The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2022, 10:23 AM

Default wound B strings

Hi,

A while back I realised that the Thomastik KF18 (I think) G string for classical could make a B string on acoustic, one that should address all my gripes with plain wire treble strings. Indeed it did; it sounded perfect thanks to stainless steel flat winding over a silk-and-steel core. Sadly tension was too high for me, so it went off before it could do too much fret damage.

Last week I saw the AC16 string available separately, the flatwound brass over silk-and-steel G from the Plectrum AC110 set. Decided to give that one a chance on my archtop; estimates from tensions TI list on their string envelopes suggests that the string should have a tension comparable to a 17 gauge plain wire.

Turns out it is a 0.017" gauge string. I cannot measure the actual tension, but the required for a given sideways deflection is actually a bit less than with the 16 gauge plain B I use on that guitar. That probably includes the effect of the larger flexibility of a wound string.

It's on since yesterday evening so hasn't yet lost its initial brass'hy twang but my impression is that it'll sound just fine too.The feeling is very nice of course, and I love how classical style vibrato is easier and glissandi so much more audible. I fully expect this string to cause *less* fret wear, but I'm afraid that its winding won't hold up very long, even less than on the G strings of the AC111 and AC112 sets. Also, intonation gets sharp, 6-8ct at the 12th fret, as could be expected. So I'll probably not make using these a habit, at over 3€ per string...

Anyone else have experience with wound B strings?

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 05-20-2022, 10:40 AM

I had a customer who was using a wound B string but he couldn't get it to intonate properly. I explained to him that his saddle was compensated for a plain B, not a wound B but he didn't want to spend the money on a new saddle and literally brought the guitar to the other tech here in town, who is a good friend of mine. He explained the same thing to him and again, he didn't want to spring for a new saddle. I have no idea what happened but as it was, his guitar wouldn't intonate properly with the wound B he was using.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Turns out it is a 0.017" gauge string. I cannot measure the actual tension, but the required for a given sideways deflection is actually a bit less than with the 16 gauge plain B I use on that guitar. That probably includes the effect of the larger flexibility of a wound string.

Anyone else have experience with wound B strings?
Not with a wound B, however I like a wound G on electric, so it seems worth a go.

Since the ac16 is spec'd at 15.8 lbs tension as a G, it should run about 24.8 lbs in the B position, a bit heavy on a small core, I'm not sure if that would affect it's life.

I'm planning to trial a set of flat-wounds on my Martin, I'll try the ac16 for the B!
Old 05-20-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie-f View Post
Not with a wound B, however I like a wound G on electric, so it seems worth a go.
I'd expect the difference to be more notable on an acoustic, esp. a flattop which has an (inherent?) tendency to be nasal sounding on its trebles.

I messed up in my OP: the string intonates flat of course, as the compensation is too big. It's manageable though by tuning the open string a bit sharp.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Old 05-20-2022, 12:49 PM

Pretty sure guys like Eddie Lang used wound B's on their archtops.

I'd worry about getting into the "more tension than is practical and good for the guitar" on a flattop.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-21-2022, 06:59 AM

wound B strings

Given some of the issues with the wound 'B' and the saddle compensation, may I suggest trying a straight steel 'B' string? I use the Elixir PB HD Light gauge on most of my six strings, which includes a .017 'B' string.

HD Light gauge is (.013, .017, .025, .032, .042, and .053), essentially using Medium steel trebles, a tweener wound 'G' and Light wound bass strings.

I fingerpick using my nails as picks, and like the balanced sound this produces, especially on Jumbo shaped (not necessarily sized) guitars. All of my guitars are either Jumbo or Jumbo related shapes, including my smaller Grand Concerts.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 05-21-2022, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
Given some of the issues with the wound 'B' and the saddle compensation, may I suggest trying a straight steel 'B' string?
I do normally, evidently, but I find it near impossible to find trebles that I truly like. I may switch to the Optima gold-plated ones, from their 2028 set for e-guitar. A 17 gauge B string would be too much for me, sadly.

Apparently it's also possible to find carbonfluor fishing line that can make E and B strings with appropriate tensions for acoustic guitar. Haven't figured out yet which gauges that would be, nor how to avoid buying 2 huge (and expensive) spools.

Meanwhile that AC16 is almost broken in, and it is really beginning to sing!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion