The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-25-2015, 11:15 AM

Wow! Very striking! Ray is a wonderful luthier. The anticipation must be peaking.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 02-25-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
Wow! Very striking! Ray is a wonderful luthier. The anticipation must be peaking.
Bill-

It's been an interesting ride. I actually commissioned and paid for this guitar in late 2010/early 2011. Along the way there have been more ups and downs than I'd ever wish upon anyone. By last year, I'd really sort of gotten over the whole guitar, what with all those ups and downs... I'd just gotten emotionally worn out and wanted to be done with the thing. I even stopped playing guitar for a long while, partly because of all the upheaval of this build and some other things related to my guitar world.

In the last few weeks, though, I've found that most of the history of this guitar has begun to slip away for me... and that's a good thing. Now I'm hopeful that a really great guitar might be headed my way. To a large degree, I'm excited and hopeful without the emotional attachment, and given what's come before, I think that's a really good place for me to be.

I talked with Ray a bit yesterday about setup. We'll see... I know he really likes the guitar, and I hope I do, too. I know I have options in the event that I don't, but best case would be this thing comes and I really enjoy playing it.

These commissions are strange... you get really wrapped up in them, and as a friend of mine said to me, it's really hard to not raise the expectations way beyond anything reasonable. Add to that the bumps (and wrecks) along the way of this one? Man.

I'm not sure if I'm done with commissions or not. I think the next guitar I purchase won't be a commission, although it will almost certainly be an individual luthier-built guitar. The commission road, though, just wears me out.

All that to say that I'm fortunate to be near the end of this road, and I am glad Ray is excited about this guitar. I'm hoping I see it next week.

-B

CF MARTIN 1930 OM-18 - Mahogany/Adirondack
GIBSON 2018 Memphis Limited 1963 ES-335 - Maple/Maple
MCCONNELL 2021 Electric Semi-Hollow - Wenge/Sitka

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 02-25-2015, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Really a beautiful set of woods on this one. Hope that you love the guitar, Brett, and that it reignites your passion to play. Looking forward to seeing and hearing the end result and your report...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 02-25-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
Bill-

It's been an interesting ride. I actually commissioned and paid for this guitar in late 2010/early 2011. Along the way there have been more ups and downs than I'd ever wish upon anyone. By last year, I'd really sort of gotten over the whole guitar, what with all those ups and downs... I'd just gotten emotionally worn out and wanted to be done with the thing. I even stopped playing guitar for a long while, partly because of all the upheaval of this build and some other things related to my guitar world.

In the last few weeks, though, I've found that most of the history of this guitar has begun to slip away for me... and that's a good thing. Now I'm hopeful that a really great guitar might be headed my way. To a large degree, I'm excited and hopeful without the emotional attachment, and given what's come before, I think that's a really good place for me to be.

I talked with Ray a bit yesterday about setup. We'll see... I know he really likes the guitar, and I hope I do, too. I know I have options in the event that I don't, but best case would be this thing comes and I really enjoy playing it.

These commissions are strange... you get really wrapped up in them, and as a friend of mine said to me, it's really hard to not raise the expectations way beyond anything reasonable. Add to that the bumps (and wrecks) along the way of this one? Man.

I'm not sure if I'm done with commissions or not. I think the next guitar I purchase won't be a commission, although it will almost certainly be an individual luthier-built guitar. The commission road, though, just wears me out.

All that to say that I'm fortunate to be near the end of this road, and I am glad Ray is excited about this guitar. I'm hoping I see it next week.

-B
I think what you are going to get is a definitive Kraut because you let him loose and that's the way I will do it in future if I have another one made by someone, apart from body style and setup measurements.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky View Post
I think what you are going to get is a definitive Kraut because you let him loose and that's the way I will do it in future if I have another one made by someone, apart from body style and setup measurements.
That's definitely my hope! Love it, like it, or hate it, I think I'll be evaluating Ray's "best" guitar, so that's good.

-B

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 03-02-2015, 09:51 AM

Here are some more pics as this build comes to its close.

These are all of the rosette pre-finish.

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 03-08-2015, 05:51 PM

Default Post Finish

We shall see how this thing turns out, after (literally) nearly 4 years.

-Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 03-08-2015, 08:09 PM

Man, Ray's work is so precise and clean! I was just at Ervin's voicing course and was talking to him about Ray. He said that Ray was a perfectionist to the most minute details, so much that if he were building a jig, he would lay out the screw spacing with a scale. I applaud such craftsmanship.

Congratulations on your build and I hope you find yourself very satisfied!
Old 03-08-2015, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

That is a delicious looking back. If wood can be called delicious 😜.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:49 PM

Exquisite work and aesthetic. I think he's quite japanese in his design sense.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky View Post
Exquisite work and aesthetic. I think he's quite japanese in his design sense.
I agree. I know that lots of folks feel like he borrows heavily from Matsuda. While I do think it would be insane to say that he isn't influenced by Michi, I do feel he has carved (yuk yuk) his own niche in this design space.

His rosettes and stylings seems way less "me too" than much of what I see from some. In my mind, Matsuda is clearly at the forefront of innovative visual design, and I see folks like Ray Kraut and Simon Fay in the upper echelon as well.

Just my opinion, but I've always got plenty of those.

-Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 03-09-2015, 10:31 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Just wonderful spruce and rosette. I hope it knocks your socks off.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:37 AM

I hate to break it to you, Brett, but you will not be getting Ray's best guitar to come from his work bench...I already have it ...and absolutely gorgeous quilted birds-eye maple/spruce OO with a slot head...with sound big enough you think it's an MD but balanced so well you think it's an OM...but, your guitar is absolutely beautiful and I'm sure you'll love it!
Old 03-09-2015, 11:46 AM

More from Ray's bench.

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 03-09-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Just wonderful spruce and rosette. I hope it knocks your socks off.
Quote:
I hate to break it to you, Brett, but you will not be getting Ray's best guitar to come from his work bench...I already have it ...and absolutely gorgeous quilted birds-eye maple/spruce OO with a slot head...with sound big enough you think it's an MD but balanced so well you think it's an OM...but, your guitar is absolutely beautiful and I'm sure you'll love it!
Thanks guys. It will be interesting... how and what I play has changed an awful lot in the 4 years since I actually commissioned this guitar, but I remain hopeful.

I'm also happy knowing that if it doesn't suit where I am right now, it will almost certainly go to some lucky AGF-er who has been eyeing Ray's work and watches the Classifieds. I'm by no means saying that's a foregone conclusion! I just have some comfort in knowing this is a fantastic representation of Ray's work, and whether it's me or someone else, this is a beautiful guitar that has his sound.

Time will tell!

-B

[SoundCloud | YouTube]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop