The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-28-2013, 02:49 PM

Don't be sorry you posted the link. It's no big deal.

I think that Kamlapati and I are objecting to the fact that he's playing the Collings in a manner that doesn't suit it. Now if it belonged to him, and he chose to play that kind of music with that technique on it, then more power to him. But it seems that the video was done to demonstrate the guitar, and he did that poorly.

I have a really nice handmade flamenco (nylon) guitar. I could post a video of me thrashing at it with a pick, playing the Kinks' "You Really Got Me." Now that's a cool song, and picks are fine, but would you do that on a flamenco guitar?

I'll leave it at that.

I'd love to try a Collings any day. And I'm happy to listen to clips and view videos. This is a new forum (yippee!) so some of us are getting to know one another... I'm easy going and I love lots of music. No snobbery or small-mindedness here, I promise.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:43 PM

the 16" archies are way cooler imo, I am not exactly a jazz player though I can play some swing pieces, here is a clip of me on my Collings https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

here's another with a stiffer pick: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater

here's another one: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater

sound only, jamming a bit of CJ (this really gives the impression of the tone of the guitar): https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater

Last edited by RobertForman; 08-28-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 08-28-2013, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

If it were an at16 it would be gone. I'm just not sure I'd play a 17". I love the 16.

Matt also has a cowboy that belongs to John Sebastian on consignment too.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:56 PM

yeah, for sure 16" > 17" ; cooler looking, more versatile.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:50 PM

Yea.. but an 18" has this big full sound that is unlike anything else.

I suspect this 18" also had the wrong strings on it. I remember seeing a rocker wail away on a 19-twenty-something L5 and it was remarkable how well the guitar responded. Not so much in this case and I was left feeling the guitar was not only being played without a full appreciation of it's virtues, but was not set up properly.

If someone popped up with an 18" Collings for $12K I would have a serious GAS problem.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Yea.. but an 18" has this big full sound that is unlike anything else.

I suspect this 18" also had the wrong strings on it. I remember seeing a rocker wail away on a 19-twenty-something L5 and it was remarkable how well the guitar responded. Not so much in this case and I was left feeling the guitar was not only being played without a full appreciation of it's virtues, but was not set up properly.

If someone popped up with an 18" Collings for $12K I would have a serious GAS problem.
High Desert in Santa Fe had one for years. That's the one I played, several times. Doesn't beat my 16" ; don't know whatever happened to that particular guitar.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:31 PM

Hard to tell what all High Desert has in stock. It's only an hour away so you would think I would make it up there once in awhile. Are you in NM Robert?
Old 08-29-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Hard to tell what all High Desert has in stock. It's only an hour away so you would think I would make it up there once in awhile. Are you in NM Robert?
I was living in Santa Fe, but moved back to Phoenix about four years ago. We still make it out there a few times a year.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:07 AM

I don't think you could tell if the Collings AT 18 had a good sound because the recording was horrible! They probably used a smartphone to record it!

jebsong
Old 01-01-2014, 07:50 AM

What are the depths of these guitars? I went to the Collings site and it was not shown in the specs for any of the models.

http://www.collingsguitars.com/archtops.html

Interesting these guitars come with .13's. Fast action on a guitar strung with .13's?

Impressive.

No way I will ever put .13's on any of my guitars - especially my arch-top. It's quite loud with .10's.

Beautiful instruments. But there is no way I would be in the market for one.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louparte View Post
What are the depths of these guitars? I went to the Collings site and it was not shown in the specs for any of the models.

http://www.collingsguitars.com/archtops.html

Interesting these guitars come with .13's. Fast action on a guitar strung with .13's?

Impressive.

No way I will ever put .13's on any of my guitars - especially my arch-top. It's quite loud with .10's.

Beautiful instruments. But there is no way I would be in the market for one.
Don't know the depth exactly, but I believe they are just under 3 inches.

A good archtop will have the geometry that enables it to play with a fast action with .13's. I need at least .12's on an archtop. Anything less (again, to me) sounds twangy and feels too loose.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:47 PM

In spite of the abusive paying, the guitar sold.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:13 PM

$12,000.00 for a Collings! too much,I would think there are many other builder`s out there that can give you a handmade archtop for less money, and sound as good..IMO
Old 02-28-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakman View Post
$12,000.00 for a Collings! too much,I would think there are many other builder`s out there that can give you a handmade archtop for less money, and sound as good..IMO
Then don't try playing a Collings, it may just change your mind!

I'm not saying by any stretch of the imagination that there are not other guitars out there that sound as good or even better to some ears, I'm sure there certainly are. But, my Collings archtop is by far and away my favorite archtop that I've ever owned, and I've others by Benedetto, Gibson, Bourgeois, Thorell, Eastman, Martin, and a few others. And I've played guitars from many others as well.

I don't believe Bill's prices are out of line when you consider the prices that many of the top tier luthiers command. Buscarino, Benedetto, and Ribbecke all come to mind. A new Benedetto Manhattan sells for roughly $20K, and is typically no longer made by Mr. Benedetto. $12K for a hand carved instrument made by the hands of Mr. Collings himself isn't out of line.

Ultimately, it comes down to what speaks to you and moves you. My Collings moves me like no other archtop I've ever played has. I feel lucky in that I got a good deal on it used, but I would've payed more if I had to. It's worth it to me.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:57 PM

**** Ben,I have never played a Collings,forgot you had one,does Bill Collings build that AT16 himself??Kayakman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops