The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-21-2016, 02:53 AM

Default Martin D-21 Special, help?

Hi there!
I'm currently in the process of purchasing a Martin D-21 Special. By looking at the pictures it seems to be in excellent condition; nearly mint and built in 2008. I live in Sweden and the owner claims to have bought it in the US back in 2008.

But I would appreciate some input on what to look and beware of when testing it out later this week. It's my first guitar purchase in this price range and the owner demands approx 1925 dollars (converted from swedish crowns).

From what I understand the D-21 Special production line ended a couple of years ago, and since it's not a very well known guitar I deem the chance of it being unauthentic fairly small.

If you have any experience I'm keen to hear what you have to say!
Old 10-21-2016, 04:40 AM

All positive. Tone is full with sustain. String spacing is perfect and neck is low profile is low. To me it rumbles and growls like an HD28v met a good D18 and had a child. Fingerstyles well too. It does it all. See pics in the classifieds if you like. Good luck!
Old 10-21-2016, 04:41 AM
Charter Member

Hey,

I'm in the UK, and I love Sweden!

D21 is a rosewood back and sides but with the plainer trim one sees on D-18s (Mahogany)

The things to look for would be the same as with any used guitar, especially Martins.

1. Look down the fretboard from the headstock end along each side. The line of the fretboard should be almost straight, (relief (i.e. the bend in between about the 3rd to 12th fret) should be no more than about .025 of a m/m.

The line of the fret board should align perfectly with the top of the bridge (not the saddle which should be 3-4 m/m higher.

2. The action (the distance between the bottom of the outside strings and the top of the frets should be under 3 m/m. More could indicate a neck reset which can be difficult to get done in some places.

Note: Most guitars, and especially Martins require a neck reset from time to time. This can vary from every 10 - 30 years.

3. Check the frets, looking for grooves or flats - wear like this means a refret.

4. Look at the top - is there an excessive bulge behind the bridge (called a belly) or anywhere else? Is the bridge leaning forward? This means deformation of the top usually due to excessive string tension, or problems with struts inside.

5. Struts - Any rattles, or buzzes ? (These can usually be reglued).

6. Headstock: Are tuners all original or well replaced?
Are there signs of a re[paired neck break (this is a frequent problem occurring whilst shipping. A well repaired one reduces value but not necessarily playability or reliability.

7. The back and sides - look carefully for cracks, and splits. Again, this need not be a disaster, but need to be attended to.

8. Nut: Is it properly made, fitted, are the strings bedded to 50% of their diameter?

9. Case: is it original, or at least one that you are happy with.

The last two really important things -

10. How does it sound ? (it is worth fitting new strings if they are old and dull).

11. How does it feel for you ? Totally subjective.

All the above sound dramatic, and you will probably find nothing much to worry about - but it is worth checking.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

5. Bridge - is it firmly glued to the top? Are there any gaps underneath it which you could slide a piece of paper into? Bridge lifting is quite common and not usually a big issue if repaired quickly.

6. Trim : look closely aroud the edges of the top and back - any signs of impact and/or cracks ?
Old 10-21-2016, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

...the D-21 Special i played was one of the best sounding Martin Dreads i've played...ever....and its also a good looking guitar....i'd say you have chosen wisely....
Old 10-21-2016, 07:21 AM

Default D 21 Special

I own a D21 Special. If you're able to verify that it's in excellent condition, I would say go for it.

One thing about the D21 Special is that it is unique in the Martin pantheon. Martin built a total of just over 600 of these guitars, and they do not come up for sale very often. It's got all of the qualities that you should expect in a good Martin dreadnaught, but has the wider string spacing at the saddle that finger style players tend to look for.

I have put one up for sale in my shop, but have priced it high because I am not too interested in seeing it go!

Good luck to you!
-Bill-
AVALON * MCILROY * FURCH/STONEBRIDGE * HUSS & DALTON * BOURGEOIS

466 Amherst Street Buffalo New York 14207
[email protected]
www.thefrettedbuffalo.com
716-913-6487
Old 10-21-2016, 08:00 AM

Other things to look for that are different from a regular 21 series guitar is rosewood binding, ebony binding on the fingerboard, better looking purfling and a nicer back strip. I have an OM-21 Special and it is spectacular!! Your price seems very good too...good luck!!
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 10-21-2016, 08:05 AM

I have one of the 2006 OM-21 Specials and will echo that these "Specials" are wonderful guitars.

If it's in excellent condition the $1,925 USD is a good deal on this model.

Beautifully matched Rosewood back and sides with maple trim around the back ... Pyramid Bridge .. Snow Flake fret markers at the 5th, 7th and 9th fret. Vintage open back tuners with oval keys.

Hope it works out for you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
authentic, martin d-21 special