The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-08-2019, 08:47 AM

Knopfler's style to me always comes off as a combination of Richard Thompson and J. J. Cale. You could go with either when it comes to guitars and be pretty close to hitting the mark.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
I think you could hand Mark Knopfler just about any acoustic guitar and it would sound like his style when he played it.
HI dk

While I agree players as skilled as Mark Knopfler, can play 'notes' recognizably on a wide range of guitars, they choose their specific instruments with care for the properties they exhibit when they play them. But as a player and teacher, I don't dismiss the properties of the instrument when one is pursuing particular styles.

Fingerstyle guitars are often quite different than Bluegrass lead guitars.

It's not just about how-little-can-I-get-by-with to play my style with them. It's more a matter of at what point does the instrument become invisible to the player so he/she can just express themselves with it.

If you hand Mark Knopfler a nylon string guitar with little sustain, not well intonated, with muffled mids, you wouldn't beg to hear him play it even though you might recognize the style.

He has very definite thoughts about the tone and responses of his 'chosen' instruments (which he has talked about at length in interviews). That's part of what makes him 'Mark'.

Other highly respected players are similarly selective about the properties of their instrument (Al Petteway, James Taylor, Phil Keaggy, Michael Chapdelaine, Martin Taylor, Pat Donohue, Pete Huttliner-who I miss a lot, Laurence Juber, Marty Stuart etc). They chose their instruments for the properties under discussion when combined with their style.

The original poster is currently playing a nylon string guitar and wants to add a representative steel strung instrument to apply Mark's style to. So the issues boil down to a balance between price (how much should he spend) versus which characteristics enhance the properties of Mark Knopfler's style as one grows into them.

I think the focus should be around the desired properties that place it in the camp of Mark K style playing, and mark2b is doing the right thing by starting to play instruments and audition them.

I started learning to do fingerstyle on a great D-28 (owned it for 17 years) but at about 13 years with it, my skills and styling hit a wall and I began wrestling with the instrument instead of playing music.

While I was exploring how to loosen things up and pushing myself, and practicing even harder, someone put an Olson in my hands for about an hour, and my style immediately improved. Imagine my surprise when James Olson said "I cannot sell this guitar because it's not up to my standards."

It took 4 more years to make commissioning one a reality, but my Olson is now 25 years old, my main guitar and I'm still growing musically.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-08-2019, 11:27 AM

He’s playing a Froggy here.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
I think you could hand Mark Knopfler just about any acoustic guitar and it would sound like his style when he played it.

Dave

I totally agree. I don’t like his style because his technique is always the same regardless of the song - boring! There are many guitarists that have the ability to play different techniques that fit songs rather than making all of the songs sound the same.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 01-08-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2b View Post
These are the guitars I have in mind: Yamaha FG800, Alvarez AD60, Seagull S6 or Maritime, Sigma DR-28H, Sigma Hummingbird, Taylor GS mini, Gibson J15 and a low end Martin of sorts.

So far, I only had the chance to play the Yamaha and the Gibson, the latter which, quite disappointed me. I own a Les Paul and like its short scale, and the J15 certainly looked and felt like an expensive guitar, but didn't sound like one.
Just came back to add one guitar that the OP should really try to find. I've seen them in Guitar Center several times and I've picked them up on 5 separate occasions and with one exception (possibly due to dead strings), came away thinking how similar they were to my Larrivee OOs. Saw one today and it was a pleasure to hear and play.

This model comes in three sizes, O, OO, and OOO and my pick would be the OO. It has a short scale, is 12 fret, spruce top, hog back and sides (laminate, but whatevs) has a lovely sunburst, looks well made and has a nice vintage woody tone with sweet trebles. It basically checks off all my boxes and I've no doubt Knopfler would approve since the OOO closely tracks his Martin specs.

It's only downfall is it's horrible name, Gretch "G9521 Style 3 Double-O Grand Concert" which is kinda hard to warm up to, but the price seems well within your parameters.

https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/...top/2705801537

Nice to see so many Knopfler fans weighing in. While I've emulated his playing style, I'm not such a fan-boy that I love all the tracks on his albums. If I go 5 for 12, I consider it a success. The newest has some more personal songs from him, "Matchstick Man" and "One Song at a Time" that were my favorite and if I'm not mistaken, Knopfler went political again like he did with "Don't Crash the Ambulance" with his song "Heavy Up." Politics, being the 3rd rail generally – well I'll just stop there, just wondering if anyone else noticed . . .
Old 01-08-2019, 11:26 PM

Ye, the name is horrible.

Unfortunately, Larrivee guitars are out of my budget. The Gibson J15 is a big stretch for me already.

I don't live in the US, so prices here vary much.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:55 PM

Among the many guitars MK has played and performed with is a small body Froggy Bottom guitar

http://www.oneverybootleg.nl/MK_guit...oggybottom.htm

MK is a guitarist's guitarist. He has refined his enormous talent over a long career. He says so much with subtle few notes. I admire his approach greatly.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 01-10-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I'v been playing guitar for many years but never played any folk style, nor do I own an acoustic guitar (have only electric and nylon).

I really like Mark Knopfler, especially his "celtic folk" style(he is the very reason I began to play the guitar, 13 years ago). Albums from his solo career such as "Tracker", "Get Lucky", and "ragpicker's dream" are my favorite.

I started learning his songs as well as some Country Blues and Ragtime tunes (Blind Blake) which influenced Mark's music. I currently play on my nylon string guitar, but it doesn't really suit for that job, thus I am on the look for an acoustic guitar.

These are the guitars I have in mind: Yamaha FG800, Alvarez AD60, Seagull S6 or Maritime, Sigma DR-28H, Sigma Hummingbird, Taylor GS mini, Gibson J15 and a low end Martin of sorts.

Do people here have any experience with the guitars I listed and be kind to share them with me please?

So far, I only had the chance to play the Yamaha and the Gibson, the latter which, quite disappointed me. I own a Les Paul and like its short scale, and the J15 certainly looked and felt like an expensive guitar, but didn't sound like one.

You may have gotten a less-than-ideal Gibson. Which will happen from time to time. But.. of the guitars listed there, I would take the J15 by a mile before any of the others. Sigma is the only other one which would be a potential contender, but.. for not much more, you can find a Gibson (or equivalent) on the used market. Everyone has their own preference, and ear.. but in the end, you're the only one who matters.

I would also add Washburn to the list.. as my Washburn is one of the most responsive guitars for tip-of-the-finger/flesh fingerstyle that I've ever played. Especially at that price. But at the end of the day, I would just say... be patient. Wait for something that speaks to you. You may have to play 20 or 30 or 50 guitars until you pick one up that you're like.. "*dang*".

I can't help but keep thinking that Mark Knopfler does play almost exclusively Martins for his acoustics.. including a signature model.. but if you're budget is going to restrict you to the "lower" tier Martins, (or even the mid-tier ones.. except maybe save one or two..) ..I would steer you elsewhere.

But , again. . it's all about you.. enjoy the quest!!!!

-Scott
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 01-10-2019, 08:43 PM

BTW the current issue of Guitar Player magazine has an article on MK's guitars...
Old 01-11-2019, 01:51 AM

Quote:
but.. for not much more, you can find a Gibson (or equivalent) on the used market
I live outside the US. The second hand market for acoustic guitars simply doesn't exist here.

As for Sigma and Washburn, are there any particular models you can recommend (especially with Sigma, which copy so many models)?

A funny side story about Washburn: my very first nylon string guitar I bought back in 2006 was a fully laminated Oscar Schmidt OC11, which is the daughter company of Washburn for 180$. Since than I bought and sold several guitars with a higher price tag, but that one is here to stay. It is the guitar, in fact, on which I currently play, while my 2700$ CS Strat sits in the closet.

Quote:
but if you're budget is going to restrict you to the "lower" tier Martins, (or even the mid-tier ones.. except maybe save one or two..) ..I would steer you elsewhere.
I don't really have a budget limit. I can go and buy a J45 or D18/28 without taking any financial hit (not bragging about, just a fact). That said, music is only a home hobby to me and I feel it is unreasonable to spend more that 700-1000$ on any music gear unless I am gigging or making music for a living. I already bought once an expensive guitar (see above) which didn't bring me joy on the long run (when it comes to electrics, I prefer my "mediocre" Les Paul Studio by far over the CS Strat).

I guess I need to just buy what I'll enjoy playing rather than owning, whichever the price is.

Last edited by mark2b; 01-11-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:15 AM

Does anyone here have an experience with Seagull guitars?

In particular, how do the S6 Original and Maritime SWS compare against Gibson's J15?
Old 01-12-2019, 02:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Does anyone here have an experience with Seagull guitars?

In particular, how do the S6 Original and Maritime SWS compare against Gibson's J15?
Might be worth asking in a new thread Mark.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
Yamaha LS-16 A.R.E.

Folk-sized, passive pickup, pre-aged engelmann top, beautiful sound, beautifully made.

$800 new, about $600 used in mint condition.

Yammie doesn't sell these with hard cases, so get yourself a good case.

Or get the LS-TA transacoustic like mine. Same guitar but with the magic sound machine inside.
The Yamaha LS-TA is a truly wonderful instrument for an excellent price. Yamaha claim that it will make you play acoustic guitar more - and they are absolutely right - love mine! I've given mine a really good set up and really don't need anything else.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:05 AM

Quote:
The Yamaha LS-TA is a truly wonderful instrument for an excellent price.
I'm not sure I like the concept of this guitar. I'm looking for a pure acoustic guitar without any electronics.

The price of this Yamaha, in my area, is almost as much as the J15, so it doesn't save me much money either :/
Old 01-12-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure I like the concept of this guitar. I'm looking for a pure acoustic guitar without any electronics.

The price of this Yamaha, in my area, is almost as much as the J15, so it doesn't save me much money either :/
Fair enough, if you can though I'd recommend trying one as it has a really tasteful reverb built in that can be used without plugging the guitar into anything. Not everyones thing, but an excellent feature nevertheless - sound beautiful with folk styles (although not much use with faster/busier styles?).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
country blues, fingerstyle guitar, folk guitar, knopfler, ragtime