The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-09-2018, 08:57 PM

Default Thoughts on this 'damage'?

I wonder if I might seek your thoughts on this Martin received yesterday? I've recorded a short video (40 seconds).

I appreciate some 'belly' is to be expected but the still image at the end of the video is also a concern.

Really appreciate your thoughts. Sorry my first post is a request. Should've introduced myself first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zmIrgg6AuE

Thanks
Old 04-09-2018, 09:05 PM

Its a 12 string, lot of tension happens on the bridge area, the arching of the top behind the bridge happens as well, it does look like some repairs have been done down the back and possibly could be improved.

More importantly, how does it play and feel under your fingers

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 04-10-2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Its a 12 string, lot of tension happens on the bridge area, the arching of the top behind the bridge happens as well, it does look like some repairs have been done down the back and possibly could be improved.

More importantly, how does it play and feel under your fingers

Steve
Hi Steve. Thanks for the reply.

The action is a bit high. Just back from taking it to a local repair / builder guy. He wasn't unduly concerned about the belly but did suggest a Stewmac option if it became a problem. The action, he suggested was probably in part attributable to the Fishman that'd been fitted as the bridge seemed a bit high. Will find out when I get some strings this weekend.

I will say, it sounds wonderful. Compared to my cheaper six string it sounds like I'm listening to the entire guitar (for want of a better way of expressing it) rather than just the strings. So full sounding. Quite bright - repair guy thought so too - but I guess that might be the richlite board on this model.

Asking myself, if this one sounds as good as it does, what else is out there... Staring over the edge of a rabbit hole...

Thanks again.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

Welcome to the forum! If the saddle wasn't adjusted to accommodate the pick up that certainly would raise the action. You have a lot of saddle height so shaving it down to get the right action will do several things: One, it will be much easier to play. Two, it will reduce the stress behind the bridge because you are lowering the leverage arm. Three, it will improve the bass response. Certainly a 12 string is going to sound more trebly anyway but, having strings too high off the soundboard will effect treble a lot more than fret board material. The good news is one adjustment will help fix a number of issues.

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 04-10-2018, 06:41 AM

Sure looks like something was done to the surface of the guitar at the end of your video.

Simple answer from my side: Can you return it to vendor (2nd hand likely...?).

I would not keep it myself. Plus, I haven't seen a Martin 12 string that I thought was a keeper. I would guess they exist, but I haven't seen one...

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 04-10-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
Sure looks like something was done to the surface of the guitar at the end of your video.

Simple answer from my side: Can you return it to vendor (2nd hand likely...?).

I would not keep it myself. Plus, I haven't seen a Martin 12 string that I thought was a keeper. I would guess they exist, but I haven't seen one...
Right. I bought my '65 D-12-35 Martin new and after more than 50 years, I'm still not sure if it's a keeper.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigeuner View Post
Right. I bought my '65 D-12-35 Martin new and after more than 50 years, I'm still not sure if it's a keeper.
Give it another 10 years, and if you’re still not sure, I’d see if they’d take it back -
Old 04-10-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigeuner View Post
"I would guess they exist, but I haven't seen one..."

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 04-11-2018, 07:48 PM

Thank you all again for the replies. Will let you know how it shapes-up after a clean and restring this weekend.

Returning it isn't really an option. Bought via a local online auction site and by the time I'd paid return shipping and argued with the seller... well, you know how it goes sometimes. I'll just work through the problems and know to ask more questions / request more pictures in future.

Thanks again.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
"I would guess they exist, but I haven't seen one..."

Wow Ned, the OP says the guitar sounds wonderful. How is this helpful?

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 04-12-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Wow Ned, the OP says the guitar sounds wonderful. How is this helpful?
I don't pretend to be a connoisseur of all things acoustic but, yeah, it really does sound great to me.

I've been all over the rabbit hole with electric guitars for the past forty-odd years and now gravitate towards something I won't be afraid to play hard or leave lying around the house. Feel the same way about this twelve string. It's going to get a lot of use. :-)

Weekend's nearly here. Fresh strings and a good clean up over a cold beer awaits.

Thanks again guys.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair