The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-12-2019, 07:02 PM

Default Fretboard separating at the nut (Seagull S6)

Hey guys, looking for some help here. When I was replacing strings on my ~20 y/o Seagull S6, I noticed that when I took the old strings off the fretboard was separating slightly at the nut, running down a little past the 1st fret. Its minor so in the second picture I pinched it back down with my fingers.

I've never done any repairs to my guitar before. Is this something I can repair, a re-glue maybe?

Is there no way to upload photos from your desktop? I have 2 but only see linking option... Thanks!

Marc
Old 03-13-2019, 02:58 AM

Pictures would be good, but your description is pretty good as well.

If its just the fretboard section that is seperating form the neck, then some titebond glue into the gap on each side, couple of clamps over night and job done, if the split is below the fretboard and in the actual neck itself, i would want a photo before offering advice

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-13-2019, 06:47 AM

Thanks Steve, very helpful. All signs point to a separation, not a neck issue. Just checked the site here, you have to use a website for uploading pics (use of URL, not desktop), let me see if I can get them up somewhere to share.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2019, 07:13 AM

If you've never done repairs before:

careful with your clamping. Use rags/yoga mat/ and then a block of wood between the clamps and the workpiece. The last thing you want is a big clamp mark in the fretboard/neck.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

You may want to look into how Seagull has their torsion rod set up in there especially if the adjustment is done from the headstock side. You don’t want to get glue all over threads on the rod if they are exposed.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair