The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-18-2019, 02:32 AM

Default Can you get away with more playing unplugged?

So I don't know if others have felt this way also, but I have noticed that I'll play some songs on my acoustic and feel good about how cleanly I play them. Then I will plug my acoustic in to my acoustic amp and notice lots of little imperfections i didn't notice before. Has anyone else found this?
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups
Old 03-18-2019, 07:46 AM

Well, think about it...an amplifier amplifies everything...not just the good stuff. So yes, I'd say that's pretty common.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-18-2019, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Yep... that's what "amplification" means, all right...

I would add that it is definitely an art form to learn how "to play" your pickup system and amplifier... some techniques need to be toned down, while others need to be strengthened to compensate for whatever your pickup does to the signal...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-20-2019, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechariot1x View Post
So I don't know if others have felt this way also, but I have noticed that I'll play some songs on my acoustic and feel good about how cleanly I play them. Then I will plug my acoustic in to my acoustic amp and notice lots of little imperfections i didn't notice before. Has anyone else found this?
Hi tc1x

Nope.
  • I'm not trying to get away with anything…
  • I KNOW when I mess up, so even if others don't notice, I'm still not getting away with anything.
  • I play in a pretty quiet space in the house, and I hear the mistakes even when I'm not plugged in.

If I mess up at a gig (or my playing partner grabs a handful-of-hogs), I just look at him, we laugh out loud…and we keep making music.

We are certainly are better than when we started, but we are not bullet-proof. Especially given that we tend to improvise and mix in sometimes spontaneous instrumental solos with our singing.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-21-2019, 03:30 AM

Playing acoustically also lets the natural harmonics of a guitar sing. Amplification doesn't really do that, indeed, we spend $$$ on trying to re-introduce harmonics back into recorded music!
Martin J40
Old 03-21-2019, 07:52 AM

tc1x......I'm experiencing the same thing.
I just got my first acoustic amp a month or so ago. I love playing though it and utilizing the chorus and reverb - they add so much to certain songs...but...
my little flaws don't fly under the radar nearly as much.
I agree with jseth - I need to work on different techniques when I plug in.
Just another skill set to add, I suppose.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

There can be some compression going on when an amplifier is used. So quit nuances have equal weight with louder notes.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-21-2019, 08:06 PM

might a limiter pedal effect help minimize and smooth over these imperfections?
Old 03-21-2019, 08:25 PM

I think it's an artifact of hearing what you're playing from an "external" source, a bit like when you record something and listen back.

When it's all-acoustic, the sound is coming from right there at your fingertips; it's easy to "hear what you want to hear". But when hearing it from another source a ways away, your ear can separate better what your hands are doing vs the sounds that are being produced.

That's my theory, anyway, and I'm sticking to it.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechariot1x View Post
I practice playing plugged for that reason. The amp doesn't candy-coat anything and serves as a crusty old schoolmarm demanding perfection.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I think it's an artifact of hearing what you're playing from an "external" source, a bit like when you record something and listen back.

When it's all-acoustic, the sound is coming from right there at your fingertips; it's easy to "hear what you want to hear". But when hearing it from another source a ways away, your ear can separate better what your hands are doing vs the sounds that are being produced.

That's my theory, anyway, and I'm sticking to it.
interesting point....I thinks there's a lot of truth there
Old 03-22-2019, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

You've reached another level of self-awareness as it applies to guitar playing. So now what you have to do is practice more plugged in and make those noises go away through improved technique. You'll probably have to slow things down at first, but over time you'll be able to move faster. It calls for a lighter touch on the strings. I ran into the same thing when I started to record myself with mics up close. With mics though you have to watch how you breathe too.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-22-2019, 10:01 PM

In my playing environment ( leading worship music ) I tend to use my amp as a means of making my guitar louder ( over 50+singing voices ) and they are all singing at you . When I plug in I never change the way I attack the strings or play the guitar I try to play the same just let the amp do the work at a volume that's required . I use a Transacoustic LLTA or a SLG200s silent guitar so I use the effects built in the instruments. I never plug in at home and to be honest during reflective moments in our services I'll just play pure unplugged if I can . I had the pleasure of seeing Ralph McTell live a few months ago his guitars sounded great all night as they should just louder through the PA
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 04-02-2019, 07:48 PM
Guest 728

If your REALLY want to hear your mistakes, record yourself. Ouch!
Old 04-02-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
You've reached another level of self-awareness as it applies to guitar playing. So now what you have to do is practice more plugged in and make those noises go away through improved technique. You'll probably have to slow things down at first, but over time you'll be able to move faster. It calls for a lighter touch on the strings. I ran into the same thing when I started to record myself with mics up close. With mics though you have to watch how you breathe too.
Yep, this sums it up well. When I first started playing open mics, I was freaked out by how different, and sometimes how badly, my acoustic guitar sounded through the amp.

I went and bought a cheap amp and it sounded so bad I didn't really use it much.

Then I went and bought a really good quality acoustic amp after hearing a friends (AER). Then before the next open mic I practiced for some hours with a mic in my face and the guitar through the amp. Wow, that really improved my open mic performance out of sight.

Now that I'm doing many more open mics and a small number of cafe gigs, I rehearse with the amp always in the days leading up to the performance. The subtle differences all meld into one good sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write