The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-07-2021, 06:15 AM

Default Mag Mic over Anthem? Anthem over Mag Mic?

There is, or was, a Seymour Duncan Mag Mic in my 000-28. The pick up is now "dead" and needs replacing (short circuit in there, somewhere!!!) . I rather like the Mag Mic but I'm also intrigued by the (full) Anthem with which I have no experience.

For those who do have experience with both, can you outline your pros/cons on these two options before I go and buy a replacement? Thanks
Old 05-07-2021, 06:24 AM

I had a magmic in my Eastman E1OM and it got the job done. Sounded pretty good. Was nice to be able to dial in the mic. Battery life is really good. And the "install" is not very invasive.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:48 PM

My experience with the mag mic is that you’ll unlikely be able to turn the mic up full in live situations.
Whereas for the anthem , leaving it in the mic full position is usually not a problem.
Tone is basically subjective and depends on what you like and what you play. I think the anthem is way more popular though.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

These are two totally different pickups, totally different sounds. Magnetic (slightly electric sounding) vs UST (slightly quacky sounding). The mic in each is also quite different. The Anthem's TruMic acts a bit more like an SBT than a typical internal mic, and they use a cross-over so that the mic handles the highs, the UST the lows. The MagMic has a "real" mic, tho a rather shrill one, and it simply adds to the Magnetic part, the mag always handles all frequencies. You have a bit more control over the blend between the sources with the Anthem. Both are excellent pickups, but sound completely different, so its a matter of taste.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification