The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-12-2018, 01:55 PM

Default Sanding Down The Saddle

I live in an area with very low humidity all year long and I do keep my guitars in a room with a humidifier but I think it took about a year before my acoustic finally settled down. When it did settle down though the action was high. It was perfect at the nut so I left that alone and I adjusted the truss rod to get some relief because at that point the neck was perfectly straight. Last step was to sand down the saddle a bit. I did it 3 times and it was playing much better and there were no issues anywhere but I felt it needed just a drop more so I took a bit more off and now the action is perfect. The only think I did notice and this was not there after the 3rd sanding was that on the High E string at the 12th fret the sound was almost dead and then from the 13th fret on it began to get normal again. I took a tiny thin plastic tie and cut just enough off to fit under the saddle where the High E string sits and it is about 90 percent normal and I will leave it like it is for now.

Just seems odd to me that only one string and one fret was affected. I know that when I was sanding my concern was that I was not applying even pressure so Im thinking that maybe I got the High E string part just a tiny bit higher? Just curious as to why it would only affect the 12th fret??
Old 04-12-2018, 02:00 PM

You could have a fret that's just a bit high. Is the neck pretty straight?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-12-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
You could have a fret that's just a bit high. Is the neck pretty straight?
The neck is pretty straight. I have backed off the truss rod now twice but the neck is still pretty straight with not much relief. Only one place and one fret where it did this after I sanded.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:45 AM

I don't think there was an issue with how you sanded the saddle. Or else, more strings and frets would be affected.
If this was a buzz or subdued sound at the 12th fret, then its Likely a high fret as Mr. Beaumont pointed out. Maybe gently tap the 13th fret which could be touching the string when fretted at the 12th.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:22 AM

You can check if there is a fret with either a straight edge or the strings (but more difficult). Simply press the string at two points with you fingers, lowering it to the three frets but barely touching them, where the center fret is the one in particular interest for you. What is the humidity you monitor?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair