The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: What Types Of Fingerstyle Playing Do You Do Most?
I Don't, I Just Use A Pick 5 4.76%
Just My Fingers On Steel String 62 59.05%
Thumbpick & Fingers On Steel String 27 25.71%
Thumbpick & Fingerpicks On Steel String 13 12.38%
Lap Steel 1 0.95%
Chicken Pickin' 4 3.81%
Classical 15 14.29%
Flamenco 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2018, 07:18 PM

I had to share this, wow! I just came across this. Tommy is such an inspiration. He will play with anyone that wants to and spends a lot of time with his fans.

This little guy is amazing!

Martin GPCPA4
Martin Sigma DR-2
Seagull Entourage Black CW GT QI
Takamine G Series EG522C Classical
Morris A4 Mandolin
Morgan Monroe MMS-5 Mandolin
Dean EABC Acoustic Electric Bass
Marshall AS50D Amp
Old 08-18-2018, 11:13 AM

Martin GPCPA4
Martin Sigma DR-2
Morris A4 Mandolin
Marshall AS50D Amp
Old 08-18-2018, 11:34 AM

“My question is, does classical fingerstyle differ dramatically?”

I think where there are differences it relates to the difference in string tension and string spacing on most steel vs classical guitars.

A nylon string guitar feels very different. This matters when it gets complicated. For instance tremolo is difficult to make sound good on a steel string. The tonal palette of a good steel string is wider than on an equivalently good steel. They really are meant to play different types of music. But the strength in tone (volume) of a steelng is far
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 08-18-2018, 11:43 AM

To explore the difference in classical and steel string fingerstyle online, listen to Michael Chapdelaines YouTube vids. Notice the different groups guitars he selects
For different pieces.

The best evidence is to play the same piece on both a good classical
And steel string guitar. The effect is often quite different. The feel is very different.

When I ordered a guitar from Michael Millard, he knew I had been playing mostly classical. He built me short scale (24.9) inch 12 fret H with 1-7/8” nut which is the closest thing I’ve played to a classical with steel strings. It is still a steel string guitar but allows some classical pieces that sound good also.

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 08-18-2018, 11:49 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryevick View Post
I am excited about getting into that course. I won't have the time to start until next week. I agree though, the thumbpick (which I use to never consider), is the way to go for what I'm wanting to do. If you learn with the thumbpick, you can always take it off and use what you've learned without it but if you never learn with it one... Well I just think it would be naive to think you could just throw one on and play that style.
Yes, I agree, I'm going to start the same course, I have an account and the app that I can download the course and work off line with it. I bought a couple Dunlop thumb picks and I'm just about ready to go. I've been seriously wanting to learn this stuff the correct way so I can do it right !!! You better lookout James Taylor, cause here I come !!!
Old 08-18-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
Yes, I agree, I'm going to start the same course, I have an account and the app that I can download the course and work off line with it. I bought a couple Dunlop thumb picks and I'm just about ready to go. I've been seriously wanting to learn this stuff the correct way so I can do it right !!! You better lookout James Taylor, cause here I come !!!
That's Awesome!!! I really think it will be a complete game changer, I really, really do.

There are, as hopefully you've discovered, many cool features, sales events and ways to learn via TrueFire. They also just started a TrueFire Forum which I'll join soon enough. I have already setup a string of lessons that well help me in many areas. I haven't done it yet but you can create lesson 'playlist' and share them/make them public.

When I do join the forum there I'll make a post here so others will know my interest regarding my 'path' and goals and we might be able to turn each other onto individual tutorials we find.

I don't know if you are aware of the $5 course sales that have been going on all this month but check it out! I have the app and I already own 9 courses. I have the full list of courses for this month and the sale code. I just looked through the month and bought what I wanted all the same day.

Anyway I wish you all the best in your progress with your lessons and playing!!!
Martin GPCPA4
Martin Sigma DR-2
Morris A4 Mandolin
Marshall AS50D Amp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
boom-chick, classical, fingerstyle, flamenco, thumbpick