The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-17-2014, 05:44 PM

Default "new" archtop coming in

Taking a bit of a chance, I've picked up a 1935 Orpheum A Imperator on eBay. Research indicates that it's solid maple body and spruce top, carved. No cracks, straight neck. According to one source, frets are bar frets, which should make for a very stable neck. We'll see how it goes. Regardless, I'm sure it'll be an improvement over my Harmony-made 1931 Supertone archtop.
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Aaron Garcia Ruiz classical
Old 03-18-2014, 07:43 PM

If its the one in recently completed listings on ebay it looks VERY nice to me. Good choice!!
Old 03-19-2014, 10:43 AM

Yes, that's the one. I did a fair amount of research before buying. There is quite alot of confusion surrounding Orpheum, but I've concluded that this guitar was probably made by Regal in the same shop where they produced their better archtops, as well as guitars under the Stewart label and for Bacon and others. When I have a chance, I will look at Bob Carlin's history of the Regal company and hopefully find a more definitive answer.

Anyway, it should arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Nick
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Old 03-19-2014, 12:56 PM

It looked like the back is carved from nicely figured wood. Hope you'll let us know.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:15 PM

The guitar arrived and is on its way back to the seller. Turns out the back is plywood. Still, it was a nice guitar, which I would have kept had the first few frets not been severely shaved on the treble side. The seller had said that the frets were high and could even be lowered for better action. That was true only of the frets further up the neck and the bass side of the first frets. I will probably avoid all future non-dealer auctions involving vintage instruments.
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Old 03-21-2014, 12:51 PM

Sorry it didn't work out for you! At least you got to return it so you're not out too much, but it's still a big hassle.

Live and learn, I guess. I've always been a big risk taker when it comes to buying instruments sight-unseen, but it is scarier with vintage instruments.

So, what's next?
Old 03-21-2014, 05:46 PM

Next will probably an Eastman or Peerless ... Less to worry about. I would go for another 1930s archtop if I could find one locally.
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Old 03-22-2014, 05:35 PM

I'm sorry that it didn't work out too. Was the top solid? and how was the tone?
Old 03-23-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StixDweller View Post
I'm sorry that it didn't work out too. Was the top solid? and how was the tone?
The top was almost certainly solid. During shipping a portion of the back had come loose, which reduced volume and tone, but I could hear the potential in the guitar, particularly when I listened to it being played by my daughter. Though the response was heavily weighted to mid-frequencies, it had a sweeter tone than any laminate or birch archtop that I have heard, which I would attribute to a solid spruce top. I suspect that the response would be fuller, with more bass, after the back is reglued. It also had a really beautiful rosewood fretboard that had the appearance of old Brazilian. If I wasn't looking at the prospect of a $200 to $400 fret job, in addition to regluing of the back and binding, I would have kept it.
Jonathan Vacanti archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops