The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-14-2019, 08:52 AM

Default Quick Monitor Controller question

Hi (and wow, it's been a while since I was last here!)

Just a quickie - I'm getting a Mackie Big Knob Passive monitor controller tomorrow. As you no doubt know, it's a big volume control (and other bits) in between your audio interface and your powered monitors.

The audio interface has it's own volume control, so the question is: do I turn the volume control on the audio interface to 10 or not, as the Big Knob will be now attenuating the volume? The manual doesn't tell me what is best practice.

I'm sure this applies to any combination of interface and monitor controller, not just my set-up.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers
Gazzamundo.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:03 AM

Don't really know. I think I'd start with everything else turned down and the Big Knob set for the spot that you'd like to be "normal." I'm a big fan of 11:00. Assuming you've got powered speakers and they have volume controls, then I'd turn them up maybe halfway and oonch up the interface until it sounds "normal." And keep turning stuff up if you have to. The only way you can mess up is by not having left and right even. You sorta have to earball that.

Couch Standards
Old 03-14-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Don't really know. I think I'd start with everything else turned down and the Big Knob set for the spot that you'd like to be "normal." I'm a big fan of 11:00. Assuming you've got powered speakers and they have volume controls, then I'd turn them up maybe halfway and oonch up the interface until it sounds "normal." And keep turning stuff up if you have to. The only way you can mess up is by not having left and right even. You sorta have to earball that.
Well, thanks for the speedy response, Brent! I used to be a big fan of 11 too, but that slight ringing in my ears suggests I should be looking more at 5 or 6 these days...

Oh hang on! You mean 11 o'clock!
Old 03-14-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzamundo View Post
Well, thanks for the speedy response, Brent! I used to be a big fan of 11 too, but that slight ringing in my ears suggests I should be looking more at 5 or 6 these days...

Oh hang on! You mean 11 o'clock!
Right -- and with you Brits 11 o'clock is the same as my 11 o'clock, unlike mid-afternoon which may either be 3pm or fifteen-hundred, depending on how deeply your mind was imprinted by your stint in The Regiment.

Couch Standards
Old 03-14-2019, 12:15 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Here's a handy way to work: On the monitor volume control you will be using, set the control to an easily verifiable and reproducible position like 9 o'clock or 12 o'clock. Turn the other volume (interface?) down all the way. If you want to, mark that location exactly with a grease pencil. Grease pencil comes off most things with rubbing alcohol. Now, pull out your smart phone and load your sound pressure meter. What? You don't have one? They are available free for most smart phones so download one.

Now put on a nicely recorded commercial recording of a band, put it in your DAW, and play it back at the meter level you consider to be "0" or full saturation - the level you will be mixing to. Get a section of music that stays at that level for a while. Now raise the "other" volume control (interface) until the sound level meter shows 80db. Now mark the "other" (interface) volume knob where it rests in case some visiting kid or cousin Fred tweaks your knobs. Why 80db?

1. You are now calibrated to a sound level that OSHA says you can tolerate for eight hours without damage. Doctors agree. You can go a bit higher for short bursts and you can go lower all you want, but keep it at 80 or below for long exposures.
2. You are now in the region where your ears have their flattest response, and that is 80-85db.

Personally, 85db drives me through the back wall in no time at all and leaves me fatigued. I typically work around 70-75db when I'm on all day. I'm pretty keen to fatigue - I can now sense when the monitors are high enough that I'll regret it later. Also be aware that a mix can show as 80db but a particular sound can be pushing through louder and can fatigue you at that one frequency band while the rest sounds fine.

They are your ears, you main contact with sound and music. Protect them.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

Last edited by Bob Womack; 03-14-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:53 PM

Good stuff from Bob.

Couch Standards
Old 03-15-2019, 03:40 AM

Default Many thanks Bob!

Hi Bob, thanks for your excellent instructions! Can't wait to try that out - controller is arriving this afternoon.

I too am keen to preserve my hearing for as long as possible, though I fear I'm losing it just a little (it's an age thing).

An SPL meter is a great idea too - never knew they existed, I'm just Googling that now.

It's been a couple of years since I've been on the forum - good to see it remains a place were nice, normal, down-to-earth types like you and Brent hang out!

Thanks again
Gary
Old 03-15-2019, 06:29 AM

I have a Mackie Bog Knob - 2 computers, 1 set of decent monitors and a set of box-type computer speakers. For 'everyday' internet use, I use 1 computer and the computer speakers. For recording/mixing I use the 2nd computer and the monitors.
I always turn the volume control on my interface to 0 before turning it on/off, and adjust the listening volume with it. I leave the Big Knob at 100% - except for the occasional time when using the monitors with the internet computer.
Why this choice? The Big Knob is passive (no power), so I assume that the volume potentiometer on the Big Knob does not impart any distortion when cranked fully (as a powered device volume control will usually demonstrate).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-22-2019, 04:34 AM

Thanks for your input (no pun intended!) Mike.

My Big Knob is up and running (there's something I thought I'd never write!), following Bob's suggestions.

I downloaded a couple of free SPL apps and turned the volume up til I got a reading of 80dB. This was actually a fair bit louder than I normally monitor, I'd rarely turn it up that high. It's good to know that I shouldn't be doing my hearing any harm monitoring at my usual levels.

Next step is deciding what to put on the end of the second set of audio outs. Debating on getting an Avantone Active Monitor to do the old "mixing in mono" trick, or just plug in my old Roberts radio to hear what my mixes sound like coming out of a cheap radio speaker.

Thanks for your help guys!

Gary
Old 03-22-2019, 05:24 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Glad you got it sorted!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD