The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-03-2012, 06:23 AM

Default Questions to ask when selecting a Luthier for custom build

Hola,

This is my first post to the Custom Shop section of AGF, but I have been reading here daily for the last several months. I am pretty excited about deciding to commission a custom build in 2013.

I have defined pretty well my own specs, preferences, and budget. I have already started contacting luthiers and asking for initial quotes based on my preferences.

My Question: As for the final selection of luthier, what questions would you ask in deciding who to work with? Ask for references, obviously... ask how many years in luthiery and how many guitars built... What else do you think is important to know?

One key qualification for me: In support of this community and all I have learned here, the luthier must be an AGF sponsor.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:30 AM

Depending on the wait list time, "How old are you and how are you feeling?"
Old 12-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Here are a few...

I would ask open questions about how often they communicate with their clients.

I would ask about wait time, how many builds they currently have in the cue, if they are currently behind.

Are they willing to provide some pictures of the build in progress?

Ask for references from clients, then follow up and contact those clients and ask questions about their experience.

I hope all goes well with your commission and you find the process satisfying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Hola,

This is my first post to the Custom Shop section of AGF, but I have been reading here daily for the last several months. I am pretty excited about deciding to commission a custom build in 2013.

I have defined pretty well my own specs, preferences, and budget. I have already started contacting luthiers and asking for initial quotes based on my preferences.

My Question: As for the final selection of luthier, what questions would you ask in deciding who to work with? Ask for references, obviously... ask how many years in luthiery and how many guitars built... What else do you think is important to know?

One key qualification for me: In support of this community and all I have learned here, the luthier must be an AGF sponsor.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
That's funny as hell.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

I like to find out what the luthier typically builds, and how close their 'standard' build is to what I'd want. For example, some builders seem to primarily build what 'they' are trying to achieve (certain tone, certain playing style, etc) while other seem to be more of a 'service' builder (tailor their design to meet customer needs). I'm not saying either is better, but if you know what the builder normally does you can decide if that matches your needs. I'd suggest staying within the builder's norm. Also, while many builders will offer options get you what you want, options are usually more expensive than a standard model that happens to already have what you want.

As others have stated, find out what is normal for the luthier in terms of communications and delivery schedule (stated and actual). Getting overly frustrated takes the fun out of the process.

Get a sense of how committed the builder is to his luthier business. 'Newer' builders may seem to provide a high value (cost vs. deliverable) but will they stay in business if/when times get tougher for them?

To me it seems that newer builders have much available to them (tools, information, schools, workshops, shows, 3rd party finishers, etc), and they seem to quickly produces guitars that are visually very very nice. However, I wonder if these skills sometimes advance quicker than being able to get/control the desired playability and tone. I guess what I'm saying is don't overlook experience.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Harry, yer killin' me

Great tips guys, some things I had not considered. This whole process is going to be exciting for me, and I am very patient... in the meantime, I have nice guitars to play.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Humanist

"Where and how can I *hear* one of your guitars?"
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
However, I wonder if these skills sometimes advance quicker than being able to get/control the desired playability and tone. I guess what I'm saying is don't overlook experience.
Chuck, you hit the nail on the head with this statement. The luthier's experience and ability to successfully produce an instrument that has both the tonal characteristics and playability features that the customer has hopefully expressed accurately, are the two most important factors in the customer's ultimate satisfaction. There is no substitute for experience with most things in life, and building great acoustic guitars is certainly no exception to this rule.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
or better yet, where and how can I play one of your guitars

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Can you share in what you might be looking for?

You might want to establish your budget and ask if they can build what you want within that budget (if it isn't clearly posted on their website). Some might be more flexible than others. There's been some question as to whether you should haggle or not. I'm in the camp of asking if there's any room in the price, as long as it is done respectfully.

I believe that no matter what questions you ask as you go through the process, take note of the quality of the communication. Is the builder asnwering cheerfully no matter how often you ask a question or rephrase it? Are they good at explaining answers in terms that you understand? Are you bonding in some way?

I went through this process and found that Joel Stehr and I got along very well, and he never runs out of patience, no matter how undecided I can be, or what questions I ask about woods and other features, etc. Our communication is funny and informative, and our styles work together. We worked out a budget and the start of a plan, and as I get thoughts, I e-mail them. He responds quickly even though I am about a year away from my build. I'm sure it will lead to a fantastic result.

There are many here, though, who fit that description. I think it's great that you want to support those who support the AGF!

Find a builder who's style is a good fit for your own. If you mesh personally from the outset, you'll have an overall better experience.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-03-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Sometimes the truth makes you spit on your computer screen!
Old 12-03-2012, 12:22 PM

Larry got it right. I also agree to find a builder who builds in the area that most suits you in the first place. If you are a bluegrass player you might not want to be asking someone who makes guitars for finger style players for a build, not that they couldn't do it...I'm just sayin'

I played a lot of custom guitars before I decided who I would want (and could afford)...along with how just how easy and fun they might be to work with. So far I'm batting 1000.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 AM

Aside from questions you should ask, I think the most important thing to do is to go and play guitars from the builders who are in your price range. As has been stated previously, you would not want Somogyi to build you a bluegrass cannon. I am sure he could do it, but that is not his specialty. Likewise, you would not ask Wayne Henderson to build you a finger style guitar that is sensitive to butterfly farts.
Once you have narrowed down the list of people who build what you like and that are in your price range, you will have a much shorter list of people to choose from. Cut out people whose lead time is too long, the list gets shorter still. Once you have zeroed in on your luthier, especially since you are planning to use a forum sponsor, the best advice I can give you is to trust him. Beyond the basic choices of back, side, top woods, and appointments, let them do their thing. That is why you picked them! Would you stand over Harvey Leach's shoulder and tell him how to cut out an inlay? Would you try to grab the chisel from Howard Klepper, Bruce Sexauer, Chris Ensor, etc and shave the braces? Nope. So once you have voiced your desires for what the guitar should be, the designs, style, woods, etc picked out, ask for pics, updates, etc, but don't try to grab the wheel in the middle of the race.
You know what I mean?
Old 12-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
or better yet, where and how can I play one of your guitars
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Larry got it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_in_NYC View Post
I think the most important thing to do is to go and play guitars from the builders who are in your price range.
Just about the time I was thinking it was time to trade my car in on something newer, I saw a BMW 7 Series and fell in love with the looks. So, I rushed down to my local dealer sure I was going to purchase a 7. One 15 minute test drive later, I decided that BMW was not the car for me. It just did not fit me and my driving style.

Now, does this mean the BMW 7 is not a good car, of course not, it is a wonderfull car. It means it is not a good car for me. Same goes for guitars.

Steve
Old 12-04-2012, 02:18 PM

All good advice guys, especially "Try Before You Buy". My situation is very difficult in that I live far down in Mexico. I just don't know how I can practically try instruments by any custom builder. There is an advantage to this: If I have to buy without trying, it opens up the entire world of luthiers to consideration.

It is vexing and that is why I am asking here on AGF, but maybe I am asking the wrong question. Perhaps (as suggested above) I should list my essential requirements and ask for a recommendation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop