The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-26-2012, 07:27 PM

Default joining warped top and back plates???

i have some sinker redwood and mango plates that need to be joined but they are slightly warped. i have tried clamping them onto a flat surface but nothing seems to work. they aren't warped that much though so i was wondering if anyone had some tips on joining them. i tried my hand at making a facsimile of the lmi plate joining jig but it just wasn't flat enough and the back just cracked down the seem, some parts broke at the wood which meant it was a somewhat good attempt. i was wondering if i should just bite the bullet and get the lmi joining jig??

sorry for the long winded post and thanks for any help you can give a burgeoning luthier.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

If your plates are warped their are trying to tell you something ... so listen to what the wood is trying to tell you! You need to build your instrument in a humidity controlled environment. You are going to fight this project the entire way if you don't. Joints don't like to be forced together under tension or resistance.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:49 PM

thanks for the advice tim, big fan. i was wondering that myself, but i am literally trying to do this out of my garage and don't have the money to control the humidity of my room, i keep all the wood in my room inside to try to keep the humidity constant. but no luck i brought the redwood outside for like 10 minutes when i was jointing them and it went perfectly straight but i had to bring it back inside because the temperture swings outside in the garage are too extreme and 10 min after i brought it back inside it curved again
Old 03-26-2012, 08:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

You are learning first hand how important accurate humidity control is. The thin wood that we build instruments with will pretty much turn into a potato chip in a matter of minutes when you move it from a dry environment to a moist one and vice versa. When you try to force it into shape it will resist as it seeks to reach moisture equilibrium with its surroundings. If you clamp it into position while you glue the joint then the tension and resistance in the wood will try to blow the joint apart. Not trying to rain on your parade but just sharing some incite into the roads some of us have traveled before.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:57 PM

thanks for the advice, i want to do it right i don't really want to fudge my way through. my philosophy is do it right the first time and then you do it right every other time. i will take the humidity into consideration maybe make myself a box and attach a some humidity control unit to it to store my wood in until i can afford a workshop

and thanks for all the advice tim i follow all of your threads on the costum build page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop