default Which would you prefer?

I have no experience with carbon fibre guitars so I can't comment on the above recommendations.

I do however have a lot of experience with Furch (they've dropped the Stonebridge brand name now I think). They are excellent instruments and, at least in Europe, are very good value for the money. I usually say you're getting something like Taylor quality for around half the price - and we own both those brands! Furch does some gorgeous OM and GA models, I would suggest you check out the rosewood/cedar or rosewood/spruce combinations. Ours is a maple/spruce OM so potentially a little too bright or direct for your liking but we love it. We live in a cold climate (Sweden) so our worry is dehydration, not excess humidity and we need to keep our OM23SF humidified all the time. That said, it is one of the nicest acoustic guitars I have ever played.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-17-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
?...........I'm delighted with both of them, but they are both bright guitars, although the Breedlove, like Kim Kardashian, has a terrific bottom-end..........
I didn't think the Breedlove's bottom end was that big.........?
Old 05-17-2015, 10:25 AM

Not on your list of brands, but the Martin 15 series guitars have a ton of warmth. The 000 size is balanced and versatile.

And, mahogany tops are very sturdy.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:27 AM

Play a Taylor 312 before you decide.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:41 AM

I have had a Furch OM35 SR for about a month . Its a phenomenal guitar and here in Europe at least is incredible value .
This is my first attempt at posting a picture using Imgur so .. excuse me if this fails ... I'll try again !
Singapore is certainly an unforgiving climate for any instrument but I imagine that you have AC's whirring all year 'round and can keep the guitar in its case ... I wonder where you have heard about those issues with Furch .. I have not heard anything like this .... could happen to any guitar in that climate .

Best of luck ... maybe a second hand buy might be best ? ... the woods may have settled a bit and become more stable ?
Mine is brand new ... made in March ... and I'm quite certain that it has changed a little since I have had it .. unless its in my imagination it seems to have warmed a bit ...

Last edited by GeorgedeA; 05-17-2015 at 10:47 AM. Reason: failed image

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
breedlove, furch, lakewood, larrivee