The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2019, 09:45 AM

Default Add pickup or buy another guitar ?

Hi all,

I have a Martin D-15M and in the near future will play plugged. Problem is, Martin D-15M doesn't have a pickup.

So I have two options:

1. Buy a LR Baggs Anthem pickup system and install it in the Martin. This would set me back with about $300 for the pickup itself, plus another $100 for the pin reamer, and I have to mess with the guitar during the install.

2. Buy (in this order of preference) a Takamine PTU241C (Spruce + Rosewood), or a Taylor 214CE Black (Spruce + Maple), or another Martin DC Special (Spruce + Ovangkol) all of whom I played and liked at Guitar Center. These are all in the $1,300 - $1,400 range. The biggest challenge with this option is to convince my better half that I truly NEED another acoustic ...

I should mention that there was a used Gibson J-29 for sale there too in the same price ballpark - sounded very nice, the neck profile was awesome but it had no pickup. So I would be back to square one.

Soooo ... what do you think guys ? Will I have any problems with installing that MIC into the D-15M ? Is it worth the effort ? Or better get the Takamine/Taylor/Martin/Gibson+mic ?

Thank you all for your time !
Old 05-14-2019, 09:56 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick1 View Post
Buy a LR Baggs Anthem pickup system and install it in the Martin. This would set me back with about $300 for the pickup itself, plus another $100 for the pin reamer, and I have to mess with the guitar during the install.
Unless you're just looking for a reason to buy a new guitar, I don't see any downside to just installing a pickup in the D-15.

Personally, I'd get a K&K Pure Mini. You can install it yourself in about an hour, including the endpin hole. A hand reamer costs about eight bucks.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Agree with Willie, but you know you're asking the wrong group of folks if you need to buy another guitar.

Love the 15s!
Old 05-14-2019, 10:06 AM

Not easy to find the right guitar AND the right pickup combination that will suit your needs. I always bought my guitars for their acoustic sound and comfort. Most had no electronics, some had fair electronics and many low end guitars with good acoustic properties had bad electronics. So I am used to choose which electronics I actually wanted on board. You save a hundred bucks on a combo, but is it the combo you need ? Probably not !
Old 05-14-2019, 11:49 AM

The first question you have to ask yourself is how much do you like the D15 that you already own? If you like it then find the right pickup for you - the choices are endless. Check the Acoustic Amplification heading and you’ll get plenty of good information on pickups.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 05-14-2019, 11:54 AM

Buy 2 guitars, then you have a better selection to choose from!
Old 05-14-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Unless you're just looking for a reason to buy a new guitar, I don't see any downside to just installing a pickup in the D-15.
I do suffer from GAS ... so in the bottom of my heart I was hoping you guys will say "Noooo, don't do that, it'll ruin the Martin, sky will fall"

Actually I went to the Guitar Center to check out the Martin DC Special which was on sale. It wasn't bad but the bass on this one was overwhelming and muddied the sound when strummed with a little more enthusiasm. Maybe there was something wrong with the guitar on display ... So out of curiosity I picked up the Takamine next to it and ... since then, I kept thinking about it to the point I might go back there today to play it a little more . Sounded certainly different from my D-15, not better, but different - very articulate, felt like middle road between a Martin and a Taylor. The Rosewood fretboard was of high quality (I'd say slightly better than the one on my D-15 ...) and the neck shape felt good. Was tempted by the J-29 too but since it did not have a pickup, buying that would be even harder to justify to my wife

Hmmmm, looks like I am trying to convince myself that I need that guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Agree with Willie, but you know you're asking the wrong group of folks if you need to buy another guitar.
Good to know that I am not the only one suffering from GAS ...
Old 05-14-2019, 12:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Hi all,

I have a Martin D-15M and in the near future will play plugged. Problem is, Martin D-15M doesn't have a pickup.

So I have two options:

1. Buy a LR Baggs Anthem pickup system and install it in the Martin. This would set me back with about $300 for the pickup itself, plus another $100 for the pin reamer, and I have to mess with the guitar during the install.
Soooo ... what do you think guys ? Will I have any problems with installing that MIC into the D-15M ?
Thank you all for your time !
If you like the guitar for its sound and feel then you're ahead of the game, and the Baggs Anthem is a good choice for a couple of reasons.

By the way you do not need to spend $100 on a reamer for the end pin unless you're planning on doing this a lot. You can buy a 1/2" diameter rotary file for a drill, and if you want to be super careful you can chuck it into a pin vise, and have a good time exercising your wrist.

https://www.amazon.com/YUFUTOL-Tungs...ll-spons&psc=1

The good thing about the Baggs system is that even if you install the saddle transducer, you don't have to have it plugged in, and you can add a soundboard transducer to plug into the empty input. I did it on my Flammang, and I blend it with the mic. At the moment I have the saddle transducer completely out as I'd just made a new bone saddle.

The hardest thing is soldering the correct size male plug onto the soundboard transducer, but if you have good eyesight and steady hands you're jake.

Best,
Howard Emerson
Old 05-14-2019, 03:09 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
I do suffer from GAS ... so in the bottom of my heart I was hoping you guys will say "Noooo, don't do that, it'll ruin the Martin, sky will fall"
Nothing wrong with wanting a second guitar!

Quote:
The Rosewood fretboard was of high quality (I'd say slightly better than the one on my D-15 ...
The D-15 probably has a morado fretboard and bridge.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:22 PM

Default Tak PTU241c

I own the Tak PTU241c. It sounds great plugged and unplugged. It is beautifully finished appointed. I’ve been a Martin guy for a long time, but I was captivated by this guitar and had to buy it. It sounds so alive. I tried to research it and couldn’t find it on Takamine’s website. Turns out it’s a Japanese model. Guitar Center must have leveraged the currency exchange rate, bought a bunch of them and shipped them over. If you buy one you won’t be disappointed.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:00 PM

I say do both. If you’re going to play gigs, you will probably need two guitars with pickups, in case you break a string or a battery dies in the middle of a set, or if one of your guitars in being repaired.

If you are not planning to play professionally, it’s just a matter of personal preference and, in that case, a new guitar is always inspiring.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:21 AM

I would also second the K&K Mini. I had one put in my Martin DX1. It's very close to faithfully reproducing the sound for what it is. About 8 years ago, it was $250 bought and installed by an authorized Martin Tech around me.

Personally, you might be able to take it to a good shop and get it done around the same price if not cheaper, as they often can get better deals on the actual pickups than we can.

Also, I found on both my Martins (DX1 and MMV) that I liked the Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze to help tone down that muddy bass you talked about.

Good luck in your search!
Old 05-15-2019, 12:51 PM

Thank you all for taking the time to write and share your thoughts. It was very much appreciated ! I've read every comment and found all of them useful.

Had a Guitar Center voucher which was expiring today so I used it to buy the LR Baggs Anthem at a pretty sweet discount (they did not have K&K). I'm looking forward to install it in my D-15M . I'll probably never part with my D-15M (ehh, maybe for a D-28 when I'll win the lottery ... ) as my D-15 has that glorious Martin bass and ooomphf that I love.

Still, having a backup acoustic guitar with a different voicing is a very appealing thought . So I plan on selling my tele to summon some dough, as it currently gathers dust (bought it unseen/unplayed and not very happy with its sound -> lesson learned).

Right now I am torn between the used Gibson J-29 and new Takamine PTU241C.

The J-29 has a smaller scale (which would come in handy for tired hands), sounds better than the Takamine (more bass and more clarity), and it has solid woods all around. It does have a LR Baggs Element pickup (I was wrong previously - and blind not to see it). Its rosewood fretboard is one of the best I have ever seen. The only downsides are that the first fret under the B strings is a little worn ... and the sound hole smells pretty nasty Wonder how much a refret will cost when the time comes.

The Takamine has solid wood top and back, and laminate sides. Actually I like the thinner (more "D") neck shape more on the Tak - less effort to play certain chords for me compared to J-29. PTU241C must be a special, limited run for Guitar Center exclusively as I can't find any comprehensive description or specs anywhere. So I don't know anything about its internal construction except for the woods. Unfortunately, compared to Gibson J-29, it has less bass presence/overtones and less mid and high-end clarity.

Since both guitars use the same woods, what are the chances that the Tak will "open up" over time and sound the same as the J-29 ?
Old 05-15-2019, 01:06 PM

You could easily add a pickup to your D-18. Ask 10 people which one and you'll get 10 different opinions. I have a '72 D35 and have been contemplating which system...

... But I haven't pulled the trigger on any one, largely because I'm wondering if there would be much of an improvement over what I'm currently using; a Seymour Duncan Woody XL and a L.R. Baggs GigPro (small pack external) preamp.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour...SABEgLkgPD_BwE

The SD Woody XL sounds very natural, surprisingly for a magnetic pickup. The XL version (which is the only one I recommend) has adjustable pole pieces which really helped dial in the string to string balance. I can pop it in in seconds and remove it in seconds with no tools required. The cord does hang on the outside, but I tape it down to the pickguard with black gaffers tape and run it behind the guitar to where the strap and end pin meet. It comes with a 14' cord which I found cumbersome, so I shortened it and added a jack so I can plug in a standard guitar cable. The GigPro preamp gives me basic volume, tone and gain controls. I can hang the preamp on the strap (like you do wireless packs) or the music stand or mic stand for easy access.

I went this route because I had 3 acoustics that had no electrification, but I like to put them in rotation when I play out.

It doesn't need the preamp, but it's nice to have controls at hand. But you can buy it from GC for $70 and test it without the pre-amp for 45 days and return it if you don't like it. You can probably score it for $60. I'll be Sweetwater would even beat that price. The nice thing is that it is held in place by neoprene and no tools are required for installation or de-installation and it doesn't modify your guitar in any way. Is it the best acoustic pickup in the world? I'm sure not. But I'm thinking in my situation where the sound dude doesn't get it right most of the time, why should I spend the extra $$ when the end result may not be any better?

My 2¢ worth
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 05-15-2019, 02:05 PM

I always use a K&K - $99 from Shoreline w/free shipping.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion