The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-27-2019, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Default Foot rest, neck up device or install a strap?

How do you play (especially steel string players who also play classicals)?

I have a foot rest, but I'm thinking I need the neck up more or maybe I have the guitar in the wrong position.
Life (midi version, guitar version in "Show & Tell"). This is how I hear the tune in my head without my guitar playing mucking it up:

<>

My music on Reverbnation

2016 Avalon L2-320C, 2004 Larrivee OM-05, 2015 Guild D-120c, 2016 Gibson J-45, 2003 Martin D-16GT

Cordoba C5
Old 12-27-2019, 10:39 AM

I was primarily a classical player who used a footrest and/or a guitar support for many years. However, I started on a steel string and I've moved back to playing primarily steel string over the past 5-6 years. There's definitely a bias against straps in the classical community, and that might be for good reason given the precision of finger placement and lateral movement required to play complex classical and jazz pieces; this kind of precision might be more difficult using a strap because it does not provide as solid a base for the guitar (i.e., more movement and less control than having multiple points of contact with your body). But, for my money, a strap is where it's at--even on a classical. It takes a while to get used to the movement of the guitar, but a strap allows one to sit or stand, and so it is the most versatile option.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
I was primarily a classical player who used a footrest and/or a guitar support for many years. However, I started on a steel string and I've moved back to playing primarily steel string over the past 5-6 years. There's definitely a bias against straps in the classical community, and that might be for good reason given the precision of finger placement and lateral movement required to play complex classical and jazz pieces; this kind of precision might be more difficult using a strap because it does not provide as solid a base for the guitar (i.e., more movement and less control than having multiple points of contact with your body). But, for my money, a strap is where it's at--even on a classical. It takes a while to get used to the movement of the guitar, but a strap allows one to sit or stand, and so it is the most versatile option.
Are those hook on sound hole straps decent or should I get out my drill....
Life (midi version, guitar version in "Show & Tell"). This is how I hear the tune in my head without my guitar playing mucking it up:

<>

My music on Reverbnation

2016 Avalon L2-320C, 2004 Larrivee OM-05, 2015 Guild D-120c, 2016 Gibson J-45, 2003 Martin D-16GT

Cordoba C5
Old 12-27-2019, 11:02 AM

Default Sagework guitar supports

Iíve tried them all. Footstool gave me a serious back issue. Suction cups marred the guitar finish and fell off at the most inopportune times. Straps just felt weird. Iím having the Sagework support ($76 for one guitar, additional magnets can be orderer for other guitars) on four classicals. If I like them, I may think about putting them on the steel strings as well.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

I think I might try a strap with suction cups first.

<>

My music on Reverbnation

Cordoba C5
Old 12-27-2019, 02:38 PM

I have a strap on both my Cordobas, same attachment points as my steel strings, heel of the neck on the treble side and butt end of course. I like to stand and play as I do with my steel stings. I know this is all blasphemy but I am NOT a classical guitarist. I use my nylon string instruments for pop, country, rock, folk all kinds of different music.
Larrivee L-01
Taylor GS Mini walnut
Cordoba C10 crossover
Cordoba Cadete
Ukuleles....way too many to list
Old 12-27-2019, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Iíve played nylon string guitars a lot with all three options - various guitar supports, footrest, and straps.

My favorite, by far, is using a Slider guitar strap and standing up while playing. The Slider strap is ergonomic, equalizes pressure and weight distribution on the body, and keeps the guitar stable right where it works best for me.

Best wishes finding what works the best for YOU!
Old 12-28-2019, 12:18 AM

Iím a big fan of the Neck Up. I used to play in a classical position. Started with the Neck Up on my left leg, then changed to my right. My back is very comfortable this way. Note that I donít own a guitar thatís larger than a Gibson L-00. I have one lacquer finish guitar that the suction cup started leaving a mark on, so I put the plastic sheet that comes with the Neck Up on the guitar. You also have to use the plastic sheet on guitars that donít have the pores filled. This sounds a bit fussy, but it really isnít once youíre set up. I also like that the Neck Up has some give to it.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsepicker View Post
Iíve tried them all. Footstool gave me a serious back issue. Suction cups marred the guitar finish and fell off at the most inopportune times. Straps just felt weird. Iím having the Sagework support ($76 for one guitar, additional magnets can be orderer for other guitars) on four classicals. If I like them, I may think about putting them on the steel strings as well.

this.

Ll.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical