The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-11-2011, 02:43 PM

Default olson

I got to play a used Olson today! The local music store had one on consignment. Nice nice guitar and it played great too. The neck was a little thin for me, and the inlays were not what I would choose. This thing cost the same as a car! Ouch! It was nice though.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
It was nice though.
Hi Mystic, there are a few folks here who think the same
Old 02-11-2011, 05:02 PM

Olson's really seem to hold value so in that sense they are a solid investment. Olson's are made really well, the workmanship is near perfect. Since I have small hands the neck is not an issue for me. The neck is stable and the guitar stays in tune. Olson's have a signature sound that is well thought out and perfected by the builder. I almost didn't buy a used one because of the bling, but when I played the SJ I fell in love with it. The tone iMHO is distinctive and well worth the dollars spent. I would buy another without hesitation. Oh one other thing to note, the Baggs LB6 pickup is amazing. That along with an external mic on the body makes for amplified perfection or very close to it.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:14 PM

I've been really tempted to make the drive over to Mass Street Music in Lawrence to play the Brazilian SJ they have on consignment right now. Just a little too far to go just to play for an hour or so. Plus I'm going to Healdsburg festival this year, so I'll get to play tons of great ones there
Old 02-11-2011, 05:22 PM

I bought a used one from Fine Acoustics in Maryland last fall. I must have played almost every guitar in the shop. The Olson won out over all of them. We just recorded a some tracks a few weeks ago with Jon Herington playing some acoustic music he wrote. The first will be on his facebook site this coming Monday. If you want to know what mine sounds like listen to Keaggy's "Beyond Nature".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop