The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2018, 05:00 AM
Charter Member

Default Opinions on Guild Guitars?

What's the story on Guild guitars. To catch up on which ones might be good used guitars to purchase one would have to be a Guild guitar geek.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-21-2018, 05:40 AM

No it's actually quite simple.
Guild guitars are excellent.

If asked to choose I'd say I favour their jumbo guitars in both 6 and 12-string.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-21-2018, 05:52 AM

As with ALL guitars, it comes down to the individual guitar you are considering. In general, I think Guilds are good guitars. Play them. If you find the one that sounds right to YOU, and it is satisfactory to you otherwise, buy it.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Fabulous guitars. I favor those built in Westerly, RI from the late '70s through the '80s.

I'd advise you to find a D-46 like mine, but good luck with that! You just don't see them. The D-50 is the workhorse of the dreads, and they are just simply outstanding guitars.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:39 AM

The owner of my local independent guitar shop, and one hell of a player for decades, told me he thinks that back in the 70s, Guilds were better guitars in general than either Martin or Gibson. I own an older Westerly made Guild 12 string. They had double truss rods in the necks. Many people think no mass produced 12 string surpasses a Guild. Some may prefer the sound of another brand but they are a high quality instruments. Bottom line...they are great sounding quality built guitars, whether six or 12 sstring.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
No it's actually quite simple.
Guild guitars are excellent.

If asked to choose I'd say I favour their jumbo guitars in both 6 and 12-string.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Fabulous guitars. I favor those built in Westerly, RI from the late '70s through the '80s.
I agree! I only know about Guild jumbos, but they are absolutely tremendous. I recently got a custom shop Gibson J-45, and it just didn't stand up to the Guild F-50R shown below. Had to let the Gibby go. Of course, comparing a dread to a jumbo isn't exactly fair, but still....

Unless they're brand new coming out of Oxnard (which are a bit pricey), they are typically great deals, too. I favor those built in New Hartford, mainly because they're not so old and less likely to need some work done. But like Ken says, lots of folks swear by those early Westerly builds. But really, those coming out of Corona or Tacoma are typically just as excellent.

Try 'em, you'll like 'em!

F-50R

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 08-21-2018, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Default me...

I had a guitar teacher about 15 years ago that had a sunburst D-55...I've wanted one ever since...especially one of those that Ren Ferguson had a hand in....
Old 08-21-2018, 07:43 AM

I thought I was in the market for a Gibson (probably J-45) about five years ago. I was even planning on a new guitar. A friend who worked at a guitar shop at the time convinced me to check out a 1974 Guild D-25M. My shopping was over and I had an amazing guitar at a third the cost of the new Gibson. The common consensus is that, unlike most makers, Guild never really suffered a slump period. If they are good enough for John Denver and Tom Petty they are good enough for me! Play some, I think you’ll find you might like them. Also, most Guild aficionado think then current US made line up is at the top of their game.
'07 Seagull Artist Studio Burst 12
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 08-21-2018, 08:10 AM

In the Taylor v. Martin argument that is similar to Mercedes v. BMW argument.

Guild is like an Audi.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

I've always been fond of M20s and F20s.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaptonWannabe2 View Post
In the Taylor v. Martin argument that is similar to Mercedes v. BMW argument.

Guild is like an Audi.
No way! I once owned an Audi. It was absolutely the worst vehicle I ever owned. Like all German cars it was high maintenance. It also was less dependable than anything I ever owned by a long shot.

While Guilds have been know to need a neck reset as any brand might, they aren't as easy to do as some others. My Guild stays in tune better than my Audi did. It always sounds great, unlike that fine example of superior German engineering.

My Audi finally was hit while sitting in my driveway. The insurance adjuster totaled the car and offered to sell it back to me at a greatly discounted price. I told her, "Get your car out of my driveway!" I would never tell anyone to get my Guild out of here. Unlike that Audi it's a keeper!
Old 08-21-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaurman View Post
No way! I once owned an Audi. It was absolutely the worst vehicle I ever owned. Like all German cars it was high maintenance. It also was less dependable than anything I ever owned by a long shot.

While Guilds have been know to need a neck reset as any brand might, they aren't as easy to do as some others. My Guild stays in tune better than my Audi did. It always sounds great, unlike that fine example of superior German engineering.

My Audi finally was hit while sitting in my driveway. The insurance adjuster totaled the car and offered to sell it back to me at a greatly discounted price. I told her, "Get your car out of my driveway!" I would never tell anyone to get my Guild out of here. Unlike that Audi it's a keeper!

You sure that wasn't a Volkswagen?

To clarify. I LOVE guilds. I think Audis are purty. I've never tried to maintain either.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:11 AM

The F50R was my first acoustic. Big sound. Massive. Then I got a Tacoma D55 but felt out of love with Ds in general. I love Guild guitars.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:17 AM

Simply put, '70's and early '80's Guilds are the best bang for the buck out there.

Take your pick, from the smallest (F-20 or M-20) to the largest (F-50 or F-50R). All are exceptional bargains.

A D-25 for $600-$700 will knock your socks off!

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 08-21-2018, 09:24 AM

I still have my very worn 1976 D-35 SB, refretted by the late Eddie Diehl. In the 70's I took some lessons with Barry Kornfeld in New York. He was playing a Tommy Smothers Model and was, I think, featured in the Guild catalog.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion