The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 03-28-2021, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Default Recommendation for Bookshelf Speakers for Vintage Amp

Hi folks,

Due to some home remodeling I'm looking to "downsize" my speakers from vintage (1970's) Pioneer CS-901's to much smaller (and modern) bookshelf speakers. Would appreciate any recommendations for use with my Pioneer SA-7700 amp and Pioneer PL-51 turntable. What speakers can handle what the SA-7700 cranks? Looking for speakers that won't break the bank as they'll only get occasional use.

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2021, 04:39 AM

The bookshelves Klipsch has in their home theater line are nice. We have a pair in our upstairs tv system. My audiophile buds look down their noses at them but I find them musically quite satisfying.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
Hi folks,

Due to some home remodeling I'm looking to "downsize" my speakers from vintage (1970's) Pioneer CS-901's to much smaller (and modern) bookshelf speakers. Would appreciate any recommendations for use with my Pioneer SA-7700 amp and Pioneer PL-51 turntable. What speakers can handle what the SA-7700 cranks? Looking for speakers that won't break the bank as they'll only get occasional use.

Thanks!
I assume you're in the US. If you can get Q Acoustics speakers over there, I'd recommend taking a look.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Elac's inexpensive bookshelf speakers are considered budget audiophile quality. They are easy to find and don't cost a lot.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

I've had a pair of B&W K5's for the past 15 years or so, and they are very good... no, they won't handle "everything" that a high-powered amp will put out, but they produce a good volume level, especially for a smaller room. I think you can find them used for around $300-$400 the pair.

Realize that when you drop down to a smaller woofer, you won't have the same bass response, which is true of these Bowers and Wilkins. However they'll still reproduce a string bass down to around 60 hz...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-29-2021, 06:12 PM

AxIom or PSB
Old 03-30-2021, 07:01 AM
Musical minimalist

Same answer I give every time regarding audio equipment.

Your local Craigslist will have a large selection of reasonable quality gear available and pretty amazing deals if you know what to look for.

If you want to PM me your location, I'd be happy to look around at your list and see if there's anything I'd recommend.

I looked through some of your posts and found you are in Buffalo - here are a few I found:

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/ele/d...277612155.html

These are a GREAT deal if the foam surrounds are intact! The large pair look like RS4000's - great sounding 3 way bookshelf.

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/ele/d...298546158.html

Last edited by fitness1; 03-30-2021 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

THANKS EVERYONE!
Old 04-13-2021, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Don't know if you're still looking, but the Wharfedale Diamond 225 are great for the money, I have them and am really happy with them. They're also discontinued, so there are some good bargains out there. Music Direct has them for $300.

Read Stereophile gush about them here: https://www.stereophile.com/content/...25-loudspeaker

Bottom line quote "Forget the Diamond's modest price. This humble wooden box is actually a connoisseur-level audio component. It could satisfy any sane music collector for decades."

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 04-14-2021, 03:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
Hi folks,

Thanks!
Does your Pioneer SA-7700 have a pre-amp output? If so you could easily use any powered studio monitors.

HE
Old 04-16-2021, 07:38 AM

Whew, there are a lot of choices. A price range would help.

I recently returned a set of Wharfdale Evo 4.2, that were intended to replace some B&W 602s. I don't know who's measuring speakers today, but a woofer that measures 4 1/2" across the surrounds isn't a 6" woofer.

I've been kicking around the idea of a set of Triangle Borea 03 to go with an older Yamaha receiver in my shop office.

One note - capacitors go bad over time, and the circuit doesn't regulate voltage ripples well. I sent off a much loved 30+ year old Carver amp for refurbishment because it has developed a tendency to fry tweeters.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN