The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-12-2019, 07:06 PM

Default Another garage band question

Is it possible to vary the sounds on a specific track. I have a keyboard track that starts with "classic suitcase" and want the bridge to change to a "bright synth string" sound. Can't figure out if it's possible. Oh, and by the way, did I mention I'm a novice (if you couldn't already tell!)
THANKS
LK
Old 03-12-2019, 07:45 PM

Yes it's possible to do that in several ways. The easiest is if you just create another track and assign whatever instrument you want to it.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
Is it possible to vary the sounds on a specific track. I have a keyboard track that starts with "classic suitcase" and want the bridge to change to a "bright synth string" sound. Can't figure out if it's possible. Oh, and by the way, did I mention I'm a novice (if you couldn't already tell!)
THANKS
LK
I think what you're asking is if you can assign different software instruments to different regions in the same track. As far as I know you can't but I'm not sure about that.
In any case it makes way more sense to do what runamuck suggests because you'll end up with complete control over your tracks in the editing and mixing stages.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

I am a Mac guy but have never used GB
That said it would depend if GB has automation on the VI plugin itself and you can select different instruments as part of the automation
If not, then as per runamuck a second track (and if GB has at least track "mute" as an automation selection) And you already have the midi notes recorded ,,,, Then you can simply duplicate the track to a second track with the synth strings muted until the bridge, and have the classic suitcase mute at the bridge on the original track
OR simply copy and paste ( or drag and drop if GB does that ) the bridge midi notes into a second track/different instrument , and delete them in the 1st track

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-13-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:27 PM

The other way this can be done, other than creating an additional track, is by using MIDI CC data. But it's complicated and not worth the effort.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:02 PM

Many thanks for the tips! Runamuck, great solution

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD