The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-05-2015, 08:06 PM

Default 1945 Epiphone Triumph... tuners ?

Hi, the D tuner on my 1945 Epiphone Triumph is rattling, the plastic has deteriorated enough that i can't get at the screw to adjust or repair it, they operate well, but the rattle is loud.

Does anyone have any idea where to find a replacement for these tuners? Either vintage or even a modern set that would drop into a 40 Epiphone route without new screw holes ?

Old 08-05-2015, 08:30 PM

Archtop.com might have parts or know a source. They spiff up guitars like this all the time.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:31 PM

You might be able to change the buttons only. It would be cheaper and easier. Moreover, the guitar would keep its original hardware, which is preferable when selling the guitar.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:46 PM

I found a set of them on an ebay listing for $695 - "Vintage 1950's Epiphone Sealfast Archtop Tuners Emperor Trimuph Zephyr Regent 59" - one was missing a screw

There was a previous listing for $250.

If you have to replace them you might be able to sell the ones you have, but maybe and archtop tech could stop the rattle. A couple of mine rattle because they are loose and I just turn them.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:17 PM

I'd replace them with a set of period-looking tuners (Waverly, Kluson, Grover Sta-Tite, etc. ) and keep the originals in a bag in the case - doesn't affect the collector/resale value at all (they can always be refitted to the guitar) and it makes it a working instrument rather than a museum piece...
Old 08-09-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I'd replace them with a set of period-looking tuners (Waverly, Kluson, Grover Sta-Tite, etc. ) and keep the originals in a bag in the case - doesn't affect the collector/resale value at all (they can always be refitted to the guitar) and it makes it a working instrument rather than a museum piece...
I haven't found a modern set that matches, I've contacted those suggested websites ( Thanks Guys! ) , and a dozen other well known sites and I keep getting these really blank responses like
"Unfortunately I can't cross reference which tuners would fit this guitar....
We don't have any tuners that look like the ones in your pictures"
"I'm sure they are all over ebay. "
"we don't typically sell parts"
etc

I did see the set someone is trying to get $700 for an incomplete set of tuners on eBay ... which is about what a mid level or lower 1940s Epiphone Archtop goes for ...

I can't really just change the buttons or anything, you can see in the pictures, the tuner plastic gassing out has corroded the screws so they aren't turnable by the heads. I took the guitar in to a reputable repair shop and they said they couldn't fix them, that the plastics & screws would likely crack under the pressure it would take to disassemble them.

I don't know what modern model of Waverly or Kluson or Sta-tite etc would fit without drilling new screw holes etc; but I thought someone might.
Epiphones are uncommon but they aren't so rare that I thought it would be tricky to find a modern replacement set; the way you can for other brands like Gibson etc wawaaa

In the meantime I guess its sort of a traditional african aesthetic like :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVvm94SmMGM
Old 08-10-2015, 02:42 PM

I have a set. Gold plated (I think the Triumph got nickel), complete, all original screws and bushings. Buttons and plating in much better condition than the ones on Ebay or on your guitar. I replaced them on someone's guitar 40 years ago.

Some feel loose; all work. I won't break up the set, but I will give you a price that is half of that incomplete set on Ebay. PM me if interested.

If I were you I'd try to fix the rattle. Have you located the part that is rattling? I agree that you should not touch the screw on the button.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 08-10-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:31 PM

thanks Howard, I'd seen yours online too, but with 2 of those tuners being loose (already my problem) and the color being mismatched it wouldn't allow me to either replace the one tuner I need replaced or replace all of them with that set.
square one :/
Old 08-12-2015, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Try Stewart Macdonald

Their site has precise measurements of the tuners. Do you have a micrometer ?
Old 08-13-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaik View Post
thanks Howard, I'd seen yours online too, but with 2 of those tuners being loose (already my problem) and the color being mismatched it wouldn't allow me to either replace the one tuner I need replaced or replace all of them with that set.
square one :/
Understood.

But you have not seen mine online. They have never been there.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Understood.

But you have not seen mine online. They have never been there.
oh strange, there was a set exactly as you describe ; gold plated with 2 of the tuners being loose, that just closed on eBay.

I'd probably take one that was gold and live with the mismatch , but buying a whole set just to mismatch seems wacky.

thanks again everyone ! still looking. this might take awhile

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops