The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-31-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Sorry to hijack your thread. It's been almost two months anyway; what did you decide to go with?
I decided on a tortoise binding with a nice herringbone-ish (arrows of some variety) purfling. I'll be pulling the center ring from the rosette to install the purfling into the rosette as well. Will post pics soon

Brad
Old 03-31-2014, 03:55 PM

So, if there's any knowledge I can pass along, it is this: when you decide on something, just go with it.

I recently decided i did not like the rosette in this guitar. So, naturally I tried to soak it with acetone and remove it...which didn't work at all. So, I retopped the guitar with Adirondack spruce. I also found a nice looking board of Honduras Rosewood at the local sawmill that I've decided to use for the bridge, fingerboard and headplate. After deciding to retop, I also decided to use the tortoise binding material in the rosette, which left me one piece shy of getting the body bound up. I should have the other piece of binding this week and it'll be in the booth next week sometime. Here is a couple photos of how it's turning out.

Brad

Old 03-31-2014, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Great decision - it looks very classy!

Best,
Jayne
Old 04-01-2014, 06:47 AM

Thank you Jayne! I'm pretty pumped about these new OM's. I've built not very many without bursts, and I'm having a difficult time deciding whether or not this one will get a burst. I just love em! I'd try to go more 000-18 type tobacco burst on this one I think, rather than following the lines of the lower bout like usual. Hmm, any thoughts? Burst/no burst??

Brad

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop