The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-02-2018, 10:05 PM

Default Tension on Guitalele Strings

The strings on a Guitalele are ADGCEA. If I change to Guitalele Strings that are EADGBE, will there be more or less tension on the instrument?

Almanza 401 Mate
Classical

Ventura 12 string V17, now
a 6 string Lap Guitar.

Kala Baritone Ukulele

Melokia, Solid Acacia Tenor Ukulele

Yamaha Guitalele GL1

Yamaha CS40 Classical
Old 08-03-2018, 12:25 AM

Much less tension if you tune ADGCEA strings (down) so that they sound the same as a normally tuned guitar.
If you buy an EADGBE set, specifically made for a guitalele then the tension should be similar to when you a ADGCEA set tuned correctly.

I have a Cordoba mini (which I think are very good for their size), the scale length is long enough that I buy high tension carbon strings. I can tune to EADGBE and it is ok to play. I think the Yamaha scale length is shorter than the cordoba mini, which means tension will be less. Check this.

These carbon trebles are good for "mini" guitars:

Hannabach Carbon Trebles MHT
or
Savarez Alliance HT trebles

The basses I have used have been these:
La Bella - Fractional guitar strings (there are different packets but they are all the same gauge)
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 08-03-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:39 AM

As Sirwhale stated above the tension will be less. The scale length on your Yamaha GL 1 is only 17" so finding something for E-E tuning without it being super floppy feeling will be a challenge. You can't fight physics, a scale length that short is best at A-A for normal tension under finger
Old 08-03-2018, 10:19 AM

A ball-park rule of thumb for classical guitar string tension is between 10 and 15 lbs per string. More starts to feel stiff, and less feels floppy and might not intonate properly on an acoustic. D'Addario has a string tension calculator that you can find and see what strings might work.

Last edited by MC5C; 08-03-2018 at 10:25 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments