The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-01-2020, 09:29 PM

Default Pickup is eating batteries

I’ve got a Gibson SJ With LR Baggs that had the original pickup battery for 2 years of regular playing.
It finally got weak enough that I was getting no volume.
Replaced it with an Energizer Lithium thinking I could go twice as long.
Energizer lithium started buzzing within a week.
Replaced with Duracell and it has lasted for about 5 hours of playing.
I do not leave the cable plugged in.
What gives ???
Old 06-01-2020, 09:52 PM

Well, something is draining those batteries somehow. Years ago I had a similar problem that my highly experienced guitar repairman couldn’t figure out. I finally decided to cut the Gordian knot by having that pickup and onboard preamp yanked out entirely and replaced it completely, lock, stock and barrel.

It’s like trying to chases down mysterious electrical problems in an older car - sometimes none of it makes sense or can be easily repaired.

Anyway, the most likely culprit in problems like these tends to be somewhere in the preamp, but that doesn’t mean it’ll be easy to find or repair. Sometimes the only viable option is to replace it.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-01-2020, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

I agree with Wade. The problem isn't the batteries. The problem is that somewhere in your pickup circuit, something is causing a drain on the battery.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-02-2020, 05:01 AM

Weird, but my first thought would be the output jack.... is it possible that is creating the same kind of contact that would be if a cable was plugged in?
Old 06-02-2020, 09:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

Not trying to be a smart@ss - really! - but if you replace it with a K&K you will have zero battery problems. ;~)
Old 06-02-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
Not trying to be a smart@ss - really! - but if you replace it with a K&K you will have zero battery problems. ;~)
I actually have a K&K NIB sitting on a shelf that I was gonna install in a CEO7. I’ve considered putting it in my Gibson, but I’ve been told that if you’re a strummer that has a tendency to slap the strings with your palm, it doesn’t yield good results.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:47 AM

I have good news for you!

Swap out that pup for a K&K. You'll get better tone and will have no batteries to deal with!

After a LOT of experimenting, I had K&K's put into all of my acoustics. Couldn't be happier!
Old 06-02-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Well, something is draining those batteries somehow. Years ago I had a similar problem that my highly experienced guitar repairman couldn’t figure out. I finally decided to cut the Gordian knot by having that pickup and onboard preamp yanked out entirely and replaced it completely, lock, stock and barrel.

It’s like trying to chases down mysterious electrical problems in an older car - sometimes none of it makes sense or can be easily repaired.

Anyway, the most likely culprit in problems like these tends to be somewhere in the preamp, but that doesn’t mean it’ll be easy to find or repair. Sometimes the only viable option is to replace it.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
That’s what I was thinking. I think I’ll pull it out and see if something looks visually incorrect I’ll fix it. If not, I’ll just replace it.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:18 PM

I had a preamp killing my batteries. Found the jack had a short. Didn't matter if a cable was inserted or not, the jack flowed the power.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:20 AM

I'm not familiar with the guitar or the pickup, but can you tell me if the battery is removed through the sound hole, or through a door in the side of the guitar? I'd imagine that is an earth problem, and is shorting out somewhere. When you removed the battery, some of the wiring could have been moved/broken.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 06-03-2020, 05:14 AM

Given that you first experienced the problem when you changed batteries, that would be my first place to check.

I had the same problem with a Baggs M80, replacement battery ran out of charge within a few gigs. Turned out it was a fake CR2032 Maxcell battery! There are loads of fake/sub standard batteries on the market these days, especially the brand leaders. Most of them will work but only for a short time. Best bet would be to buy replacements from a reputable source.....maistream supermarket, not budget market, poundshop and certainly not fleabay!!
Old 06-03-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63telemaster View Post
Given that you first experienced the problem when you changed batteries, that would be my first place to check.

I had the same problem with a Baggs M80, replacement battery ran out of charge within a few gigs. Turned out it was a fake CR2032 Maxcell battery! There are loads of fake/sub standard batteries on the market these days, especially the brand leaders. Most of them will work but only for a short time. Best bet would be to buy replacements from a reputable source.....maistream supermarket, not budget market, poundshop and certainly not fleabay!!
I got a bad batch of 9v batteries from Best Buy. A 12 pk of them and only 3 were any good.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:37 PM

I would like to thank everyone for the advice. I reluctantly removed the LR Baggs and replaced it with a K&K Mini.
I couldn’t be more pleased with the sound. I was always happy with the Baggs that was in my guitar, but the K&K is absolutely perfect.
It literally sounds like my guitar is mic’d.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
I have good news for you!

Swap out that pup for a K&K. You'll get better tone and will have no batteries to deal with!

After a LOT of experimenting, I had K&K's put into all of my acoustics. Couldn't be happier!
I did exactly that today. Couldn’t be more pleased.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:58 PM

Don’t:

- pull it out entirely.

Do:
- unscrew the endpin jack
- unscrew the cover of the endpin jack
- since it’s probably a Fishman switchjack or the like:
- check the switching connections to make sure they’re not shorting (sometimes they can short against the screw-on cover - I have wrapped the internal connections with tape to fix this in the past).
- make sure that the bare wire (usually ground) isn’t shorting against another terminal
- make sure the wire shield hasn’t worn through where it exits the jack shield
I’ve had wires wear or move in all of those ways (and more). All it takes is something shorting across the two connectors used for switching to drain a battery profoundly fast. It’s fixable usually, and worth your time.

(But then, I fix old barn door preamps for fun - just found a source for mics for the old Fishman Blender/Stereo Blender and fixed a pair of them).

Last edited by M Hayden; 06-03-2020 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Stupid sloppy formatting, now hopefully fixed :(

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification