The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2022, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Default Ceo-7 sound

Recently played a Martin Ceo-7 and was just blown away with how big it sounds. I played it next to my 00-18 and they have drastically different tonal properties. The Ceo-7 sounds fuller in the bass and very fundamental, with a slightly quicker decay. I totally dig it. I did notice that fingerpicking, notes seem to fall out of the 00-18 much more easily.

My question is, how much of the Ceo-7 sound (specifically the fundamental bias and quick decay) is the shape vs. the top?

While, I know the answer is "it's both," I'm asking because 1. I don't LOVE the burst top, and 2. I wonder if finding a 00-18 or 00-28 with an adirondack top will produce a similar sound to the ceo?

I guess another way of asking is: how does a 00-18 with an adi top compare to the ceo-7?

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2022, 10:43 AM

https://cartervintage.com/collection...tom-ceo-7-2016

might fix the sunburst problem

2005 Martin D-18GE Shade Top
Taylor 717 Builders Edition
PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-12-2022, 11:17 AM

The back and side woods will be different on a CEO… the standard series uses “genuine” mahogany and the CEO uses I think Sipo? Someone else probably has more precise info than me on that.

I don’t think that’s a bad thing, by the way. I sold a 000-18 in favor of keeping my CEO…

I think the CEO has a larger lower bout than a 00 also, which probably affects the tone in some way. I found the 000 to be sweeter and richer in tone, but something about the CEO just set it apart for me.
Old 05-12-2022, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle215 View Post
The back and side woods will be different on a CEO… the standard series uses “genuine” mahogany and the CEO uses I think Sipo? Someone else probably has more precise info than me on that.

I don’t think that’s a bad thing, by the way. I sold a 000-18 in favor of keeping my CEO…

I think the CEO has a larger lower bout than a 00 also, which probably affects the tone in some way. I found the 000 to be sweeter and richer in tone, but something about the CEO just set it apart for me.
Yeah, this is how I felt about the Ceo. It's not as "rich" or complex, and my 00-18 feels more "intimate." But the CEO has some serious oomph behind the notes.

Last edited by Luckymud; 05-12-2022 at 12:35 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-12-2022, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcregle1 View Post
Interesting -- this is pretty spendy for me, especially used. I guess I'd be nervous about...something? Idk.

I called around and I think I can get -15% off the standard. But the natural top is more appealing. Not sure if it's $650 more appealing, though.
Old 05-12-2022, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcregle1 View Post
On closer inspection, the top on this guitar is listed as "European Swiss Spruce" instead of the Adirondack on the standard.

Can anyone comment on adi vs. European Swiss spruces?
Old 05-12-2022, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

The one @Carters is a very cool custom shop guitar. It seems a bargain at $3000. I'd love to hear it.
Old 05-12-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymud View Post
On closer inspection, the top on this guitar is listed as "European Swiss Spruce" instead of the Adirondack on the standard.

Can anyone comment on adi vs. European Swiss spruces?
It looks like the “genuine mahogany” that is used on standard series Martins as well… so basically it’s a CEO-7 shape with different woods. It’s probably a great guitar but it will probably sound different than the one you played…
Old 05-12-2022, 04:37 PM

You could always order a CEO7 from the Martin custom shop without the burst.
But you’d be paying some extra to get them to delete a feature.

_RP
Old 05-12-2022, 08:17 PM

I’ve got a very recent CEO 7 whose back and sides appear to be genuine mahogany, although I am not that familiar with sipo to identify it. My adi top and back and sides are both excellent and I find the burst appealing. I’m quite happy with my CEO 7 the way that it is, including the tuners.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle215 View Post
It looks like the “genuine mahogany” that is used on standard series Martins as well… so basically it’s a CEO-7 shape with different woods. It’s probably a great guitar but it will probably sound different than the one you played…
Well -- I guess I'm going to find out!

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this. I liked the idea of genuine mahogany, and also the wood binding instead of the plastic that seems to be giving people some problems lately.

If it's SUPER different than the standard Ceo, I can probably find it another loving home fairly easily.

Now the waiting begins.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

I'd be interested in your opinion on the sound and tone etc.of your new one. I've had a CEO-7 for a few years, It has a unique sound, depth and fullness, I've never heard a 00 quite like it. I'm guessing that Luckymud is a reference to Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle and the Books of Bokonon, one of my favorite creation myths:

"And I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look
around.
Lucky me, lucky mud."
Old 05-13-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymud View Post
Well -- I guess I'm going to find out!

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this. I liked the idea of genuine mahogany, and also the wood binding instead of the plastic that seems to be giving people some problems lately.

If it's SUPER different than the standard Ceo, I can probably find it another loving home fairly easily.

Now the waiting begins.
Cool, I’m curious to see what you think of it. You know you need to post some pics when it comes in, right?
Old 05-13-2022, 06:44 PM

I think youll be pleased with this.
Yes imho the adi top is what makes the guitar.
Sunburst has nothing to do with it.
Purly asthetics.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaharadelta View Post
I'm guessing that Luckymud is a reference to Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle and the Books of Bokonon, one of my favorite creation myths:

"And I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look
around.
Lucky me, lucky mud."
You know, in the 20 some-odd years of using this screenname across different platforms, you're maybe the 2nd or 3rd person to have commented on that reference.

<<high five>>

Last edited by Luckymud; 05-14-2022 at 10:23 AM. Reason: grammar is hard

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion