The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-20-2018, 04:20 PM

Default Coverage with Yamaha DXR 10 speakers

I hope someone that has experience with Yamaha DXR 10 speaker can advise on this: I already have one DXR 10 that we've (acoustic duo) used for playing indoor small venues and its fine for that. However, we are getting opportunities to play other places, including some outdoor places. Again...nothing big. Just local with maybe anywhere from 50-100 or so. At one venue with a nice pavilion the audience (sitting on lawn chairs and at tables) would go back about 60 feet or thereabouts. So my question is if I have my two DXR 10s set up (running with Soundcraft EFX8 mixer) what would be reasonable expectations for coverage area. I realize of course that getting a set of bigger speakers would provide more coverage and probably a "bigger" sound, but then more weight to lug around. I know there are a lot of good options out there for speakers, but I'm thinking that getting that second DXR would be the best option financially. And of course, I really like these speakers.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:02 PM

Hi Firelakekid
I have a Yamaha Dxr 8 speaker. I found the coverage very good. The fact that you have a 10 inch driver is even better.
The DXR series have plenty of power over 1000 watts.

Very well made speakers.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:16 PM

I use a single DXR10 to cover a social hall (approx. 150 ppl) about 35 feet wide and 80 feet deep with 8 ft ceilings. I put the speaker on a stand on a stage so it's about 6.5 ft off the ground.

I don't have a pair of DXR10s, but I do have a pair of MSR400s (Yamaha biamped 12s with a much lower SPL rating than the DXR10) which I've used to fill auditoriums and churches that seat 400+

I believe a second DXR10 would more than fill your needs. If there is any concern, perhaps consider adding a sub.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:20 PM

Close to perfect. I do gigs like that often, I use K10's and sometimes K8's. Very similar to the Yammies, yours are just a little more HiFi, not a criticism.

Outdoor park/courtyard areas of around the 30 x 30 metre is handled well with a little fall off toward the 'edges' .. often desirable. So I would say go the second DXR it will do you well.

Oh... on stands of course, head height or a little above and spaced/angled as appropriate.

Kris
Old 08-20-2018, 07:20 PM

I have this exact system (DXR10 and EFX8). For an acoustic 5 piece with an electric bass in a 200 seat church or a backyard outdoor show, it sounds fantastic.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:08 AM

I want to thank everyone for the responses. I figured a second speaker would be good. The DXR 10 with the Soundcraft EFX8 is a very simple rig to set up and sounds good. We played out about two weeks ago at an outdoor gig. A friend joined us and we used his Carvin system with powered mixer and 15 in speakers. That sounded great too. But with the addition of a new speaker we'd have a rig that would cover most anything we might do for relatively low cost. Thanks again for the input.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification