The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-20-2022, 08:26 PM

I bought my youngest son a CME exclusive surf green player strat for his birthday. We had to clean up the frets a bit, but other than that I think it is a fantastic strat. I actually thought briefly about getting one of the lake
Placid blue special runs but then realized I was being ridiculous with everything else I have.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
I bought my youngest son a CME exclusive surf green player strat for his birthday. We had to clean up the frets a bit, but other than that I think it is a fantastic strat. I actually thought briefly about getting one of the lake
Placid blue special runs but then realized I was being ridiculous with everything else I have.
Congrats! I'm sure he's going to love that Strat!

I'm thinking of adding yet another Fender Strat, this one is also a Fender Player Strat. Its a limited edition color (and of course, discontinued). The color is Fiesta Red. I've always had a weakness for that color, particularly after watching Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits play one long ago.

I'd prefer a maple neck, but the color has me smitten.

I have a line on one I can buy new. Its between this one and a Fender Vintera model that is Olympic White with the larger CBS style headstock. I can afford either, but not sure which one to pull the trigger on.

Here's the pic: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...hing-headstock

Last edited by Blackmore Fan; 05-20-2022 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 05:32 AM

Olympic white and fiesta red strats are two of my favorite colors. I don't mind the feel of pau ferro at all, but I have to admit that I struggle with the look of it when it is too light in color. Also, my one warning with MIMs is to always check for neck pocket finish cracks. The polyester finishes are so thick that I seem to see more neck pocket finish cracks on MIMs than others - although they are possible on most any Fenders. So be sure who ever you buy from has a good return policy for you to check the guitar out.

I will also say that it has been my consistent experience with MIMs that the necks suffer more movement and fret sprout within the first year or two than my American made models. I have to wonder if the wood they use for the MIM necks is not as seasoned or as good a quality as the American models? However, I have also found that after the first year or two, the necks settle down fine and seem to be perfectly fine.

Also, I think MIMs tend to be a little heavier overall than the American models - my 2017 Baja tele is a chunker at 8lbs. My sons's Surf Green strat is also an 8 pounder.

Last edited by TiffanyGuitar; 05-21-2022 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-21-2022, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
Olympic white and fiesta red strats are two of my favorite colors.
I have a weakness for both of those colors! I'm struggling to find a reason to add a Fiesta Red Strat available locally. I don't "need" it...but I sure do like the looks of it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars