The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2020, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

I have a first gen (2015) D Jr that's great. But it's not the one I reach for first. Thus, it's in like new condition. I've toyed with selling it but I never seem to. I don't use it for a travel guitar so I got it a Martin hard case. And it sounds like a Martin.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:25 PM

What years were the first-generation of the Juniors produced? I'm thinking about getting a used one because, frankly, I can't afford a "big boy" Martin, even used. But I have played some of the earlier models and I really liked them.

I found one but the serial number shows it was made in 2017 or 2018. It doesn't have a built-in pickup so the guy put on an after-market pickup wired directly to the input jack so no controls at all. I really don't have need for a pickup so I imagine I may or may not remove it.

How many "generations" are there of this model? I know the newer ones have a thinner depth, right? And if so I definitely would not be interested in that.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Mitchell ME1
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 01-18-2020, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
What years were the first-generation of the Juniors produced? I'm thinking about getting a used one because, frankly, I can't afford a "big boy" Martin, even used. But I have played some of the earlier models and I really liked them.

I found one but the serial number shows it was made in 2017 or 2018. It doesn't have a built-in pickup so the guy put on an after-market pickup wired directly to the input jack so no controls at all. I really don't have need for a pickup so I imagine I may or may not remove it.

How many "generations" are there of this model? I know the newer ones have a thinner depth, right? And if so I definitely would not be interested in that.
As far as I know they came out in 2015. I'm not sure how many versions since then but I know they kind of renamed it a couple of years ago with the "E" designation and then I think they had a burst version as well. I have heard that the newer version has a slightly narrower width.

Send me a PM. I might be interested in letting mine go.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:07 PM

I owned a GS Mini (sapele) and a Dr Jr-E and did not like the Martin Dr Jr.

Instead, I like my GS mini very much, except for the nut width which was too narrow for my fingers - therefore I sold it and bought a Martin DrJR. I found that:

- set up out of the box was not good. By googling, I realized this is a quite popular complain. Really factor in $ for a professional setup.

- Sound is a bit "thin". I was expecting that not being a full-bodied Martin, still my expectations were higher given it's an all-solid instrument. Some people says that after a setup and changing the saddle to a bone one, the guitar really opens up. I recommend you trying that.

- Plugged in, the guitar sounded fine.

- I loved the neck as it's identical to my Martin OM-28 (not ebony/rosewood though, so the feel is a bit cheaper but that's fine).

- I hated the travel bag. The GS mini really struck me as a travel guitar, whereas the Dr. Jr did not feel as portable.

I saw that Martin recently announced the OM Jr. and I would be interested in trying that. Yet, my travel guitar of choice today would be a GS hog or a Voyage.

Ll.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
As far as I know they came out in 2015. I'm not sure how many versions since then but I know they kind of renamed it a couple of years ago with the "E" designation and then I think they had a burst version as well. I have heard that the newer version has a slightly narrower width.

Send me a PM. I might be interested in letting mine go.
The depth was changed. The original had a very strong bass.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

I had an older DJr. a couple of years ago, and I think the new DJr.-10 has a shallower body. Why did they make the body narrower? You'd think Martin wanted to preserve the all the bass response all they could.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:27 PM

Maybe to market it to children and smaller people.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion