The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-02-2022, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Cordoba c5ce

I played one months ago and liked it as a fusion guitar since it has a narrower neck. Didn’t buy it then but found one online for a good deal. Anyone own one? What are your thoughts?
Old 04-06-2022, 06:46 AM

Owned one for several years - it’s a good student-level guitar. I passed it on to my son in law when I got my C-10. I used it during my Berklee program and it did just fine. The only complaint I ever had with it was a transient buzz from the battery compartment. Easily solved with a small piece of foam.
Cordoba C-10
Martin 000-15
... and a few others ...
Old 04-06-2022, 07:49 AM

Default Cordoba C5ce.

Have owned one for 3 years now and still love it,nice and mellow. Records great!
Old 04-07-2022, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Great to hear! Yes it’s an inexpensive guitar but I thought the one I played was very impressive and the narrow profile makes it the perfect jazz fusion guitar. Mine is on the way via musicians friend!
Old 04-15-2022, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
Great to hear! Yes it’s an inexpensive guitar but I thought the one I played was very impressive and the narrow profile makes it the perfect jazz fusion guitar. Mine is on the way via musicians friend!
Hi. Apologies for asking. Did you receive your guitar yet? If so can I ask what your impressions are of it so far please?
Old 04-18-2022, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Hi Yanto,
I was just about to post about it. It arrived last week and I had some time to play it. I purchased it used from Musicians Friend and it was listed in Fair condition so it isn't perfect. One of the tuner buttons was broken and I have noticed that the top of the guitar is actually dipping at the bridge (opposite of a bellying bridge area) and that the back arch is noticeably flat. However, the action is very low and there's still plenty of saddle so I'm thinking maybe that deformation in the top is due to it being very thin and lightly braced which is good.

It's a very light guitar and the cedar gives it that warm sound , very good for what I want since I'm trying to play Joe Pass style blues and jazz on it, as well as classical and everything else.

I mainly bought it because I knew it had a 50mm nut , slightly narrower profile than traditional classicals. What I didn't realize is that it's the same nut width as my Lucero which is a decent guitar as well. So I need to decide which guitar to keep. I'm leaning towards the C5CE. The warmth of the cedar top is noticeable smoother and better for what I play. The spruce on the Lucero is pretty bright, louder, but not as good for me.

The Lucero may be slightly better in build, nice woods and inlays, but the Cordoba also has wood binding and a wood rosette, very nice for what you pay. A US made guitar with real wood inlays and binding would cost 10x so I can't complain.

I played it through a Fender tube amp and was surprised at how good the pickup sounds. The built in EQ preamp allows me to tune in a really good jazzy clean tone. I can dial out most of the "quack" that usually comes with inexpensive acoustic pickups. So I'm very pleased with it for what I paid. Even new I think it'd be a good deal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical