The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-03-2018, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
Thanks for taking your time to do this. Nicely done.

Steve
Thank you Steve ...this was spontaneous, but just thought I'd share my experience on the M80 after some inquiries and posts on mag pickups.
Thanks again!

eric
Old 08-03-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
What is your main choice for live pick up right now? Is it not K&K (or similar) to Tone Dexter?

I am not playing anywhere at the moment, had to get a day job or I couldn’t afford to buy strings, let alone buy pickups and Tonedexters.

But I bought the Baggs M80 to throw in a guitar to take to the local blues jam where you don’t get much time or power points for Auras or Tonedexters or EQ boxes! If I can overlook the mids sticking out a bit......... No, better to take my Maton SRS808 - the pickup system with sweepable mids and mic are great and.....easy! If I wanted to play a guitar with a ddifferent neck or sound and surprise the blues jammers with my old LG3, the M80 would be in it and I would be hoping it doesn’t backfire! Eric’s sound above gives me confidence in the M80.....it isn’t a fully ‘acoustic in the room’ sound like using Tonedexter but I am really liking the M80 tone. Suppose I need to buy an Align.....

BluesKing777.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
I am not playing anywhere at the moment, had to get a day job or I couldn’t afford to buy strings, let alone buy pickups and Tonedexters.

But I bought the Baggs M80 to throw in a guitar to take to the local blues jam where you don’t get much time or power points for Auras or Tonedexters or EQ boxes! If I can overlook the mids sticking out a bit......... No, better to take my Maton SRS808 - the pickup system with sweepable mids and mic are great and.....easy! If I wanted to play a guitar with a ddifferent neck or sound and surprise the blues jammers with my old LG3, the M80 would be in it and I would be hoping it doesn’t backfire! Eric’s sound above gives me confidence in the M80.....it isn’t a fully ‘acoustic in the room’ sound like using Tonedexter but I am really liking the M80 tone. Suppose I need to buy an Align.....

BluesKing777.
Yo BK,

The M80 has it's own jazzy tone thing goin' on that is very enjoyable and yes the Align would optimize it as demonstrated...Baggs makes such great stuff and so feature friendly imo! I'd rather play fingerstyle on the M80 more than anything other system even tho it's third on my preference of my three systems when gigging; the notes are rounder and punchier imo.

eric
Old 08-04-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Yo BK,

The M80 has it's own jazzy tone thing goin' on that is very enjoyable and yes the Align would optimize it as demonstrated...Baggs makes such great stuff and so feature friendly imo! I'd rather play fingerstyle on the M80 more than anything other system even tho it's third on my preference of my three systems when gigging; the notes are rounder and punchier imo.

eric

Thanks Eric!

I didn’t want to give up on my D18 with the M80, so I slotted it in and played around while going through a Beatles Complete Scores book....the pickup was fantastic for a bit of strumming and a mix of fingerpicking through many of the famous tunes. I had the Pro EQ in line and I wasn’t ‘testing’ the pickup, just playing the pages. It is hard work getting a specific clean country blues sound though, so I will work on that!

P.S. Edit: I have been fiddling around with the Baggs M80 through my Boss VE8 - if I hold down 2 buttons, the whole thing becomes an EQ device for each guitar or vocal section. Advantage is I can save different settings, disadvantage is I can only call it the number of a vacant slot and probably need to write it down somewhere! (I have no idea whatsoever what all the other settings I saved when I first got the Boss.) I do prefer seeing a real linear EQ like stereos use to have!

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 08-04-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:30 PM

I enjoyed your demo review so much I got one for my HD-28. Used it tonight and really enjoyed it. I just needed two EQ cuts to make it a nice chimey sound. Strumming seems better than fingerstyle. The biggest issue is when I slap the strings I get a metallic click instead of a warm slap. Is there a way to fix that?
Old 08-04-2018, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Thanks Eric!

I didn’t want to give up on my D18 with the M80, so I slotted it in and played around while going through a Beatles Complete Scores book....the pickup was fantastic for a bit of strumming and a mix of fingerpicking through many of the famous tunes. I had the Pro EQ in line and I wasn’t ‘testing’ the pickup, just playing the pages. It is hard work getting a specific clean country blues sound though, so I will work on that!

P.S. Edit: I have been fiddling around with the Baggs M80 through my Boss VE8 - if I hold down 2 buttons, the whole thing becomes an EQ device for each guitar or vocal section. Advantage is I can save different settings, disadvantage is I can only call it the number of a vacant slot and probably need to write it down somewhere! (I have no idea whatsoever what all the other settings I saved when I first got the Boss.) I do prefer seeing a real linear EQ like stereos use to have!

BluesKing777.
I know what you mean about the linear eq, I'm so old school LOL! I just had to close my eyes and dial in string by string and dial by dial...you need a journal for all this stuff!

eric
Old 08-04-2018, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I enjoyed your demo review so much I got one for my HD-28. Used it tonight and really enjoyed it. I just needed two EQ cuts to make it a nice chimey sound. Strumming seems better than fingerstyle. The biggest issue is when I slap the strings I get a metallic click instead of a warm slap. Is there a way to fix that?
Thank you much Aaron, that short clip sounded good! I enjoyed the FB chat too ...I look forward to hearing you jam with the M80

eric
Old 08-06-2018, 06:24 PM

@ 20:20 "I think this pickup really shines on fingerstyle..."

Yes indeed it does! I always play with bare fingers/thumb and need the nuance and articulation that this pickup provides.
Can also get very LOUD. I'm glad my neighbors are elderly and a little deaf.
Eric you're a joy! Thanks for the recommendation, instruction, and demos.
The m80 makes my 01 oh one sweet jazzbox...

Last edited by Song; 07-08-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post

Yes indeed it does! I always play with bare fingers/thumb and need the nuance and articulation that this pickup provides.
Thank you buddy! ...I totally agree as I play flesh-fingerstyle too and the M80 delivers that sensitivity and immediacy more so than my other excellent pickups. In fact when I play amplified at home, it's usually fingerstyle, so then the D-18/M80 becomes my first choice over the F1AP and Cooltube.

Your M80 looks sweet in your 01 and seems like you have it placed just right...I know some folks don't like the look of soundhole pickups but I think Baggs did a nice job over most others in the looks department; I like it!
Old 08-07-2018, 09:35 AM

I enjoyed trying it and had some really great sounds but it seems to require too much external eq for me and even then it can feedback. I’m going back to UST and SBT!
Old 08-07-2018, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I enjoyed trying it and had some really great sounds but it seems to require too much external eq for me and even then it can feedback. I’m going back to UST and SBT!
* Totally understand Aaron...like I said it's not for everybody and their particular application. You have an HD-28 which is highly resonant especially in the lower register combined with a large cavity, so at average solo gig volumes it will require a HPF, a notch filter, phase switch and good eq to dial the M80 in.

** Again, treat it like a dual mic source. Obviously with me having a D-18 mahogany dread I have to deal with some of that too, but not nearly as much due to the mahogany...and I use it for certain venues where I know I'm gonna play more finger style at lower volumes.

*** Rosewood dreads overall whether in studio or on stage seem to require a bit more external tweaking with any source including USTs, but especially when a mic like source is involved. It's the reverby, resonant and natural characteristics of rosewood and physics...you already get a good sound from the videos I've watched, but hey as an alternative for some other things you may do, it's nice that you have an option that you've experimented with.

Thanks for the follow up and input mate!

eric
Old 08-07-2018, 10:11 PM

Eric I take it back. I have been testing the new boss wireless system. The battery had died tonight to I played using a cable and then when I went back to the wireless I noticed the treble had diminished. ‘Cable tone’ was off. I had really good results with just a LPF when using a cable.

The Boss wireless sucks (tone) with this pickup. Literally.

I like the pickup a lot. Not a fan of the metallic sound when playing solos although it has a cool electric guitar vibe to it and it also picks up body tapping, although it does it so well that it can feedback which isn't great. I do think the Play Acoustic eq is not the best and would like to try the Align with it. I feel this pickup is excellent for someone that wants a removable pickup to use once a month or so, maybe with a way to clip the cable inside the guitar while the pickup is removed.

Last edited by AeroUSA; 08-08-2018 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:13 AM

I just recorded the wireless and cable into Logic and they sound the same. I am not sure what happened last night, it's very strange.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Eric I take it back. I have been testing the new boss wireless system. The battery had died tonight to I played using a cable and then when I went back to the wireless I noticed the treble had diminished. ‘Cable tone’ was off. I had really good results with just a LPF when using a cable.

The Boss wireless sucks (tone) with this pickup. Literally.

I like the pickup a lot. Not a fan of the metallic sound when playing solos although it has a cool electric guitar vibe to it and it also picks up body tapping, although it does it so well that it can feedback which isn't great. I do think the Play Acoustic eq is not the best and would like to try the Align with it. I feel this pickup is excellent for someone that wants a removable pickup to use once a month or so, maybe with a way to clip the cable inside the guitar while the pickup is removed.
Quote:
I just recorded the wireless and cable into Logic and they sound the same. I am not sure what happened last night, it's very strange.
* Ok Aaron you get one do-over ...that jus' cracked me up when I read you take it back.

** The M80 can have a jazzy, archtop quality to the sound when soloing. Now as far as the body tapping aspect, you can tame it down with some felt pads on the mounts.

Thanks Aaron for the followup!
Old 08-08-2018, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post

I have an M80. And a couple of M1As. They're not in use at the moment. (Tonedexter changed that). But the Baggs are pretty good.

But the thing I don't like is that bright hunk of ivory plastic shining out of my guitar soundhole. So with each of the Baggs pickups I've used, i disassemble the screws. take off the plastic cover. and spray paint it matt black, and screw it back together and install it on my guitar.

You can buy a Takaminie version (Tri-ax I think) that comes in black. But they cost $60 to $80 more than the Baggs unit, and it's the same pickup with a black plastic cover. So I just painted mine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification