The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-09-2019, 04:14 PM
Eric Skye

Default Off NAMM Again In Two Weeks. Anyone Else Going?

Two weeks from today I fly down to Anaheim, California to what I think is either my ninth or tenth NAMM Show. I’ll be hanging out in the Santa Cruz Guitar Company booth all day Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Stop by and say “hi” if you’re at the show.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Absolutely, I will drop by and say hello.
I have been going to NAMM off and on since the early 80's. I use to be a guitar photographer for a few companies. It is a great time to reconnect with old friends and see the latest and greatest.
NAMM is a total assault on the senses. After two or three hours your mind-body has been so bombarded by sound and new equipment that you can become a bit numb. Having an absolute plan...on what to see and hear is a must if you are survive. ha ha.
The best time to listen to Acoustic guitars is within the very first hour of opening. The acoustic section actually opens an hour earlier than the rest of NAMM. Or at least that is how it is usually run. In that hour...you can actually hear the real instrument. After that hour...quite tough as there is so much noise going on.
Look forward to meeting you Eric. Will there be any unusual-rarer Back and sides Santa Cruz Guitars at the show?
Old 01-09-2019, 04:32 PM

Somebody try the new Godin Rialto and post about it. It looks like a neat little 00.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 01-09-2019, 04:35 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
...Look forward to meeting you Eric. Will there be any unusual-rarer Back and sides Santa Cruz Guitars at the show?[/INDENT]
Great. And yes, it's pretty overwhelming. Santa Cruz gives me an exhibitor badge so I can get in early and walk around check out some things before opening. Otherwise is pretty hard to hear anything for real. But I don't know what SCGC is bringing. I'm just an artist. I just sit and play and chat, I don't have any inside scoop on what they will display. But it they never disappoint. That's for sure.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Knives, hey, I might be walking the show. Don't know, just too slammed. Would please PM me here or email me direct at charmedlifepicks @gmail.com. Would love to maybe exchange cell numbers, get SC's booth number etc., and maybe buy you a brew or a cup of joe.

Hope to hear back,
scott
Old 01-09-2019, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

I’ll be there too. My first time.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 01-09-2019, 08:59 PM

I'm supposed to be there but my schedule may be changing next week.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:54 PM

Ive been wanting to go for years cause I live in the LA area, sorta, the Inland Empire. But it seems they wont let people in. If there was a way Id go,see stuff and people.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
You've got some wonderful guitars there. Who needs a wife?

"Take my wife -- please!"
Old 01-09-2019, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Knives, hey, I might be walking the show. Don't know, just too slammed. Would please PM me here or email me direct at charmedlifepicks @gmail.com. Would love to maybe exchange cell numbers, get SC's booth number etc., and maybe buy you a brew or a cup of joe.

Hope to hear back,
scott
Wow! with an offer like that, How can I refuse.
What was that line the three greatest comedians use to use? Oh yeah...Now I remember..." Most Certainly"
Old 01-09-2019, 10:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Wow! with an offer like that, How can I refuse.
What was that line the three greatest comedians use to use? Oh yeah...Now I remember..." Most Certainly"
Well, close, Dude, but you gotta get that inflection right. It's actually (phonetically), "Most SOY-Tin-Lee."

Do drop me a line and tell me what shape and thickness picks you're playing. If I come, I'll bring them by. If not, I'll drop them in the mail to you before the show.

Take Care, Buddy,
Scott
Old 01-09-2019, 11:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Ive been wanting to go for years cause I live in the LA area, sorta, the Inland Empire. But it seems they wont let people in. If there was a way Id go,see stuff and people.

Same here. So close here in LA/IE yet so far. [emoji53]
Old 01-10-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
Chris, Maybe we'll wander pasts each other at some point! I think the last time was at the ASIA show in Nashville... in like 2000???

Harv
Old 01-10-2019, 12:34 AM

Apparently I've been naive about this, but am I reading it right--

NAMM is not open to the general public?
Old 01-10-2019, 01:56 AM

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Absolutely, I will drop by and say hello.
I have been going to NAMM off and on since the early 80's. I use to be a guitar photographer for a few companies. It is a great time to reconnect with old friends and see the latest and greatest.
NAMM is a total assault on the senses. After two or three hours your mind-body has been so bombarded by sound and new equipment that you can become a bit numb. Having an absolute plan...on what to see and hear is a must if you are survive. ha ha.
The best time to listen to Acoustic guitars is within the very first hour of opening. The acoustic section actually opens an hour earlier than the rest of NAMM. Or at least that is how it is usually run. In that hour...you can actually hear the real instrument. After that hour...quite tough as there is so much noise going on.
Look forward to meeting you Eric. Will there be any unusual-rarer Back and sides Santa Cruz Guitars at the show?

I've attended NAMM twice, and know both vendors & demo artists who make the show every year. It's one of the most incredible spectacles on earth, with hordes of celebrities, and "celebrities in waiting"! Everybody who is anybody in the music biz is there! The sheer number of instruments displayed in warehouse sized "halls" is mind boggling, and earsplitting! The DJ equipment, & live sound accessories hall brays the most high tech noises the human ear has ever heard!

The last time, I went as a music store employee. Security was tight. They checked IDs for spelling, & retail numbers, and refused entry for lots of counterfeit passes... I was by myself, so I didn't enjoy it much... The 1st time, I went as a VIP with Taylor's largest OC dealer. Then, we entered through the back door, less than 100 ft from where we were parked! That's the only way I'd go back to NAMM.....

Don

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion