The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-20-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Definitely not always the case but if I am playing a bar where my band is making $300-400 for the night, chances are the sound tech is not the best there is out there. I too have run into this issue. Honestly my first thought to a hot signal as a sound man would be to check the input gain on the channel as well as ask about the mic/line level setting on the pedal. It's definitely odd how many sound techs don't do this and just ask for the di/preamp to be turned down.
Couple comments... kudos on your price. We've occassionally gotten that sort of money, and when we do the sound tech knows to plug my preamp into a line-in or to lower the mic preamp gain to far less. No problem. We typically run into issues at bars where the five of us get around $150 total for three hours work.

For other commenters, thank you. I know that I can lower my volume to about 20 percent in order to make it mic-pre compatible. It's just that doing so makes my volume knob super touchy in a stage environment. Turn it a 20th of a revolution and it's too much.

The Tonedexter currently employs a switch that either connects the XLR out to the volume knob, or disconnects it and sets the output to a somewhat arbitrary fixed line-level value. It would probably raise the cost of the box by $50 or so, but I'd love it if that switch simply chose line level or mic level out and left the volume knob connection attached to both as the Grace preamps apparently do (I have no direct experience).

Anyway. Just my wish. I love the Tonedexter and think of it as both ground breaking and a leader still.

Peace.

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 05-20-2020 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:22 AM

I love the Tone Dexter too, and it's great that the designer pops in here regularly to answer questions too.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 06-02-2020, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

James May is easily reachable, and if you have a specific modification that would make the Tonedexter better for you, I’d detail it out and send it to him. I would bet that he could tell you how to modify it to achieve it, or if there were a real problem with doing it the way you’re thinking. I think of him as being in the same category as some of our finest master luthiers, but he works in electronic signal -
Old 06-02-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Edited to add: Oh, maybe you are referring to a pad on a mixer output. Nope, never seen that.
The A&H ZED10FX has a -30dB pad (to DI level) on the mains...makes it useful as a sub-mixer.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification