The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-04-2014, 07:22 AM

Default Bridge Pull

Same thing happened to my Martin D12XM. It also developed a bit of a belly just underneath the bridge. Martin wouldn't repair it.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:33 AM

Default Icon 2 Convertable

I like this guitar a lot. Especially for the price. I have one question about it and it really has to do with the Seymour Duncan P-Rails that come on it. They also have a 3 Jason Lollar P-90 pick-up Icon. I'm wondering if, since most combo units don't do things as well as dedicated units, if the Lollar P-90 is better sounding than the P-90 phase of the P-Rail? The P-Rail also has a unique humbucking tone since one of the coil sets in the P-Rail is an actual P-90 pickup. It lends a unique P-90 flavor to the bucker tone. I find the single coil tones from the alnico 5 bar kind of lame.

I really want this guitar for the P-90 sound. I have other guitars with humbucking and single coil pickups. So I'm thinking I'll be better off with the Lollar straight P-90 version. But, if the P-90 sound of the P-rail is a good example of a P-90, I'm fine where I am. I can certainly see switching between the P-90 and P-90 flavored bucker sounds and combining the two in various ways.

Has anyone had any experience with the P-Rail vs P-90 pup's? Are they comparable? .
Old 02-04-2014, 07:47 AM
Guest4562

My electric is a Godin, an LGX-SA if I remember correctly. Excellent instrument.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:35 PM

Default Godin/Sweetwater Customer Service

A quick follow-up to my last posting. The service from both Godin and Sweetwater was so excellent I hesitate to share the details. Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-06-2014, 07:17 AM

I have an A6 Ultra and an xtsa (I think) electric with the 13 pin. Really nice guitars. Have a Seagull too of course.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-06-2014, 07:21 AM

Default Godin Icon 2

I don't know what's going on with my guitar or perhaps me. I am now finding my Icon 2 Conv. nearly impossible to tune. I know the nut was lowered when the guitar was set up for me. Now i'm finding the guitar is in tune for some chords but not others. The intonations are off- always sharp, when I test them at the second or twelveth fret. Interestingly enough, the intonations (without depressing the note to the board) seems in tune at the 12th. But if I play the fretted note at the 12th, it's always sharp. I know that some people, who are very heavy handed, can force a note to be sharp. But, I don't seem to have this issue with any other guitar. Besides who doesn't push their notes down almost to the fret board, especially when doing bends?

This doesn't explain why the guitar would be in-tune for some 1st position chords but out of tune for others.

I watched as the tech adjusted the intonations on a strobe tuner in the shop. Seemed OK then. I guess I'll bring it back and see what he thinks. It can be hard to get to the bottom of intonation issues because of the many factors involved. I suspect the nut or some nut slots need filing.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:34 AM

SB....Maybe bad strings. My early T5 Taylor would not stay in tune till I switched strings...was frustrating for sure. Just thinkin'
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-06-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
A quick follow-up to my last posting. The service from both Godin and Sweetwater was so excellent I hesitate to share the details. Jon
I love a happy ending! I also encountered a problem involving a Godin guitar I had purchased. The story is a long and rather complex one, but in the end, Godin went way out of their way to make things right with me. That counts for a lot in my book, and I think it bears relevance to the title of this thread.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:44 PM

Default Icon 2

I brought it back to the shop where I puchased it. My first impulse was to change the strings but it's in their hands now.

A lot of folks stay away from Godin because the re-sale value isn't there. I just want to say that 've sold an S-6 and a Seagull Artist Spruce/Rosewood with ll. Baggs electronics for more than I paid for them. Maybe the tide is turning.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:45 AM

Default Godin a6 ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I have an A6 Ultra and an xtsa (I think) electric with the 13 pin. Really nice guitars. Have a Seagull too of course.
Can you give me your comments on the a6 ultra? Thank you
Old 02-12-2014, 09:17 AM

Default Icon 2

I got my Icon back from the shop. He adjusted the intonations once more but said they really were not that off. The first thing I did when I got it home was take off the strings clean and polish the fret board and body and re-string it with a slightly lighter Gauge string set. .09-.42. they are one of the few godins that come with .10 sets. I know that putting lighter strings on usually make an intonation problem worse. But I also figured that if Godin puts .09's on almost all Electrics, then why not this one?

It turned out great. Always in tune, powerful sound thanks to those P-Rails and better action. I'm not an advocate of extra light strings. I basically learned to play lead on an acoustic. I found that learning on a higher gauge made things much better for me when i finally did get an electric guitar. I usually only use .10's even on my Strat and SG. Sometimes I even go a little heavier. I find the stability and tone much better in higher gauges.

But, lighter strings on my Icon seem to have made a great improvement. I recommend that anyone who owns one of these scream machines try them. I was surprised that the tone wasn't significantly effected on the higher strings at all.

Mission accomplished!
Old 02-12-2014, 10:11 AM

Cool Godin

I've been following this thread with interest and have a question. Which Godin model or which Godin models have piezo? Also what is your opinion of the acoustic sound from the Godin model with piezo? I'd love to have a light weight guitar that I can play acoustic and/or electric. I should add, I play rhythm guitar in a classic rock band sometimes and the acoustic piezo has to be loud enough to be heard (we don't play crazy loud). thanks, michael s.
Godin ACS SA Sunburst
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Campbell American UK1
G&L ASAT Classic
Aria Sinsinido
Fender Precision Bass

Last edited by michael s; 02-12-2014 at 10:25 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 02-12-2014, 10:59 AM

My A6 Ultra review. It weighs about 6 lbs and I think fits your spec perfectly. Jon

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=318147
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-12-2014, 02:30 PM

Cool Godin

Thanks Jon, nice review. michael s.
Godin ACS SA Sunburst
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Campbell American UK1
G&L ASAT Classic
Aria Sinsinido
Fender Precision Bass
Old 02-12-2014, 05:34 PM

Default A-6

The A6 is awsome! Really makes those Fender Acoustcasters, or whatever they are, look like toys.

Last time I saw Jerry Jeff Walker live, he was playing an A-6. I have a picture of him doing so but have no idea hoe to send a picture.

Godin and Baggs pioneered the piezo pick-up guitar and there still sin't any one who does it better. They also have piezos in their more conventional solid body guitars. I'd look at those for rock.

Even PRS went to Baggs for their Piezo electronics in their new P-22. That's an amazing guitar too, but for the money you can't do better than a Godin product.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars