The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-17-2022, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Cross View Post
I just bought this Furch on the forum, and it blew me away with the tone, and the volume I was getting out of it acoustically. The pickup was removed so I am installing an LR Baggs Anthem so I can play plugged in.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...ighlight=Furch
That looks great, and a sweet deal too!
Old 05-17-2022, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
I mentioned this in another thread—I was really impressed by the number of guitar shops in Paris, many of which are clustered on a couple of streets in the 9th arrondissement. If you can add a detour on your trip, it might be worth it.
Cool, I'll keep that in mind. Anyone in particular?
Old 05-17-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
I cannot talk about all the guitars you mention, but I can share some of my trials.
I generally prefer Mahogany over Rosewood.

First, it is generally said that Taylors have more mid presence while Martins
have bass predominance.

Well, my Taylor 322, Mahogany/Tasmanian Blackwood with ernie ball Al/Br strings
sounds quite like my 2014 Martin OOO-18 with its Martin MSP4100 strings set.

I used to have a 2007 Taylor GS-5 that sounded as bassy as a Gibson J-100 (nearby the SJ-200).

I also owned some Larrivees and I found them to sound nearby Taylors.
But I have to say I never touched a rarer 05 series example...
My OM-09 Spruce/Rosewood, had too much overtones for me.

I now also own a Taylor 412ce Sitka/Ovangkol : nice !
That said, I have to say I am myself lurking toward some Taylor 414 for more bass...

Maybe you could be interested in some Segull Performer from Godin.

There is another consideration : long term.
Neck reset is easy to do on a Taylor's bolted neck.
Great. I think Furch (at least the new models) have a neck technology that is quite sturdy and easy to adjust.

I had a Seaguil Performer Mini Jumbo, Spruce and flame maple. It was gorgeous but I never got to like it even if I wanted too, it was a bit too trebly and I found the neck quite chunky. At the moment I have an Art & Lutherie folk that does the job but I'd like something more responsive and with more depth
Old 05-17-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
Hi there,
There are a couple of excellent guitar shops in Ireland. Depending on where you live, I would recommend Someneck guitars in Dublin, or Moloney music in Galway. There's another good one in wexford but I can't remember the name and there's one in Blackrock, Co Louth, so you're spoiled for choice really.
You will also find a good range of second hand guitars on adverts.ie where you should be able to pick up a used Lowden or McIlroy for under three grand.
If you are going to Germany, you could try and fit in a visit to TFOA in the Netherlands but very close to the German border. PM me if you need any further information.
Yes, I'm keeping an eye out on adverts, I know of someneck guitars and Moloney which would be the closest to me. The problem is that they don's stock the brands I'd be looking form Moloney is a McIlroy dealer but he's sold out now and no Taylors or Martin. Someneck right now have a limited selection and out of my budget. I must check out the others. I've seen a couple of videos from TFOA and I'll look at their site. Do you know them?

Thanks
Old 05-17-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Cavez, Welcome to the AGF! Even though this is your first post you're a senior member because you've been here for 13 years. That might be a record

I've never played a Furch before but I own a Lowden, Martin, and a couple of Taylors. They all sound very different. When it comes to flatpicking, I prefer the Martin (or Taylor) over the Lowden (the Lowden is too lush). Fingerpicking I prefer the Lowden. All around guitar is probably my Taylor GA.

I wouldn't get caught up in the bracing discussions - focus more on if you like the manufacturer's signature tone and go with that.

Let us know what you come up with. I think the trip to German/Thomann would be a great way to play a lot of guitars.
Nice selection! Yes, I opened the account a while back and I completely forgot I had until I tried to re-register

Yes, I want to avoid the bracing discussion but I'd like to try the different ones.

I heard only good things about Furch and the price tag is inviting this is what I was looking at https://furchguitars.com/en/instrume...low-deluxe-sr/
A trip to Thomann would be great indeed to get lost in the rabbit hole trying things out for a few hours.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavez View Post
Cool, I'll keep that in mind. Anyone in particular?
As a lefty, I was mainly focused on Le Gaucher, but there’s a string of shops along nearby rue de Douai. The shops are small, but several have good selections. Probably the best that I recall was Centrale Gallery. They had Taylor and Furch guitars downstairs and Bourgeois, Boucher and Martin custom shop guitars upstairs. The neighborhood isn’t far from Montmartre and Sacre-Coeur, so you can throw in some sightseeing while you’re at it.

Unfortunately, every time I passed by Galerie Casanova in the Galerie Véro-Dodat it was closed (even when it was supposed to be open). Worth a visit and in the city center.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:42 PM

I have an A69 all koa Mcilroy. It’s very unlike any Martin or Taylor I have played as it does not have that Martin scoop or Taylor’s brightness. It has wide dynamics, a lot of depth, sustain and reverb.

Interestingly it is not impacted much by humidity changes and is very stable in case that’s important to you.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

My McIlroy A30c (Rosewood/Sitka) is my best guitar. With the appointments that Dermot includes in his standard line (that Lowden makes you go up to the 35 series to get) I'd say that a Mac will save you $1,500-$2,500 over the "same" Lowden. Dermot makes his guitars himself, and he is a player. Highest recommendation for a Mac here.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Owned both Taylor and Furch recently. Personally I wouldn’t get hung up on the bracing arguments, especially if guitar isn’t your main instrument. Also not so sure the long term prospects of a neck reset are that critical but everyone has different things they focus in on.

I loved my Furchs (OMc) except over the longer term I found the neck a bit too svelte for me. Other than that, quite well made instruments that sounded good, played good, looked good. If possible you should play some of the candidates and it depends if you’re sensitive to neck shape (some are, some aren’t) and/or body shape. In my case I only play OM/000 or 00 bodies as I really don’t like more than 4” of body depth. Other folks are happy with dreads jumbos, whatever.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 05-18-2022, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Nice selection! Yes, I opened the account a while back and I completely forgot I had until I tried to re-register

Yes, I want to avoid the bracing discussion but I'd like to try the different ones.

I heard only good things about Furch and the price tag is inviting this is what I was looking at https://furchguitars.com/en/instrume...low-deluxe-sr/
A trip to Thomann would be great indeed to get lost in the rabbit hole trying things out for a few hours.
(<Drools> I would love to have an arm bevel.)

If you are able, I’d suggest comparing a cedar topped Furch to a spruce topped … it might surprise you with its deliciously rich sound (balanced with plenty of high end — the keyword being ‘balanced’).

Of course, if you’ve read any of my posts on the subject of Furch, you know I am very, very happy with mine. (For me, their CNR system inspires huge confidence for the long term. I’m convinced these guitars are fabulous value for the price.)

Last edited by Aimelie; 05-18-2022 at 03:43 AM.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:30 AM

Furch owner here. I havent played Taylors or Martin standard series. But I am really happy with Furch. I had Red Deluxe Grand auditorium earlier and now deep body om Rainbow. The fit and finish is perfect. Guitar is very resonant. I also think Furch is very good bang for the buck, atleast in Europe. Love their new technology like CNR, finish, voicing process etc. Hiscox case is very Light and rigid. Sound is very modern, not very dry or vintage like. If you are after dry and "vintage" sound, maybe I would lean towards Martin?

Furch Rainbow 2022 Deep OM Adirondack-EIR
Eastman E10D-TC
Eastman T486
Sigma CR-10
Old 05-18-2022, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
.....Cool, perhaps I'm off re sound description of this wood combo. How would you describe it?
I would say it is more a question of the underlying guitar design than the wood combination.

I have two A models McIlroys, an A25 and an A30, they share the characteristic open sound, responsive, good sustain, but sound quite different to me.

The A25 is Cedar/Walnut, and for me this works very well in a McIlroy, warm with nice lush ringing harmonics, even noticeable in the bass notes that are particularly well defined. Great for fingerstyle, I tend to leave it a lot in DADGAD.

The A30 is Sitka/EIR and is definitely more versatile. It requires a stronger attack to show it’s capability. Still plenty of nice overtones but less so than the cedar topped guitar. If I had to state one attribute that stands out it is the bell like nature of the trebles.

Have a listen - better than words can describe: http://rods-music.caoulet.com/music/...y Daisy 1c.mp3

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube

Last edited by RodB; 05-18-2022 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Yes, I'm keeping an eye out on adverts, I know of someneck guitars and Moloney which would be the closest to me. The problem is that they don's stock the brands I'd be looking form Moloney is a McIlroy dealer but he's sold out now and no Taylors or Martin. Someneck right now have a limited selection and out of my budget. I must check out the others. I've seen a couple of videos from TFOA and I'll look at their site. Do you know them?

Thanks
Yes, I know TFOA well, I have bought and sold several guitars with them over the years. They are the nicest people to deal with, I went there for a weekend once and they picked me up from the railway station and organised a B&B, you couldn't have a better experience. Plus the fact that they have hundreds of high end guitars hanging on the walls.
Old 05-21-2022, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

This might interest you? A rare Lowden dread - in Europe....

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=646977

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 05-21-2022, 02:41 AM
Charter Member

Post deleted

Last edited by Quake17; 05-22-2022 at 04:11 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
comparison, furch, mcilroy, taylor