The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-29-2020, 10:02 AM

I use a pair of MC930’s and am really pleased with them. Have had them for two years now and haven’t thought about mics since. I record only fingerstyle acoustic. I run them through a Warm Audio WA273, and really pleased with that as well.

I actually had these MC930’s and a pair of M300’s at the same time. I personally preferred the MC930’s and sold the M300’s. Nice option to end up preferring the less expensive choice. Mike

Last edited by MikeMcKee; 05-29-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

If you are interested here is a little thing I recorded with my M300's a week or so ago. Pardon the sloppy playing. No EQ or anything on the track, mics are setup in spaced pair, recorded in my bedroom studio with some acoustic treatment.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gyb20a0vd1...a-Dry.mp3?dl=0

Just in case you wanted a listening reference besides a youtube video.

I should say that the Soyuz 013 self noise thing was something I only heard from one person who I asked directly on Gearslutz. So take that with a big grain of salt. Looks like you can get a pair of them for just over a grand at Sweetwater right now. Might not be a bad way to try the mic if you are really curious about it, assuming you can return it if you don't like it.

I was considering the Telefunken M60 at one point before I bought the Gefells, here is a clip I found that sounds nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vatoztB5WQg

I bought the Gefells because a few years ago i had a chance to borrow a pair of KM 184's and Gefells from Sedelsorey here. I ended up preferring the Gefells, and bought a used pair a few years later when I had the money. I went through a handful of cheaper mics in that time, (Peluso CEMC 6, Miktek C5), and in hindsight I should have gone straight for what I really wanted.

The Beyers are available new for $1000 all day long, so if you can swing that you could aways try out a pair from a dealer. I always bought mics used to save some money, but then would end up selling them at a loss down the road. Perhaps not the best way to go unless you were previously able to try them out.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
I have a pair of the Gefell M300s and love them. All my recent Youtube videos were filmed with them, check those out if you want to hear some samples. Guitarist Michael Watts also uses them for his YT videos, and was part of the reason I decided to buy mine. Got them used for around $1300

Ive never tried the Beyers but i hear they are nice too.

Ive heard the Soyuz have a higher self noise, so maybe not ideal for solo guitar. Maybe get them from a place that allows returns if you go that route.

Lots of nice mics out there in this price range.
Thanks Anton. I've seen some of your videos and your guitars do sound fantastic with the M300s. The Soyuz self-noise has been mentioned in some of the other forums so I emailed Soyuz on this. I was told that they were aware that there was an issue with noise and made a design change that corrected this without changing the sound of the mic. Recent production mics should be quiet.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Glad to see Anton responded on this thread; check out his recordings with the M300. I sent you a PM with a few links to some 3-Zigma comparison recordings.
Thanks Chuck! I will check them out a little later today.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcKee View Post
I use a pair of MC930’s and am really pleased with them. Have had them for two years now and haven’t thought about mics since. I record only fingerstyle acoustic. I run them through a Warm Audio WA273, and really pleased with that as well.

I actually had these MC930’s and a pair of M300’s at the same time. I personally preferred the MC930’s and sold the M300’s. Nice option to end up preferring the less expensive choice. Mike
Hi Mike. I would be interested in hearing some clips if you have something posted that you could direct me to. I've been researching the Beyers for some time now and most people find them favorable for acoustic guitar.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgavin View Post
Hi Mike. I would be interested in hearing some clips if you have something posted that you could direct me to. I've been researching the Beyers for some time now and most people find them favorable for acoustic guitar.
Sure. Here’s a link to my YouTube channel. You can click on playlists and hear dozens of tunes. The newly uploaded tune, “Trying to Understand” is done with my Córdoba, so you can hear a nylon string sample as well. All the tunes were recorded on the Beyers. Mike

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClx...gNrCvryK4vnFlQ
Old 05-29-2020, 01:43 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
... I do like the sound of the M300’s but would only be able to purchase 1. I could certainly pair it with my multi-pattern LDC and probably get some really nice MS recordings.
I agree. I've been doing that quite a bit this week and I'm very happy. Anton loaned me his M300 pair two years ago when I made my last album, and I finally bought a pair myself recently and I really love them. I envision mostly using them as pair for guitar duo videos, but for solo guitar using a single m300 with a LDC has really been my thing of late.

Last edited by min7b5; 05-29-2020 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
If you are interested here is a little thing I recorded with my M300's a week or so ago. Pardon the sloppy playing. No EQ or anything on the track, mics are setup in spaced pair, recorded in my bedroom studio with some acoustic treatment.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gyb20a0vd1...a-Dry.mp3?dl=0
Thanks, very balanced, and the highs are so silky!
Old 05-29-2020, 04:21 PM

[QUOTE=min7b5;6396014]
Quote:
... I do like the sound of the M300’s but would only be able to purchase 1. I could certainly pair it with my multi-pattern LDC and probably get some really nice MS recordings..

I agree. I've been doing that quite a bit this week and I'm very happy. Anton loaned me his M300 pair two years ago when I made my last album, and I finally bought a pair myself recently and I really love them. I envision mostly using them as pair for guitar duo videos, but for solo guitar using a single m300 with a LDC has really been my thing of late.
Thanks for chiming in Eric. Glad to hear that great results can be had with mid side recording for fingerstyle guitar.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

Since we are talking mid side here is another recording using an AKG 414 XLS, I actually bought it off Eric, as a side mic. Gefell M300 as the mid mic.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uuzme4720d...-side.mp3?dl=0

I need to do more M/S recording. Once I got everything setup on two stands everything else was pretty easy. Being able to have that wide stereo image along with a center is pretty cool. I want to order a second mic arm that can clip onto my current one, or find some way to mount both mics on one attachment.

Anyways, just something else to listen to in your decision making.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

The Gefell M300 is a very nice mike and I used a pair of them on many of my recordings though for the last several
years I switched to using the Gefell M295 mikes for a little more detailed sound.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-30-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Since we are talking mid side here is another recording using an AKG 414 XLS, I actually bought it off Eric, as a side mic. Gefell M300 as the mid mic.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uuzme4720d...-side.mp3?dl=0

I need to do more M/S recording. Once I got everything setup on two stands everything else was pretty easy. Being able to have that wide stereo image along with a center is pretty cool. I want to order a second mic arm that can clip onto my current one, or find some way to mount both mics on one attachment.

Anyways, just something else to listen to in your decision making.
Thanks, that does sound really nice and is definitely helpful. Is there any EQ or compression on these tracks?
Old 05-30-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
The Gefell M300 is a very nice mike and I used a pair of them on many of my recordings though for the last several
years I switched to using the Gefell M295 mikes for a little more detailed sound.
Thanks Derek. Which mics were used to record your song "Token"?
Old 05-30-2020, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Derek. Which mics were used to record your song "Token"?
That was recorded about fifteen years ago with a stereo pair of M300s. At the time the recording room was untreated acoustically (absorbing panels, etc.).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-30-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcKee View Post
Sure. Here’s a link to my YouTube channel. You can click on playlists and hear dozens of tunes. The newly uploaded tune, “Trying to Understand” is done with my Córdoba, so you can hear a nylon string sample as well. All the tunes were recorded on the Beyers. Mike

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClx...gNrCvryK4vnFlQ
Thanks Mike, listening to timeless now...very nice!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD