The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2018, 08:07 AM

Default The lowly 000-MMV

I posted a while back about picking up a "scratch and dent" Martin 000-MMV. I rescued it from a very busy GC a couple of weeks ago. Poor thing was in terrible condition. Scratches all over the back, dings galore, noticeable fret ware, a small crack on the top, rusty strings and a broken case.

My initial thought was I would stick a pickup in there and cleat the crack and have a Martin that would be suitable for gigging. I got it for a song, well below their cost, so it seemed like a good idea.

First thing, I glued and clamped the case, let it dry, then reattached the torn tolex. Case is like brand new now! Can't even tell it happened. Next, a truss rod adj - no need to file slots or saddle, plays great now! Cleaned the gunk off the fretboard then a little oil. Then I was able to buff out all but a few deeper scratches. Today, I'm going to the shop to cleat the crack. My luthier says he has a trick using super glue where you won't be able to see it when we are done. I'm bringing this little guy back to life!

Now - here is the cool part. I haven't put this thing down since I got it. It sounds fantastic! Plays like butter and fits like a glove (and whatever other cliches you care to insert). It's just a killer guitar! I love playing this thing. Yea, yea, I know the woods are not from the custom shop, and the neck joint is "inferior", it doesn't have fancy inlays or neck binding, just lowly dots and no snowflakes, gold die cast tuners (these gotta go. Suggestions for butterbeans?), but I have really bonded with this guitar. It's just a great instrument, and I'm very happy with it.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Oh man, no shame at all in that little wonder of a guitar. It sounds like you got a guitar that already punches above its weight, well below its value. Nice!
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 08-21-2018, 08:13 AM

I have an MMV Dread along with a 2013 D18, 1990 D16M, 2017 J45 and others. The MMV in its own manner is the equal to any of them. Regardless of price they are fantastic guitars. At the used prices I see they are a steal IMO.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 08-21-2018, 08:16 AM

Sounds great! I sold mine and wish I never did. They are really good guitars!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 08-21-2018, 08:19 AM

Your MMV is just a private label 16 Series equivalent. Not a thing wrong with that. You are pleased with it. That is all that matters. Enjoy!

Oh, and why screw around with putting butter bean tuners on it. I believe it came with Martin branded Ping tuners, the mounting screw at the 6 o'clock position? If you pursuit butter bean tuners it will require some invasive modifications only to have just OK tuners.(Even the best ones.) Better you invest in some Gotoh 510s. Superior, IMHO and an easy drop in replacement.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:20 AM

Here she is, after cleanup but before buffing:

before buffing out scratches:

Crack on top:

Scratches on back

Old 08-21-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
Your MMV is just a private label 16 Series equivalent. Not a thing wrong with that. You are pleased with it. That is all that matters. Enjoy!

Oh, and why screw around with putting butter bean tuners on it. I believe it came with Martin branded Ping tuners, the mounting screw at the 6 o'clock position? If you pursuit butter bean tuners it will require some invasive modifications only to have just OK tuners.(Even the best ones.) Better you invest in some Gotoh 510s. Superior, IMHO and an easy drop in replacement.
Which model 510's? I believe they make a butterbean, open back looking tuner. Gotoh SXB510V is what I found. Is this what you were talking about?
Old 08-21-2018, 08:32 AM

No, the enclosed 510s. They come in different flavors. Excellent, very precise tuners. Open geared tuners, even Waverlys just are not are smooth or precise.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:39 AM

Default mmv

great to hear, MMV's are great guitars. And I would love the Luthiers information and an "after pic" of the crack!
Old 08-21-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesound View Post
great to hear, MMV's are great guitars. And I would love the Luthiers information and an "after pic" of the crack!
No problem. Headed there today, will let you know.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:56 AM

I'm assuming the first pic was before you cleaned the fretboard.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 08-21-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
I'm assuming the first pic was before you cleaned the fretboard.
Yea, sorry, forgot to mention that.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:18 AM

I don't know why you're being defensive about a "lowly" 000-MMV, they are fine guitars, you don't need to justify it.

I have friends with high end Martin collections and several have 15/16 series, pretty comparable to GC's MMVs, and they get played/appreciated regularly.

IMO folks who put down high enders with "bling" (hate that word) are dead wrong, and folks who snub the entry level models are just as wrong.

Martins are Martins, I've owned enough to know mostly the models are "different" not necessarily "better", enjoy your 000-MMV........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-21-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
I don't know why you're being defensive about a "lowly" 000-MMV, they are fine guitars, you don't need to justify it.

I have friends with high end Martin collections and several have 15/16 series, pretty comparable to GC's MMVs, and they get played/appreciated regularly.

IMO folks who put down high enders with "bling" (hate that word) are dead wrong, and folks who snub the entry level models are just as wrong.

Martins are Martins, I've owned enough to know mostly the models are "different" not necessarily "better", enjoy your 000-MMV........
I agree Rich. I was being a little "tongue in cheek". Maybe that didn't come across. It was also, to some degree, maybe aimed that the guys who always chime in when these guitars get brought up to point out that the neck joint is inferior? Either way, my point was that, despite it's place on the Martin totem pole, I have found it to be a great guitar that I play daily.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

These are really enjoyable guitars. I have liked everyone I have played. So, congrats to you!

May I ask? How did you buff out the guitar? What did you use?

Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion