The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-11-2018, 01:58 AM

Default 3-Way Head to Head

I know this question gets asked over and again but there are so many possible combinations that they don't come up together in a search. I'm coming from a background of steel six string electric and 5 string acoustic bass. I live in a very small community so there's no possibility to try these side by side.

I think I've narrowed the search down to these three possible choices that seem to have most of the features I'm looking for at a price I can afford:

- Cordoba GK Studio (Limited or Negra)
- Takamine TC132SC
- Yamaha NCX1200R

Advice/suggestions based on experience appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: I should add that I am not pursuing serious study of the classical repertoire. The guitar will be used for an eclectic mix of soft, light jazz, classical and some pop. When I play out (infrequently) it will almost always be amplified. For practising and social gatherings at home it will almost always be acoustic, except when I'm messing with the effects of various pedals.

Last edited by Llewellin; 01-11-2018 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 01-12-2018, 09:45 AM

Depending on your playing & musical preferences, you can't go wrong with any of your choices...

Here's my humble take on your posted selections;

Yamaha NCX1200R... Nice guitar, but doesn't sound great acoustically.. If you are going to play it amplified, its a good choice. Every model, I ever tried sounded like it was stuffed with a towel when played unamplified.

Takamine TC132SC.... Very nice guitar, but you need to try one to see how the Takamine neck feels in your left hand.

While you don't have to play the exact model, look for other Tak's in your area and see how you like the width and thickness. I used to own a Takamine C132S. I loved it, but the neck was too wide & thick for my left hands personal preference.

Cordoba GK Studio.. another very nice guitar. It beats the Yamaha hands down when playing unamplified. It's capable of being played in a number of musical genres.

Personally, I sold my GK Studio to buy a GK Pro Negra. I think the Pro model has a better pre-amp, plus it is all solid wood.

Hope this helps

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewellin View Post
I know this question gets asked over and again but there are so many possible combinations that they don't come up together in a search. I'm coming from a background of steel six string electric and 5 string acoustic bass. I live in a very small community so there's no possibility to try these side by side.

I think I've narrowed the search down to these three possible choices that seem to have most of the features I'm looking for at a price I can afford:

- Cordoba GK Studio (Limited or Negra)
- Takamine TC132SC
- Yamaha NCX1200R

Advice/suggestions based on experience appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: I should add that I am not pursuing serious study of the classical repertoire. The guitar will be used for an eclectic mix of soft, light jazz, classical and some pop. When I play out (infrequently) it will almost always be amplified. For practising and social gatherings at home it will almost always be acoustic, except when I'm messing with the effects of various pedals.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-12-2018, 10:33 AM

@dkstott: Thanks for the detailed reply. Yours is the third post I have come across that either gives thumbs down to the Yamaha. One person said it sounded like playing a wet log. Scratched from my list.

Two other guitars that I have discovered since my original post are:

- Pavan TP-20-AC solid cedar/solid rosewood 50mm nut no truss
- Camps MC6 solid cedar/rosewood lam 52mm nut truss

Both are acoustic only but I could have my preferred pickup/mic system installed after the fact when funds permit. Both seem to have very good tone, as much as one can tell from clips on the internet.

Any additional comments? Thanks.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-12-2018 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 01-12-2018, 03:55 PM

I can't help you with the 2 new options. I've never had a chance to play either of them.

The fusion and GK series have a slightly thinner body than standard classical guitars. So the sound might not be as full as what you'd get from a true classical guitar. But many people including myself love them for their versatility over multiple genres of music.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-12-2018, 04:28 PM

Thanks! So far, everything I have been able to discover about the Pavan tells me it would be the preferred choice, except it doesn't have a truss rod - it does have ebony stabilization in the neck instead.

I'm coming from a background of electric steel string guitars which always have a truss. Admittedly, the tension on nylon strings would be much lower but the absence of an adjustable truss is still of some concern to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical