The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-27-2016, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin Authentic Guitars: Demand and Rumors

I just purchased a Martin 00-18 Authentic 1931 today and the dealer provided a few interesting tidbits that I thought I'd pass along here.
  • According to the dealer, demand for Martin Authentic instruments is very good but there's very limited supply.
  • Currently a six-month queue for dealers waiting to re-stock Authentic guitar models.
  • The dealer said there are only two guys at Martin who are dedicated full time doing all of the hide glue construction for Authentic guitars and various custom shop orders.
  • Capacity thus far has been limited to only a few hundred instruments this year.
  • The dealer also indicated there are rumors of a likely price increase at Martin for its Authentic guitars this Fall.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:44 PM

I'd love to have one. But I'd probably have to sell my car. LOL

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 07-27-2016, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

I can't speak for the Authentic's but I have a CS order I've been waiting on since the first of March. Six months is what I'm told pretty consistently? Congrats on your new Martin!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 07-27-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:08 PM

Congrats on your new Authentic!
With a pending price increase it sounds like I bought my D28 1937 VTS just in time.

There are many Martin dealers competing for your business.
If you buy one off the floor it's pretty easy to get an Authentic for 40% below the MSRP listed on Martin's website ... [not 40% below the MAP (minimum advertised price) which every dealer lists them for, which is maybe 15 or 20% below Martin's MSRP].

I wonder how low a dealer will go on a factory order.
It seems reasonable that once a guitar is taking up precious floor space they are more motivated to move them.
But when a dealer orders one for a customer there would be less incentive to take off the full 40%.
Plus if you order one you're stuck with it even if you don't like it, right?

Last edited by Tico; 07-27-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Thanks.

Your D28 looks-- and I'm sure it sounds-- wonderful.

Given the present demand for Authentic instruments and the lengthy construction process, supply/demand economics is at work-- shouldn't be a shock that Martin may indeed raise pricing...
Old 07-27-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonataSystems View Post
Thanks.

Your D28 looks-- and I'm sure it sounds-- wonderful.

Given the present demand for Authentic instruments and the lengthy construction process, supply/demand economics is at work-- shouldn't be a shock that Martin may indeed raise pricing...
Thanks.

No shock at all.
Actually, all things considered (especially the astronomical prices of competition (all hide glue, Madi/Adi, cooked top) for Martin's Authentics) I consider them to be a huge bargain.

Last edited by Tico; 07-27-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
I wonder how low a dealer will go on a factory order.
It seems reasonable that once a guitar is taking up precious floor space they are more motivated to move them.
But when a dealer orders one for a customer there would be less incentive to take off the full 40%.
Plus if you order one you're stuck with it even if you don't like it, right?
On the one hand, that makes sense.

But on the other hand, if you order a guitar you pay for part of it up front and the rest once it comes in. The dealer doesn't have to front the money for the order, and they have no holding costs associated with that guitar (money, showroom space, insurance, etc.), so it should cost them less and, theoretically, they could sell it for a bit less than one sitting on their showroom floor.

Whether or not we could convince the dealer of that is a different story, however.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtedtan View Post
On the one hand, that makes sense.

But on the other hand, if you order a guitar you pay for part of it up front and the rest once it comes in. The dealer doesn't have to front the money for the order, and they have no holding costs associated with that guitar (money, showroom space, insurance, etc.), so it should cost them less and, theoretically, they could sell it for a bit less than one sitting on their showroom floor.

Whether or not we could convince the dealer of that is a different story, however.
Thanks for posting this.
When negotiating EVERYTHING is fair game.
When doing the dance, the more crap a buyer can pull out of her pocket the better.
Since they do this all day long every day sellers have very very full pockets.

Negotiating is a game in which you just take turns staying stuff.
Play to win.
They do.

Last edited by Tico; 07-27-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:04 PM

I have a 00028k 1921 authentic and I am delighted with it. Pretty rare in Europe and I may have the only one in Ireland.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:06 PM

There are a handful of authentics available in my area for immediate purchase. I think their demand is strong nationally, but I am not as sure that each and every local dealer has walk in clientele that want/can afford them. Kudos to people to buy and love them. I'm a fan for sure.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I can't speak for the Authentic's but I have a CS order I've been waiting on since the first of March. Six months is what I'm told pretty consistently? Congrats on your new Martin!
I ordered mine on the 3rd of March. I hope we get our guitars soon!!!

Mike
Old 07-27-2016, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Me too Mike!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-27-2016, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonataSystems View Post
I just purchased a Martin 00-18 Authentic 1931 today and the dealer provided a few interesting tidbits that I thought I'd pass along here.
  • According to the dealer, demand for Martin Authentic instruments is very good but there's very limited supply.
  • Currently a six-month queue for dealers waiting to re-stock Authentic guitar models.
  • The dealer said there are only two guys at Martin who are dedicated full time doing all of the hide glue construction for Authentic guitars and various custom shop orders.
  • Capacity thus far has been limited to only a few hundred instruments this year.
  • The dealer also indicated there are rumors of a likely price increase at Martin for its Authentic guitars this Fall.
I can't refute or confirm this on a factual basis, but it sure sounds like a salesman trying to push a customer to buy sooner rather than later. All of it has a degree of plausibility (as a good sales pitch should) but it still sounds like a slanted presentation of the facts. But I could be wrong and I'd be happy for someone with the facts to chime in.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:20 PM

Perhaps Martin raises prices on every guitar every year?
Anyone know?
Old 07-27-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
I have a 00028k 1921 authentic and I am delighted with it. Pretty rare in Europe and I may have the only one in Ireland.
Is that the all Koa 000? I haven't seen one in person, but I've heard a couple of nice recordings and Spoon P has an interesting review on his web site. Looks cool, certainly -- glad you are enjoying yours.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
authentic, martin, rumors, supply