The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-29-2010, 09:27 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbetta View Post
"Unfortunately" those are all studio tracks.

Most of the nylon ones (from the album Genteel) were recorded with two small dia. condensors (sorry, can't remember make/model, but my engineer borrowed them for the sessions and he was really excited about them), approximately 6' high and 7-8' away from the guitar in a performance space (SF Conservatory's Osher Salon). That's it, with some minimal eq, no reverb/funkification added.

Live I run the Dyn-g through a Headway EDB-1 (using an impedance transformer xlr->TS), sometimes mixing a condensor in on channel two. If it's a simple gig I plug straight into the Schertler Unico.

Hope this still helps!

gf
Thanks gf.

It always helps even if I can pickup just a little something. Now I need to be patient and wait for a used Dyn-G to show up on the auction site (hopefully ending around 4 am). As of yet, I haven't seen too many.

Meanwhile, I'll keep on with my SM57's.

"If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else." -----Yogi Berra
Old 04-06-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Live I run the Dyn-g through a Headway EDB-1 (using an impedance transformer xlr->TS), sometimes mixing a condensor in on channel two. If it's a simple gig I plug straight into the Schertler Unico.
Hi, I just wanted to jump in and ask about that impedance transformer: what happens without it ? Is it a question of level or tone ?

Cheers, 2k2k
Old 04-06-2010, 03:13 PM

The Dyn-G is rated at 1.5 kOhm; the XLR in on the Headway is 2.1 kOhm or something like that. I found the tone to be fuller/fatter once I plugged the impedance-transformed signal into the other input, which can be switched between 1, 5, and 10 MOhm.

The sound going straight to the XLR isn't bad, but using Channel 1 (Hi-Z) for the Dyn-G offers the added benefit of blending in another condensor microphone through Ch. 2 if I want to.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical