The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-26-2020, 04:28 PM

Default Improved my Sonotone

A lot;

When I got my Road Series, I didn't have an amp and there was so much disdain, not just dislike for the Fishman Sonotone, that I just pulled the whole thing out.

Then I got an Loudbox Mini and put a JJB pickup in the guitar and everything was good. I also had a MartinX with a Sonotone. I had taken the UST out and taped it inside the guitar. I put it in and it was pretty harsh so, rather than mess with the saddle height again, I taped it inside again. I planned to get another JJB

Then someone here posted about adding a generic Aura UST to another pickup. I ordered one from Ebay to try replacing the Sonotone UST. I had nothing to lose, it was coming out anyway.

I slipped the new pickup in place, cut the wires on the Sonotone and soldered the new pickup wires to them and it works like a dream.

I played both guitars today; back to back to back. And to me after about an hour, it sounds a little different but just as good.

Success! I just wanted to try it and it works just fine!
Old 05-28-2020, 04:09 AM

Yup, I played it again yesterday for about 2 1/2 hours. I got the settings just right. The tone control on the guitar doesn't really do much. I just left it in the middle. But I got the guitar volume, amp gain and volume set and it sounds full and deep and like a loud acoustic.

This is a really easy fix for a Sonotone pickup and probably any guitar with that same soft braided UST.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification