The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-21-2003, 03:05 PM

While trying to understand Taylor Poor's chord construction post, I used the two sites below to help with it. They helped me piece together an entry level understanding of all those 3s, 5s and 1s he was talking about. Thought I would post the sites since they helped me out.

The light bulb isn't on yet but at least the wiring is being laid out....

http://www.chordfind.com/

http://www.guitartrader.com/free-guitar-keys.html
Old 01-21-2003, 06:17 PM

I just looked at that second site and realized my mind was out of RAM.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:10 PM

Just curious,

My instructor has starting working with me on learning the major scales. We are playing these in one location but then moving up the fretboard.

Isn't this a better way to memorize the fretboard because you also learn scales and what notes are in certain keys?
Old 01-21-2003, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by anothersmith
I just looked at that second site and realized my mind was out of RAM.
Talking about a mind out of RAM, that's me. I got off the phone about an hour ago with a buddy of mine that started back playing the bass. As a child he learned to play the piano and has a good mind for music..... in a linear way. I guess that's the best way to put it because he understands all the notes laid out in order from left to right. We got into a conversation about how he can see music on a keyboard but he cannot relate what he learned as a child to the fretboard. He's having a tuff time relating the left to right of the keyboard to the left to right, up and down, of the bass. Between his talk about all the black keys on a piano and trying to relate them to the fret markers on the bass, and all the sharps in a certain key... I tried to help but it depleted my mind of RAM. I had very little mind RAM to offer to begin with.

Old 01-22-2003, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by taygull
Just curious,

My instructor has starting working with me on learning the major scales. We are playing these in one location but then moving up the fretboard.

Isn't this a better way to memorize the fretboard because you also learn scales and what notes are in certain keys?
Taygull, the way your instructor has you going about it sounds great, IMO. I'm self taught and trying to take my learning / skills to another level by finding what works for me. What works for me right now is starting at the very basic and adding a little at a time. I'm hard headed!!! Thankfully, this thread has helped me alot in how I look at things and realizing which direction I need to go in.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:51 AM

Hank,

Good luck. I really trust my instructor, but as a former instructor (golf) I always look for others to bring new ideas. I sent him the post on the #s memorization that was posted earlier. One good thing about my instructor he is always open to learning something in a different way. He agree we are all different and somethings work for some and not for others.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:04 PM

I am also fond of the 'caged' concept. These are forms with bar cording for example.

If you play a bar 'C' form in the first position, you play an bar 'A' in the 3rd position, a bar 'G' in the next 3rd position, a bar 'E' in the next third position, a bar 'D' in the next position,

These will all be the same note, and work from any position, Say you are playing a bar 'E' on the fifth fret, this, of course is an 'A'. Now, jump three frets and play a bar 'D'. Still an 'A', now jump three steps and play a 'C' form barred, still an 'A'

C A G E D , I use it all the time.
Les Paul

<>< 1 Cor 10:31
Old 01-26-2003, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jamesh
I
C A G E D , I use it all the time.
I ran across something about that on the internet but it involved a set of lessons to buy. I'll have to look into that again. Preferably free info since I am not buying anything else till I utilize the material I already have. This weekend was supposed to be a "hit the books" weekend but I have done everything but that.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:15 AM

Actually there is nothing to learn. Just apply. Think of the cords you play as a form.

And you do not always need to use the whole bar. Take the 'd' form on the second fret, it is a d chord. Move the 'd' down one fret (towards the body of the guitar) and hit just the first three strings. You have the infamous Eb (Many piano pieces seem to be written in Eb and Bb) that tends to frustrate the common guitar player (me included). I use this alot to figure out where to but the capo. So say I need to play in Eb, I will capo on the first fret, and play the piece in the key of D (form).

My favorite is the g form. On the first string , put your finger on the note you want, say the 'C' fret, and then bar, across the fret board three frets up from there. This is g form, creating a 'C' chord. Just hit the first 4 strings. Or do a full g form and hit them all. Great for playing melody. I would say that my favorite forms are E, A, D, G

This is not brain surgery, it is really rather simple once you try it. It is not anyone's technique, it is a technique anyone can apply.
Les Paul

<>< 1 Cor 10:31

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell