The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-30-2020, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

There are US dealers who would ship overseas. I am in Australia and I got my custom Martin from a US Dealer who sold me at 40% off retail custom price.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 05-30-2020, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Are there CITES restrictions from one EU member state to another? Could one purchase a Braz guitar from Germany and have it shipped to Italy? I think Blazer and Henkes make a great Martin-style guitar. But a style 42 would be very expensive.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:27 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Are there CITES restrictions from one EU member state to another? Could one purchase a Braz guitar from Germany and have it shipped to Italy? I think Blazer and Henkes make a great Martin-style guitar. But a style 42 would be very expensive.
Pretty sure thats ok. Per Marklund ships all overr europe. He makes a great guitar but his list is like Wayne Henderson, bribes and visits are required to get an instrument.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Pretty sure thats ok. Per Marklund ships all overr europe. He makes a great guitar but his list is like Wayne Henderson, bribes and visits are required to get an instrument.
If I lived in Europe and wanted to scratch the Martin itch, I’d get a B&H OM-28. The 42 is fun, but it raises the price so profoundly. I’d rather get nice Braz. I’ve played one B&H OM, and it was a real stand-out.

http://om28.com/ProductDetail?product=P191106001
Old 05-30-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
There are US dealers who would ship overseas. I am in Australia and I got my custom Martin from a US Dealer who sold me at 40% off retail custom price.
i got in touch with some us dealers but they told me they could’t ship to europe. can you tell me which ones privately?
also i should pay a lot of taxes and duties i think
Old 05-31-2020, 02:41 PM

I'll second Bagnasco & Cassati. A cavaet: Andrea and Alessio are good friends of mine. I've visited their homes and they have visited mine. Plus, somewhere on their website, they quote me, accurately, as saying they make some of the "finest vintage guitar recreations I've ever encountered." (Or something like that.)

As fine a vintage Martin or vintage Gibson style guitar as is made.

Last edited by jt1; 05-31-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
If I lived in Europe and wanted to scratch the Martin itch, I’d get a B&H OM-28. The 42 is fun, but it raises the price so profoundly. I’d rather get nice Braz. I’ve played one B&H OM, and it was a real stand-out.
This is my exact sentiment. I think there are a small number of builders in Europe who will fit what you're looking for. As an owner of B&H OM28, I second this comment. My B&H is a insanely AMAZING and nails the vintage tone. Regardless of whether you go 28 style or 42 style it's going to sound amazing.

I haven't had a chance to play a B&C or a Per Marklund, but would love the opportunity to do so one day. I've only heard good things...

Good luck!
Old 06-01-2020, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
This is my exact sentiment. I think there are a small number of builders in Europe who will fit what you're looking for. As an owner of B&H OM28, I second this comment. My B&H is a insanely AMAZING and nails the vintage tone. Regardless of whether you go 28 style or 42 style it's going to sound amazing.

I haven't had a chance to play a B&C or a Per Marklund, but would love the opportunity to do so one day. I've only heard good things...

Good luck!
i don’t know b&h and other luthiers, i would prefer martin
Old 06-01-2020, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by identity71 View Post
I think that if you want a Martin, you should get a Martin!

Good luck with your search. Please keep us posted.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:45 AM

If ordering from Martin, remember that grading is mostly cosmetic. If you've had a chance to play some vintage Martins, many of the old D-28's sound a lot better than D-41's and D-45's even. Some of the old D-28's have Adi tops that some people would call ugly, but sound exceptional.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with knowing what you like. If you prefer Martin, go for Martin! I was just throwing out my two cents. More importantly, good luck! The fun part is the anticipation...
Old 06-03-2020, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
There's nothing wrong with knowing what you like. If you prefer Martin, go for Martin! I was just throwing out my two cents. More importantly, good luck! The fun part is the anticipation...
I've had KILLER luck with Bob Thompson. I was able to order an OM-41 "knockoff" with Brazilian back/sides for about $8k at the time. Sometimes I'd be interested to see what Martin would have charged for a build like that. I'd imagine at least $12k.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:08 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
I think that if you want a Martin, you should get a Martin!

Good luck with your search. Please keep us posted.
Absolutely, not trying to sway you from Martin. Get what you want, I myself absolutely love Martin, have one old one and three new ones. I was mainly throwing out options.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:19 AM

Top wood would be determined how you play and if you use a pick. If youre playing fingers I would say Sitka or even better European. If plectrum then Adi is the obvious choice. I am thinking you cant get shell shipped from the US to anywhere. I personally dont like bling and think the purlfling that is done by people like Trevor Kronbauer is more attractive, even if you have it built in Europe. Someone above mentioned rope or something Euro inspired. I heartily agree with Coco though, more sound with less bass. That of course will change the classic Martin sound even if built by Martin. Ive had two beautiful Coco guitars and they way outstripped EIR and certainly mahogany.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
A number of these posters have suggested OMs from great builders who, based on the cost of getting a Martin in Italy, are likely to provide better bang for the buck and provide you with a higher performing guitar. I've read this as helpful feedback rather than off topic responses -- OP asked for feedback on OP's proposed order and suggesting OP look at other options is perfectly legitimate.

I too love Martins and have a number of pre-war examples that are among my very favorite instruments, but I've had no interest in new Martins for decades because I think, as others have suggested, that the best modern OMs are not built by Martin (I'm partial to Julius Borges, but there are a number who are swimming in that same pond).

You seem tied to the name on the headstock and the pearl trim (neither of which contribute to tone) and that's okay -- the best guitar for one person may not be the best for another -- and perhaps the best guitar for you is a new pearl trimmed Martin.

But, in your position, if I had that kind of money to spend on a guitar and I came to a forum seeking guidance, I wouldn't dismiss out of hand the suggestion of many to check out a few alternatives. I think the best Martins were made a long time ago and I think the best "Martins" being made now are not being made in Nazareth -- so, I would not order that guitar.

Narrowly though, I doubt that model you have spec'd is available in the wild (a lot of uncommon features), I'd go for Adirondack over sitka in a rosewood OM every day of the week, and it's hard to say whether that's a "real price" for an Italian consumer, but if you were in the US, you could expect some discount from a dealer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop