The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDreams View Post
It looks like James might have accidentally put that O on the wrong side of the headstock.

In all seriousness its a beautiful dreadnought!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 12-01-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
It helps you know where you are going when you know where you have been. Stellar work period!
Old 12-04-2011, 11:25 AM

As I look through this thread, does anyone else here feel really poor?

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 12-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Yes, poor, indeed.

At 15-20k plus for some of these axes, I am quite jealous.

I'd love me an Olson cutaway dread, too.

It's a good thing James isn't taking orders anymore. Now I can keep my life savings in the bank. I might be able to buy a couple olsons, but then I'd be broke.

Not sure which way I'd be happier
Old 12-05-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
Yes, poor, indeed.

At 15-20k plus for some of these axes, I am quite jealous.

I'd love me an Olson cutaway dread, too.

It's a good thing James isn't taking orders anymore. Now I can keep my life savings in the bank. I might be able to buy a couple olsons, but then I'd be broke.

Not sure which way I'd be happier
Good thing for used guitars! There always seems to be a few for sale out there.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:41 PM

Lovin' the Tiger Myrtle!!
To me, they are works of art for sure, but no way I could justify spending that much on a guitar......... that I would no doubt eventually 'ding' ..lol

Beautiful work.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:32 PM

Impressive as usual! Loving my Olsons still!
Old 12-13-2011, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fngrstyl View Post
As I look through this thread, does anyone else here feel really poor?
your mileage may vary. this dude is pretty lucky to have this much cash to burn, no doubt.

for me, unless its a vintage guitar, i just can't justify the thought of getting a new guitar for 15-20k a pop. i gig, played for years, enjoy making music, even toured. getting something like an olson, new, off the bench, is a jump i just can't do just yet. even if i had the cash burning a hole in my bank, knowing that music can be played and composed equally as well on other instruments, kinda makes the jump even tougher to do. while i have tried playing an olson, its a tough call for me. other folks, not so much maybe.

im curious, these gonna get played live? used for recording? in my experience, multiple orders of instruments are either going into a closet for someone's collection or its going to go get played somewhere.

Last edited by sehnsucht77; 12-13-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:59 AM

Default Tiger dread and the Brazilian jumbo

Note, two are for one person (Keith) and the other is for his band mate. One of the two replaces an SJ that was sold to someone who had to have it right away.

The answer is played live for the Tiger dread and the Brazilian jumbo. The jumbo owner leads the church praise band and has been used every Sunday since it arrived. The owner of the Tiger dread also owns a Brazilian dread (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ighlight=olson) and he, along with the owner of the jumbo who also plays in the band Mo' Gravy (www.mogravyband.com), will regularly use both dreads, and his band mate will use his Brazilian jumbo, in their gigs which are pretty regular. Yes it seems strange to gig with expensive guitars, but they did not buy them to sit in a closet. The Brazilian SJ will be used on occasion for more low key gigs.

So hopefully that can give you rest that these are instruments that were bought to be played not displayed.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby b View Post
Lovin' the Tiger Myrtle!!
To me, they are works of art for sure, but no way I could justify spending that much on a guitar......... that I would no doubt eventually 'ding' ..lol

Beautiful work.
its the dings that give the guitars character, i think, otherwise they're just conversation or show pieces that get babied a ton. nothing wrong with that but, to me, a guitar with a story is kinda interesting than something that sits in a case to be strummed now and then. i don't think i would have started playing if i wasn't drawn to the music, the particular guitars that were used and the stories behind my favorite songs.

i took in a couple of my guitars in for a periodic setup to my tech and he asked if i wanted to have the finish touched up, i said,"hell no. those guitars have been places. they've played music and started having stories associated with them. i want it to show."

Last edited by sehnsucht77; 12-13-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Note, two are for one person (Keith) and the other is for his band mate. One of the two replaces an SJ that was sold to someone who had to have it right away.

The answer is played live for the Tiger dread and the Brazilian jumbo. The jumbo owner leads the church praise band and has been used every Sunday since it arrived. The owner of the Tiger dread also owns a Brazilian dread (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ighlight=olson) and he, along with the owner of the jumbo who also plays in the band Mo' Gravy (www.mogravyband.com), will regularly use both dreads, and his band mate will use his Brazilian jumbo, in their gigs which are pretty regular. Yes it seems strange to gig with expensive guitars, but they did not buy them to sit in a closet. The Brazilian SJ will be used on occasion for more low key gigs.

So hopefully that can give you rest that these are instruments that were bought to be played not displayed.
nothing wrong with gigging with expensive guitars. "whatever floats your boat," is what i always say. i figure if people are going to be playing, might as well enjoy what suits your fancy -cheap or expensive
Old 12-13-2011, 07:35 AM

Default your mileage may vary.

First of all, the expression money to burn doesn't seem appropriate since you don't even know this individual.

One might look at it from two perspectives.... the long term investment potential of an Olson in my opinion and in many others opinions, is solid considering James Olson is one of the top builders and the fact he won't be building guitars forever. There are but a handful of hand built guitars that holds their values very well in the second hand market and Olsons are one of them (there are others). Secondly, in the mean time, you get to play an exceptional instrument. So one might argue that the big picture long term perspective is solid with an Olson considering all factors, probably far more solid than most instrument purchases.

To each his own....it is America and having the freedom to allocate the dollars you work hard for, is part of that choice. And by the way, the owners of these Olsons are as hard working, came from nothing, started with nothing, and willing to sacrifice as anyone I have met. Most people don't get lucky, they make their luck.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
First of all, the expression money to burn doesn't seem appropriate since you don't even know this individual.
Most people don't get lucky, they make their luck.
very true. my apologies. seems i touched a nerve (yikes). didn't mean to knock your boys.

all 3 guitars are going to people you know? i was under the impression they were yours because you were posting all the pics. my oversight, i guess.

Last edited by sehnsucht77; 12-13-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:

One might look at it from two perspectives.... the long term investment potential of an Olson in my opinion and in many others opinions, is solid considering James Olson is one of the top builders and the fact he won't be building guitars forever. There are but a handful of hand built guitars that holds their values very well in the second hand market and Olsons are one of them (there are others). Secondly, in the mean time, you get to play an exceptional instrument. So one might argue that the big picture long term perspective is solid with an Olson considering all factors, probably far more solid than most instrument purchases.

To each his own....it is America and having the freedom to allocate the dollars you work hard for, is part of that choice. And by the way, the owners of these Olsons are as hard working, came from nothing, started with nothing, and willing to sacrifice as anyone I have met. Most people don't get lucky, they make their luck.
I agree with every word. People have no idea of other people's lives when posting on this forum and respect for each other costs nothing. A green eyed monster seems to pop up regularly with Keith and his Olsons. Life is too short.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redpick View Post
I agree with every word. People have no idea of other people's lives when posting on this forum and respect for each other costs nothing. A green eyed monster seems to pop up regularly with Keith and his Olsons. Life is too short.
Pretty much says it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop