The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-11-2021, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Default New design for Paige Original Capo

Paige have redesigned the "original" capo (on the left). It is deeper and has a felt rather than rubber cradle. The bar sheath is urethane but the black rubber I think is still available from thier website if you want.

The old version would not store on the nut of my Legacy but the new one is deep enough to do so. I think that these are still the cheapest option for a yoke style capo. And they work just fine.

Paige have a new $200 capo coming out soon. I won't be reviewing that one! But I expect someone on AGF will.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

No they don't work just fine.

I have recently bought a new Paige capo and find it completely unusable. I cannot get the latch that holds the bar down to rotate off the bar with any reasonable amount of force. I have had to use a tool to get the thing to release. It's awful.

I keep looking for a way to loosen up the pin that allows that lock to pivot, but so far I have not found a way to really make much difference.

I'd send it back but I no longer have any of the original packaging materials. What a stupid design decision to change something that was working into something that isn't working.

- Glenn
Old 11-11-2021, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

The latch works OK on mine? But I'm not sure why they changed from the flip over U latch.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

I had a problem with a new Elliot. I sent them an email and
they quickly sent back the solution...

-Mike
Old 11-11-2021, 06:19 PM

I've wanted to try out a Paige capo for a long time, but my 20 year old shubb has never given me any reason to buy another one.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:08 PM

I have had a Kyser for probably 18 years, my Shubb a couple years, they're all I need but I've thought about a Paige capo for a while, I decided to throw a discounted blemished one on my most recent stringsbymail order. Hasn't arrived yet, I've never used a yoke style, don't need 2 capos let alone 3, but I was hoping it would store behind the nut, so we'll see.
Old 11-12-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

I have recently bought a new Paige capo and find it completely unusable. I cannot get the latch that holds the bar down to rotate off the bar with any reasonable amount of force. I have had to use a tool to get the thing to release. It's awful.

I keep looking for a way to loosen up the pin that allows that lock to pivot, but so far I have not found a way to really make much difference.

I'd send it back but I no longer have any of the original packaging materials. What a stupid design decision to change something that was working into something that isn't working.

- Glenn
I just got a new black Paige and found I have to gently squeeze the yoke ends together to get the latch to rotate when it's engaged. I sprayed the latch pin area liberally with ancient mechanic's elixir (aka WD-40) and it didn't seem to make much difference either.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:19 AM

For whatever it's worth, I just received my Page capo yesterday, the new style. Mine works really good, no issues, the latch works just fine on mine. I've never had this style of capo, and didn't need it as I mentioned I have a shubb and a kyser, but it's pretty cool, it's a good theory of even pressure application. I'll keep it on my Guild for a while, not sure if I'll always use it, thebkyser and shubb are quick to use, this one takes a little longer to loosen, move and tighten, but we're only talking seconds longer. The nice thing is if I don't use it I can move it past the nut a bit, like moving the kyser to the headstock. The shubb I have to remove, where my 3 year old then spots and plays with and usually loses it lol
Old 11-23-2021, 07:40 AM

Default Tap Tap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Paige have redesigned the "original" capo (on the left).
So will this model be known as The New Original? Thinking of Tap here...
Old 11-23-2021, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I just got a new black Paige and found I have to gently squeeze the yoke ends together to get the latch to rotate when it's engaged. I sprayed the latch pin area liberally with ancient mechanic's elixir (aka WD-40) and it didn't seem to make much difference either.
Yes, I tried WD-40 also and as you note, it made essentially no difference.

I'll see if squeezing the yoke ends together helps at all.

Thanks for your thoughts...

- Glenn
Old 11-23-2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:

- Glenn

I have several Paige capos of slightly different design. Never had the problem you describe. Some, like my Clik version, require that you lightly squeeze the curved parts where they meet the latch.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I have several Paige capos of slightly different design. Never had the problem you describe. Some, like my Clik version, require that you lightly squeeze the curved parts where they meet the latch.
Thank you. Mandobart, I believe, is suggesting the same thing about squeezing in the yoke.

I will experiment a little more to see if it helps.

- Glenn
Old 11-24-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Thank you. Mandobart, I believe, is suggesting the same thing about squeezing in the yoke.

I will experiment a little more to see if it helps.

- Glenn
I do hope this works for you. I was having difficulty making the Clik design work for me and it turned out I hadn't latched the yoke properly because I didn't squeeze a little. Once I figured that out, it was smooth sailing. Though I prefer the regular type over the Clik.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

- Glenn
I would like to report that I did a little mechanical work on my new Paige capo and I did get the latch loosened up so that the capo is very usable now.

I wanted to set the record straight. I don't know why it was so tight out of the package, but I worked it loose and now it's fine. In fact, it's a very nice yoke-style capo for a very moderate price.

- Glenn
Old 12-28-2021, 12:17 AM

It’s good of you to come back to this thread and correct your previous statement about the capo, Glenn. Not everyone would do that.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion