The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-12-2018, 03:18 PM

No need for Martin to give these updated models a different name. Online and in stores they may differentiate them with the year for the next little while while the older models are still in stock, and then there will be no need.

Rather than adding additional complexity to their lineup, Martin is actually streamlining their offerings by eliminating the V/GE/Marquis models and bringing much of that goodness to the standard models.

The new guitars look great, they’ll sound great if the models they’ve already updated are any indication, and they’re making their catalog a bit simpler in the long run. I see all of these as wins both for the company and the consumer.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
As a disclaimer I am not in the Martin "camp" Nor in the Taylor camp. I own both brands as well as others...

But the truth is that Taylor shifted the paradigm of guitars sound and build. While some folks simplify it and say that Taylor guitars are "brighter", IMO that is an oversimplification. While some lower end Taylors and those with Cedar tops are brighter guitars overall, the higher end Taylors aren't generically brighter, but fuller and richer sounding with extended overtones and resultant harmonics. And Taylor guitars exemplify today's "modern" sound. And Martin is following suit- starting with the D28 redesign.

I believe that Martin has recognized that the only way forward is to go along. While there are folks that still love the old traditional acoustic sounds, many our sonic expectations have migrated to that that modern sound. And while every hand has it's own neck preferences, perhaps Martin is following Taylor into the world of wider nuts and shallower necks. I don't know, but how would you explain changing the nut width on such an iconic guitar as the D28?

Actually, from a sound standpoint I think Martin is doing the right thing, but should have a different model designation. I know that Taylor does this and IMO it a disingenuous marketing ploy, confusing the unwitting buyers who don't know the difference between a 2016 and 2018 model called by the same name.
I don't see where Martin is (or should be) moving to a more modern sound. Bracing changes reflect nothing like that, in fact I'd argue the opposite.

Doubling down on their oustanding signature tone, upgrading the appointments, and modernizing the neck. Seems like a winning move to me.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:11 PM

I have a 000-15m that I'm pretty happy with. But of course I have been eyeing a 000-28 custom for a while that had a lot of these new appointments (open tuners, tortoise pickguard, herringbone.)

I think the toner, neck profile and inlays might make me pull the trigger on the new 000-28. I have also been looking at a Gibson J-15 for a short scale / wider nut, maybe someone can help sway me
Old 01-12-2018, 09:51 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Rather than adding additional complexity to their lineup, Martin is actually streamlining their offerings by eliminating the V/GE/Marquis models and bringing much of that goodness to the standard models.

The new guitars look great, they’ll sound great if the models they’ve already updated are any indication, and they’re making their catalog a bit simpler in the long run. I see all of these as wins both for the company and the consumer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Doubling down on their oustanding signature tone, upgrading the appointments, and modernizing the neck. Seems like a winning move to me.
Yep, I’m no Martin expert. But as a guy who owns and loves their previous big updates - the 18 & 28 - this is pretty much the way I see it, too.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 01-13-2018, 01:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
As a disclaimer I am not in the Martin "camp" Nor in the Taylor camp. I own both brands as well as others...

But the truth is that Taylor shifted the paradigm of guitars sound and build. While some folks simplify it and say that Taylor guitars are "brighter", IMO that is an oversimplification. While some lower end Taylors and those with Cedar tops are brighter guitars overall, the higher end Taylors aren't generically brighter, but fuller and richer sounding with extended overtones and resultant harmonics. And Taylor guitars exemplify today's "modern" sound. And Martin is following suit- starting with the D28 redesign...
I have to wonder if Martin started this paradigm shift (or move to retro specifications?) in 2012 with the redesign of the iconic D18, merging the D18V and Standard Series D18. This current iteration of the D18 has been wildly popular over the last 6 years. About the only negative criticism I have heard is that some don't like the neck profile and taper. Admittedly, I was taken aback when I first picked one up. Playing up the neck felt odd and unfamiliar. I have grown used to it now. And I love the wider nut and scalloped, forward shifted braces, open back tuners, and traditional looking pickguard... all retro.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:45 PM

It's good to remember that Martin is in business, not to make guitars but to make money. They just use guitars to obtain the results they are looking for.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Business is business. The first task of ANY business is to STAY in business.

This was a business decision on Martin's part, and a good one, so far as I can tell. More power to them.

Wade Hampton Miller
There is a distinct difference between staying in business and making business boom. I applaud the Collings model: commit to quality and sell enough to be proud of.

No question, now millennials can get guitars that play like a Taylor and sound like a Martin. They'll sell a million guitars that all look, feel, and sound about the same...
Old 01-13-2018, 08:18 PM

I like Martin Taylor. Taylor Martin, not at all. I am hoping these remain Martin Martin.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

It's interesting to see all the different responses to Martin's new Standard Series changes. It seems the majority of folks are happy about it but there is always a segment that doesn't like change...of any kind?
Will the change to the Standard Series make for a better Martin guitar? That's yet to be seen I suppose but I believe that regardless of what our preconceived notions may be, Martin (as a business entity) will sell a lot more guitars. Hopefully these new guitars will truly reflect a continued dedication on Martin's part to bringing their finest and best to the consumer.
If not it really won't matter. But I'm hoping for better!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
It's interesting to see all the different responses to Martin's new Standard Series changes. It seems the majority of folks are happy about it but there is always a segment that doesn't like change...of any kind?
The ironic thing about the latter reaction is that Martin is — for the most part — actually making these guitars more true to the originals. To me it feels like they’re actually correcting some of the changes that have been made in the past.

It’s obviously been a winning recipe so far, starting with the D-18 five or six years ago through to the D-28 about six months ago. Smart move by Martin to apply it across all their standard series models.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.F. Angee View Post
Why is Taylor not celebrating? How can you redesign all your flagships without confessing something?
Thank goodness Taylor doesn't ever change THEIR guitar designs.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:34 AM
Charter Member

The thing is, there never was a "standard" Martin that stayed the same configuration for very long. They changed all the time: bracing, string spacing, tuners, pick guards, tonewoods, etc. I'm pretty sure Martin didn't make these decisions in a vacuum. They are trying to keep up with the times. People's taste in acoustic guitars has changed over the years. If you want the more "traditional" Martin sound, then there are plenty of used vintage Martins to choose from.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 01-14-2018, 07:28 AM

This is pretty much what I was thinking as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
I'm not sure about the New Coke analogy. If anything, the changes Martin is making to their standard lineup are more akin to Coca-Cola going back to their tried and true recipe and iconic bottle shape. These guitars will look and sound closer to their golden era instruments of the 30s and 40s and less like the overbuilt instruments of the 60s and 70s.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 01-14-2018, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I'm willing to bet that a lot of people who have the "old" versions would be willing to buy a "new" version whereas they likely would not buy another of one they already have.
I see allot of D-18s for sale that are pre*imagined and the prices are to high. How can you sell a D-18 that doesn't have scalloped braces etc. now days? The pricing should be down around $1,200 to $1,400. IMO

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-15-2018, 01:59 AM

Sounds like something Henry would have done.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion