The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-02-2019, 04:06 AM

Default A curious listing

I spotted this listing on TradeMe (New Zealand's ebay) this morning. You rarely see anything of this vintage on the site and the Stauffer(?) style headstock caught my eye.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-inst...2041557460.htm

The label is Greek and the guitar appears identical to the Demetrius Mourtzinos parlour in this video. I don't know anything about this builder and Google doesn't have much to say, but the guitar does seem to be in good condition for its age. The seller has a couple of other similar instruments for sale.

The other thing that caught my attention was the seller's rather terse description:

ANTIQUE INLAID PARLOR GUITAR 1890
Purchased at Bonham;s London

Talk is cheap.
Bids will only buy this very rare Guitar.
Only one in New Zealand.

Not the most engaging sales pitch I've ever seen. Every so often I come across sellers who seem to be strangely reluctant to provide any detail about the guitars they're supposedly trying to sell. They're often rather curt when it comes to answering questions too. I find it baffling.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:10 AM
Charter Member

And a bit of a road trip for you to pick up if you buy it too.

A very strange and off-putting advertisement - I would also be concerned that there is no comment on condition or structural issues, plus the fact that it was purchased from a general auction house rather than a guitar dealer would make me nervous as to its playability.

But it looks really cool!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion