The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-15-2019, 11:42 PM
Guest 728

Stop guitar shopping and put in the work. If having "too much choice" really is the problem, sell one of your awesome guitars and woodshed the crap out of the other one for ten years. Then start looking at a Collings.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:12 AM

You might consider the comfort factor. I have a 512 and while as a flatpicker I don't take it out of the house much these days, I can sit at home on the sofa and play as long as I want with no shoulder pain because of its smaller body size.

(And yes, I know that sinking into a sofa with an arm extended around a guitar isn't recommended by leading orthopedic doctors...)
Old 05-16-2019, 02:57 AM
Charter Member

Jazzguy, if you eally are a "jazz guy" sell the Taylor and buy an Eastman archtop.

Like this :

Here it is compared with two others :
Old 05-16-2019, 03:41 AM

You already have two excellent guitars. The decision as to which to play? Put them on a schedule.
This week only the Taylor gets played. Next week, only the Martin gets played.
You can arrange it anyway that you wish. By the day, the week, etc. Every other day seems workable.

Whatever you decide, be disciplined. Stick to the plan.
You, IMO, are suffering from GAS. It is my thought that if you sell what you have, you will end up regretting your actions.

I think the saying "familiarity breeds contempt" can really apply to owning a guitar, two or 10.

Concentrate on what you can DO with the guitars you have. Try different strings. A new tuning.

I am not sure going for that one great guitar is really the answer. There will always come, a NEW great guitar to go after.

Last edited by Paddy1951; 05-16-2019 at 05:07 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:50 AM

I am probably not the only on to recommend Furch here. They make OO bodies in the vintage (3x) and up from yellow (old 23). their trademark sound is cedar/rosewood.

Furch Blue OM CM
Old 05-16-2019, 04:19 AM

Since you like the guitars you already own (and I'm assuming they are paid for), why would you ever sell them?

I think the answer to your problem is more guitars. Get something that's different than the other two. Someone already mentioned keeping one in a different tuning. That's something I've done as well. Just keep repeating to yourself "more guitars = more playing"...

Finally, I am puzzled by how many folks on this site feel the need to go crazy expensive. Do they ever even try out "cheap" guitars? With modern production techniques there are some really stellar instruments out there for peanuts. I would suggest to the OP that you go to a place with a large selection of guitars and, with an open mind, give the guitars with a modest name on the headstock a try. You might be surprised at what you walk out with.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I would suggest turning off the computer, putting one in the case and enjoying the other. Then, switch.
Yup.....as the song lyric said "love the one you're with"
Old 05-16-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
You already have two excellent guitars. The decision as to which to play? Put them on a schedule.
This week only the Taylor gets played. Next week, only the Martin gets played.
You can arrange it anyway that you wish. By the day, the week, etc. Every other day seems workable.

Whatever you decide, be disciplined. Stick to the plan.
You, IMO, are suffering from GAS. It is my thought that if you sell what you have, you will end up regretting your actions.

I think the saying "familiarity breeds contempt" can really apply to owning a guitar, two or 10.

Concentrate on what you can DO with the guitars you have. Try different strings. A new tuning.

I am not sure going for that one great guitar is really the answer. There will always come, a NEW great guitar to go after.

Hmmm....me thinks you may be right. [emoji4]They really are both exceptional guitars. The Taylor is one of the best sounding Taylor’s I have ever played, articulate but quite warm and lots of bass which is not typically characteristic of Taylor. Plus it has Gotoh 510’s. As far as the 00-18, what’s not to love right? I like this idea of a schedule actually.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Jazzguy, if you eally are a "jazz guy" sell the Taylor and buy an Eastman archtop.

Like this :

Here it is compared with two others :

I actually do see an archtop / semi hollow body in my future. I’ve been looking at this Ibanez for about a year. I want a hard bridge though so go from jazz to blues etc.
IMG_1080.jpg
Old 05-16-2019, 05:59 AM

I think the real joy in having some serious cash to spend on a nice guitar is the search. I'd do enough traveling to play a ton of guitars. Don't be in a hurry. You'll eventually find one you just have to have.

Good stores have talented staff: give them a few parameters so you don't have to play every guitar in the store (although that's not a terrible idea). I reject quite a few after about 20 seconds (less, really), so it's not like it takes 8 hours.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-16-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I think the real joy in having some serious cash to spend on a nice guitar is the search. I'd do enough traveling to play a ton of guitars. Don't be in a hurry. You'll eventually find one you just have to have.

Good stores have talented staff: give them a few parameters so you don't have to play every guitar in the store (although that's not a terrible idea). I reject quite a few after about 20 seconds (less, really), so it's not like it takes 8 hours.

Yep. I too travel and visit stores often. Went to one in Boise and Dallas this week. It is the thrill of the hunt. But to earlier points, I feel it would be foolish and regretful to sell what I have. I appreciate all the helpful feedback.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguy View Post
So I have two wonderful guitars (Taylor 512 and Martin 00-18). I like them both but (and I know this sounds crazy) but seems like I’m playing less because I’m thinking more about which guitar to play then just playing. It’s almost like I have too much choice if that makes since.
Not crazy at all. Or that makes two of us. At one point I had a few very nice guitars. I spent a lot of time going back and forth between them in the same session comparing the sound mostly but also the feel.

Last year I bought my dream acoustic and sold the rest. I don't miss them at all. I may get other acoustics eventually but they will be completely different instruments, like a classical or 12-string or jazz archtop.
Latulippe OM #17(Sinker Cedar/Indian Rosewood)
Latulippe Foxtrot #29 (electric)
Lavoie Modern Archtop #142 (White Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Benoît Raby Étude classical (2013, Spruce, Indian Rosewood)
Old 05-18-2019, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

OP, I wish you luck on your one guitar journey
Every time I seriously consider it I wind up buying a guitar but not selling what I have.
NGD coming next week......LOL.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 05-18-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
Not crazy at all. Or that makes two of us. At one point I had a few very nice guitars. I spent a lot of time going back and forth between them in the same session comparing the sound mostly but also the feel.

Last year I bought my dream acoustic and sold the rest. I don't miss them at all. I may get other acoustics eventually but they will be completely different instruments, like a classical or 12-string or jazz archtop.

I can absolute relate. Like you I find myself distracted by comparing the two vs just playing. Going to try locking one up or alternating week to week.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:30 AM

??? WHAT ??? OO-18 and 512 to go ?? And you like both ?!
Look for a psy !
OK I'm kidding. Let's get at it seriously.
First, a lonely guitar most probably cannot play all repertoires and styles.
Why not try to devote parts of your repertoire to one or another ?
When I grab a guitar from my herd, I have in mind which music style I want to play.
Second, I would get bored with any lonely guitar sound : may be it is just me,
but I like to change and try new sounds whenever I can.
I even played classical music on a banjitar and found it interesting !
Third, if a guitar needs service, you have another to play... provided you had more than one.
Last, my guitars are mostly in the same range as yours :
I would not go higher because I would go crazy should it break or be stolen.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion