The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Huh? I scanned this thread but could not find anything that would not be family-friendly. Did I miss anything?
there was a guitar with naked ladies on it, i think it's gone now. but the klepper guitar is still exposed, so to speak.

Last edited by mc1; 01-24-2015 at 07:35 AM. Reason: tpyo
Old 01-23-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
The original model died of lung cancer. Truth.
He was also gay!
Old 01-23-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I think it speaks volumes about a "man" as he relates to visual symbolism. If he considers it important in his life, he lacks confidence. If he never gives it a thought, he exudes the stuff.

Paint - Flames, fade-outs, stripes, 2-tones, sunbursts, geometrics are the showmanship of something missing. Plain, unpainted natural materials supporting the aesthetic tell us everything is already good enough.

Paint = Ostentatiousness; dissatisfied with what life has dealt you. No paint = Humble acceptance of it.

Add to the list with paint anything else that does not appear together naturally. MOP is not found naturally adorning "The Tree" or any other similar botanical growth. MOP, any inlay work, plating (gold, chrome, etc), is all a conspiracy to bespoke nature to a new standard; to better it somehow and glistening as unmanly.

Now, if only they'd extrude pink Boltaron I could complete my specs for a custom build.
What you say is true in some situations but really depends on who is viewing it in a particular context. Your statement could be viewed as a condemnation of artistic expression. Humans have always strived to make functional objects into a work of art - everything from paleolithic arrowheads to modern guitars. The bling is often a celebration of nature's beauty bringing awe and joy to the beholder. How it strikes you is a matter of taste but I try to bring visual interest to everything in my life - it's a natural urge brah...
Old 01-23-2015, 10:37 PM

Well in a time where defining "manly" has become impossible, and bling even harder. It becomes a personal opinion. For me lions and tigers and bears don't belong on my guitar - ever. About as far as I would go with bling would be what comes standard on a Martin D45. This is not mine but it's as far as I would go.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:44 PM

I don't know diddly about guns (and don't want to) but there must be SOME size of ammo that would make bridge pins. Would that help?
Old 01-24-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I don't know diddly about guns (and don't want to) but there must be SOME size of ammo that would make bridge pins. Would that help?
Yeah, just don't snug them up by tapping them with a little hammer.

Reid
Old 01-24-2015, 02:41 AM

My first real guitar was a Yairi purchased in Tampa . It had so much abalone, after awhile - made me nauseous just looking at it .. I sold it a year later and have never had another guitar with anything other than soundhole abalone only. Tooo showy for my tastes . Blahhhhh....give me tone , not bling .....
Old 01-24-2015, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR-549 View Post
Not acoustic, but me likey.

Couldn't make picture work but this is link. http://community.learnandmaster.com/...31913-hot-rod/
Ah yes, and the 'notes per minute' speedometer is an absolute must. Bluegrass players should take note...
Old 01-24-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchmcg View Post
And here are a couple of mine. I dunno if I'd call them "manly", but I wouldn't use the adjective "feminine" either, especially since my wife has made it plain that I'm not to sell these two.

What kind of flag is that then . . . ?

Very manly (to be said in a Hoyt Axton vocal)
Old 01-24-2015, 06:53 AM

Does Esteban have a blinged out option on his guitars?
Old 01-24-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Does Esteban have a blinged out option on his guitars?
always tasteful:

Old 01-24-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
When I first saw this thread, this is the first thing that came to mind... From Joel Stehr's website...

Now that's cool
Old 01-24-2015, 10:08 AM

Judging by observations in my neighborhood this morning, a snowblower motif would seem to be "manly".
Old 01-24-2015, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychojohn View Post
A pic from an guitar blinged out with flora and fauna motived the below post so I thought I'd start a dedicated thread and see what others thought.

"I ride a Victory classic cruiser with an old school flame job. I run a Stroker bass boat with a 300 Pro Max. I eat nails for breakfast and don't eat quiche. None the less I love the frilly (arguably feminine) appointments on this and other flora and faunally blinged out guitars.

Why don't we see more "MANLY" designs for bling. A flame job on the finger board, Valvoline stickers on the body, full metal jackets as bridge pins or cut up for frets or fret markers. Over stated but you get my question."

John
I don't think that I've ever thought of guitar bling as masculine or feminine, just tasteful and gaudy. I've yet to see a bass boat that was tasteful. To quote Rainman, they're just too "sparkly" for my taste no matter how many horses in the motor...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-24-2015, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Some Gibsons have "manly bling" such as the J185 with Maltese crosses and the Super 400 with split blocks and split diamonds.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion